PDA

View Full Version : Fun Idea's on mods for Macintosh's (NO FLAMING)

slooksterPSV
Oct 15, 2005, 03:20 PM
No no no, I'm not setting myself up for flaming, so just state the reason on why it wouldn't work if it wouldn't. - Don't put stuff like, that's stupid, you'd be an idiot to do that, etc. These are just thoughts.

Do you think you could take like a GameCube external screen - like the on tha connects to the gamecube and get's its power from ??? dunno where ???. Think you could take that and hook it up to a Mac Mini along with a powersupply (one small like the Mac Mini) and make your own portable computer?

A lot of people modify their macs. Heck I've seen the fishbowl one, the Picture from from a laptop (that would be cool to do), etc. What other mods can we come up with?

Take the Mac Mini, embed controls to the left and right of it. Place a monitor directly attached to the top of it (flat screen like ibook screen etc.) and use it like it was a handheld console, but with lots more features/games/etc.

I've seen the Pic with the 50 Mac Mini's stacked up making a super computer so that one's out.

Make your own iMac G4, take a monitor and get the Mac Mini embedded, on/in it somewhere.

Take apart a stereo system, embed the Mac Mini into it, make the front of the stero a monitor (iBook, Powerbook, older etc) and make your own stero system.

POST YOUR IDEA'S THAT WOULD BE NEAT - REMEMBER NO FLAMING OF ANYONE

---------------------------------------------------
I'll post more past this line if I think of some.
---------------------------------------------------

Gut the XBOX, place Mini inside. Hook connectors to the holes where the controllers go. Remove the back, hook the rest up.

Wall mount server - self explanitory. Take a Mac Mini, embed it onto a wall. Place the keyboard below it, hook up external drives for more memory. Setup OS X Server on it and you have your own wall mount server.

homerjward
Oct 15, 2005, 03:52 PM
buy case from broken g5 and fill it with mac minis for use as a render farm. although i'm not sure which would be faster--a dual 2.7ghz g5 or a bunch of minis :p :confused:
apple laptop picture frame (http://www.applefritter.com/node/4971/)

superbovine
Oct 16, 2005, 06:25 PM
buy case from broken g5 and fill it with mac minis for use as a render farm. although i'm not sure which would be faster--a dual 2.7ghz g5 or a bunch of minis :p :confused:
apple laptop picture frame (http://www.applefritter.com/node/4971/)

network latency would be your bottle neck and thus killing any hopes of a mini render farm being fast.

slooksterPSV
Oct 16, 2005, 08:27 PM
Here is another idea - I'm not sure how big the Mac Mini's are compared to the SNES, but take a Mac Mini put it in the case of a SNES, have the controller connect to the front (of course). Like I have this converter that is USB and it takes PSX or N64 Controllers. Get one of those, but for SNES. Set up snes9x or Silloutte (SP?). Setup specific keys so you can change games (on top of the SNES box) like you were to alter the keyboard.

AWESOME

ezekielrage_99
Oct 16, 2005, 09:38 PM
If you really want to see some very cool and also completely moronic Mac Mini mods check out 123 Mac Mini (http://www.123macmini.com/) the site will give you some good ideas for a Mac Mini along with the stuff you really shouldn't do.
A couple of fun stuff to look out for is the Millenuim Falcon Mac Mini (with intructions on how to put a Mac Mini in a Star Wars Toy) and the 20 Stack Mac Mini Render farm (personally for the price I would have gone for G5s).

slooksterPSV
Oct 19, 2005, 10:59 PM
I love it, that is awesome -that site- I just thought of another one:
This is more of an accessory though. A wall mount/desk mount for the Mini, so you can put it on its side - no one would even know.

AOpen makes me angry, they're going to come out with a look alike, because they want more PC buyers to think they're getting something special. Get a Mac, there you have something that won't lose its value in 2 days.

alfadog
Oct 22, 2005, 10:37 AM
I am new to Macs but it sounds like you are proposing something similar to the creativeness being explored with the mini-itx platform (http://mini-itx.com).

Good luck! I look forward to seeing the results.
John
alfadog