PDA

View Full Version : Surround sound out of mac to home theater?

Outkast27
Mar 1, 2013, 12:20 AM
I would like to combine my mbpr into my home stereo. One of the questions I have is, can I get 5.1 surround sound out of my mac? If so will it come out the 3.5/optical out? or the usb? If I get a usb dac will I need a 5.1 channel dac? same question for the 3.5mm/optical out.

unfrostedpoptar
Mar 1, 2013, 06:18 PM
I would like to combine my mbpr into my home stereo. One of the questions I have is, can I get 5.1 surround sound out of my mac? If so will it come out the 3.5/optical out?
Yes

or the usb?

Yes, if you buy a USB sound card / DAC. Why would you do this if your home theater has an optical input? This route would cost a lot more and require a receiver with 6 analog inputs (lf, rf, ls, rs, lfe, center).
I do this with an old DVD/SACD/DVD-A player from pre-HMDI days but almost no receivers made today will have these inputs.

If I get a usb dac will I need a 5.1 channel dac?
See above.

same question for the 3.5mm/optical out.
See above.

The big question is what inputs does your receiver have? Optical digital? Coax Digital? HDMI? 6-channel analog?

Outkast27
Mar 1, 2013, 09:19 PM
As of now my preamp only has rcas in. Im looking to upgrade it. Im also collecting this info so I know what to look for in a preamp as far as inputs.

unfrostedpoptar
Mar 3, 2013, 04:06 PM
As of now my preamp only has rcas in. Im looking to upgrade it. Im also collecting this info so I know what to look for in a preamp as far as inputs.

If you just want audio, just use optical through the headphone/digital-out jack on the rMBP. I'm listening right now that way.

If you want video also, use HDMI with a TB->HDMI adapter on the rMBP.

Any new AV receiver should have both of these inputs.

Outkast27
Mar 3, 2013, 09:10 PM
If you just want audio, just use optical through the headphone/digital-out jack on the rMBP. I'm listening right now that way.

If you want video also, use HDMI with a TB->HDMI adapter on the rMBP.

Any new AV receiver should have both of these inputs.

Im going to try that when I decide what preamp to upgrade to. How does it sound to you? What is your stereo setup? Just curious.