Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chankane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Hawaii
WTF?? :confused:

For those that cannot see the pic document. It show's the Storage space for a MacBookProHD and 3 external HD's. They all have their "fair shares" of "Other" disk space, however there is one that carries a whopping 745GB's of OTHER disk space!!! WTH?? :eek:

I counted the space of the folders and at most it was about 275GB's total, I have no other folder, especially one that holds 745GB's! :confused:

This "Other" is NOT: 1) Time Machine, not 2) "oh, you must have other graphic type files in it", and not 3) "e-mail from your mail carrier". I've used Disk Utility to Verify, Erase, etc... no avail...

Very curious if anyone can give a simple answer of: 1) what is it, and 2) how do I get rid of it? (omnisweep is NOT the answer).

Appreciate any logical response!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-02 at 1.39.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-02 at 1.39.28 PM.png
    176 KB · Views: 172

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

chankane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Hawaii
Thanks GGJ!

Thank you for the very comprehensive and thorough reply!

However, I juuuusst found out why.... I needed to empty the trash... Apparently when files are "deleted" they are really just "moved to the trash" which is in some kind of a invisible folder or state called "Other" which needs to to emptied to free up space...

I knew it was a simple thing! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.