PDA

View Full Version : Teamspeak for OS X Users!

Soulstorm
Oct 15, 2005, 11:22 AM
I just found out that there is a Teamspeak client for OS X coming out shortly. It's named TeamSpeex (http://www.savvy.nl/blog/).

I'm so happy, I just can't wait to play WOW with this... :)

chaosbunny
Oct 16, 2005, 06:52 AM
Hey, thanks for this information! I put the link in my bookmarks, hope it's availiable soon! :)

mercuryjones
Oct 16, 2005, 07:50 AM
Sweet.

Now, I can look into finally gaming a little on my iBook (very little until I get a serious upgrade - c'mon Mactel iBook)

gaomay
Oct 16, 2005, 09:26 AM
Yeah this is damned good news for Mac gaming.

mojohanna
Oct 16, 2005, 09:50 AM
Problem is they have been saying that it is coming for at least a year now :mad: . I can't imagine that it is that diffucult to create this type of system for OSX. I am not a programmer so I subscribe to the "if it seems like it should be easy, it is probably the most difficult, and if it seem like it would be difficult, it is probably easy" theory.

Ventrilo is also supposed to be developing a mac client as well.

Soulstorm
Oct 16, 2005, 02:50 PM
Problem is they have been saying that it is coming for at least a year now :mad: . I can't imagine that it is that diffucult to create this type of system for OSX. I am not a programmer so I subscribe to the "if it seems like it should be easy, it is probably the most difficult, and if it seem like it would be difficult, it is probably easy" theory.

Ventrilo is also supposed to be developing a mac client as well.
Read carefully the link... This teamspeak client that was in development has nothing to do with teamspeex.

crazzyeddie
Oct 16, 2005, 11:28 PM
This is a great client. Small, slim, free and it works!

Soulstorm
Oct 17, 2005, 02:31 AM
I downloaded yesterday... It got me a few hours to find some servers to test it, but eventually, I did, and it worked flawlessly!

Santaduck
Oct 17, 2005, 04:57 AM
Public beta has now been released (http://macologist.org/viewtopic.php?t=2060) for everyone.

UPDATE: the developer's download page has been swamped and unreachable due to demand. See the above news link for mirror URLs.

madmax_2069
Oct 17, 2005, 06:53 AM
It's about time Mac get's some gamin lovin

Veldek
Oct 17, 2005, 11:28 AM
Hmm, I tried to connect to the clan server of one of my friends, but it didn't connect. I can't get to the site of the developer for obvious reasons, so has anyone an idea what the problem might be?

crazzyeddie
Oct 17, 2005, 01:46 PM
Hmm, I tried to connect to the clan server of one of my friends, but it didn't connect. I can't get to the site of the developer for obvious reasons, so has anyone an idea what the problem might be?

The server has to be using a the speex compressor for this client to work. If it is, then I would check firewall issues next.

gaomay
Oct 17, 2005, 02:06 PM
OK so how do I register with a server using this software?

Santaduck
Oct 17, 2005, 02:26 PM
anyone else have the issue where you can hear other Windows users just fine, but you can't hear other Mac users connected to the same server?

Veldek
Oct 17, 2005, 03:16 PM
The server has to be using a the speex compressor for this client to work. If it is, then I would check firewall issues next.I'll check this tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Santaduck
Oct 17, 2005, 11:42 PM
The developer just told me that his website is NOT down due to high demand.

It has actually been DDoS'd, and is down until at least tomorrow. We're getting a couple of known bugs worked out. If you're a beta-test type and would like to participate (i.e. systematically looking for bugs, rather than just playing), drop me a PM here.

chaosbunny
Oct 18, 2005, 04:15 AM
I wasn't able to download it yet, I think the site must have been down already when I first tried it. Hope he brings it up again soon. :o

Catfish Jones
Oct 18, 2005, 09:34 AM
Problem is they have been saying that it is coming for at least a year now :mad: .
And here I was reading the thread title and getting all excited about a release. Yep, I've been hearing this trumpet for a while now... I'll believe it when I have the client running on my machine.

freeorangeshoes
Oct 18, 2005, 02:12 PM
And here I was reading the thread title and getting all excited about a release. Yep, I've been hearing this trumpet for a while now... I'll believe it when I have the client running on my machine.

they just released a public beta...

Soulstorm
Oct 18, 2005, 03:31 PM
This thing is programmed by AN INDIVIDUAL who just needed it. It didn't have anything to do with the official Teamspeak release (at least in the begginning). As for the program... I have it and though it has only the basic functions, it works flawlessly for me.

Santaduck
Oct 18, 2005, 04:42 PM
Ditto what Soulstorm said:

This is NOT an official release from Teamspeak.

The Mac client was written by a frustrated Mac user tired of waiting-- he was so tired, he went and wrote it himself.

And now, apparently, he's been threatened with legal action from the official Teamspeak Communication Systems. :eek:

chaosbunny
Oct 19, 2005, 09:48 AM
Ditto what Soulstorm said:

This is NOT an official release from Teamspeak.

The Mac client was written by a frustrated Mac user tired of waiting-- he was so tired, he went and wrote it himself.

And now, apparently, he's been threatened with legal action from the official Teamspeak Communication Systems. :eek:

This explains why his site is still down. Sadly I wasn't able to download the program, and I was so happy I'd finally have teamspeak on our molten core run on friday.
:(
Anybody knows of another place to get it?

Catfish Jones
Oct 19, 2005, 10:36 AM
And so the epic tragedy of Teamspeak for Mac continues. Since the gifted G5s, the release date always been just over the horizon.

There's a word for this sort of thing, vaporware.

Good on the frustrated user, that knock-off Teamspeak will be floating around P2P networks for a good deal of time to come.

kainjow
Oct 19, 2005, 01:16 PM
Meh, Skype works fine - cross platform.

That's why I use a PC for gaming - no missing out on stupid things like this ;)

chaosbunny
Oct 19, 2005, 02:44 PM
Um, would perhaps anybody who downloaded it be so kind to email me the installer? Please PM me, I'd be forever grateful. :o

Nikore
Oct 19, 2005, 03:23 PM
For all thoughs that are looking for the installer, if you go to google and type in "Teamspeex" you should beable to find a few mirrors who have install file (such as Mac Update). I would link it, but givin the legal trubles they might be haveing (according to teamspeaks site they are just "talking") I dont want to get in trubel here. Thats where I got it after there site went down if that dosn't work I'll come up with a way to host it.

chaosbunny
Oct 19, 2005, 04:52 PM
For all thoughs that are looking for the installer, if you go to google and type in "Teamspeex" you should beable to find a few mirrors who have install file (such as Mac Update). I would link it, but givin the legal trubles they might be haveing (according to teamspeaks site they are just "talking") I dont want to get in trubel here. Thats where I got it after there site went down if that dosn't work I'll come up with a way to host it.

found it thx. :D

shortyjj
Oct 26, 2005, 07:55 AM
Got it last night, worked fine... though we still got pwned in MC.

AoWolf
Oct 26, 2005, 09:25 AM
Got it last night, worked fine... though we still got pwned in MC.

How do you get pwned in MC if your all on TS? ;)

mojohanna
Oct 28, 2005, 07:02 PM

Limited number of users though.

Soulstorm
Nov 15, 2005, 03:54 AM
Beta 2 released. Among many fixes, there is Panther support and voice activation.

Remarkable how one man during 2 months was able to do what a team of programmers failed to do in 2 years.

satans_banjo
Nov 17, 2005, 02:00 AM
i'm waiting for the version with the overlay

and a game which some of my friends have so i can actually talk to them

heaven
Nov 17, 2005, 07:41 AM

Yep. Skype is the way out meanwhile :cool: