PDA

View Full Version : .avi on new iPod?

asherman13
Oct 15, 2005, 01:04 PM
hey everybody, i'm just wondering if anybody knows if the new iPod can play .avi files? that's probably going to play a big part in whether or not i get a new ipod or a nano...

please excuse my lack of quicktime format/codec knowledge...

moot
Oct 15, 2005, 01:08 PM
No, it wont

Try reading some of the other threads about the new video ipod to see what type of videos can be played.

briangig
Oct 15, 2005, 01:12 PM
wait a minute...what about an avi encoded in h.264? I havent read up alot on the video ipod though...

moot
Oct 15, 2005, 01:18 PM
This is the spec page from the apple site (http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html)

It says under video suport:

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file format

So it looks like no .avi, Sorry.

asherman13
Oct 15, 2005, 01:21 PM
fyi, this (http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/) is illegal as you can get; found it in this thread (/forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=154798). haven't tried it yet, but it looks good enough for me, since i was wondering about the .avi files produced by the forty-two ripping software.

Loge
Oct 15, 2005, 01:37 PM
fyi, this (http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/) is illegal as you can get

Is anyone going to care? It's not like you're mugging an old lady or something.

asherman13
Oct 15, 2005, 01:41 PM
Is anyone going to care? It's not like you're mugging an old lady or something.

no, more like you're "mugging" an exec of sony, paramount, disney, etc...which IS in violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (which doesn't violate the Betamax decision, contrary to some opinions)...i dont care, what people do is their business; don't really want to get into a fight about it...

the_freddinator
Oct 15, 2005, 01:53 PM
no, more like you're "mugging" an exec of sony, paramount, disney, etc...which IS in violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (which doesn't violate the Betamax decision, contrary to some opinions)...i dont care, what people do is their business; don't really want to get into a fight about it...

Well it's going to happen inevitably. You're more prone to getting in trouble if you redistrib the ripped copy, though. If you've bought the DVD then there isn't much of a problem with putting it on your HD (or portable HD [ipod])

asherman13
Oct 15, 2005, 01:54 PM
Well it's going to happen inevitably. You're more prone to getting in trouble if you redistrib the ripped copy, though. If you've bought the DVD then there isn't much of a problem with putting it on your HD (or portable HD [ipod])

i agree wholeheartedly.

moot
Oct 15, 2005, 01:58 PM
It's going to be pretty dificult to track you down if your illigal copy remains just on your iPod or mac. Once you start torrenting it, however, you can bet those Hollywood execs are more fierce than that granny.

asherman13
Oct 15, 2005, 02:01 PM
It's going to be pretty dificult to track you down if your illigal copy remains just on your iPod or mac. Once you start torrenting it, however, you can bet those Hollywood execs are more fierce than that granny.

does itunes 6 allow you to put the videos on your ipod and delete 'em from your mac, while retaining them on your ipod?