PDA

View Full Version : GP2X, the new GP32! :D

Poff
Oct 16, 2005, 04:27 AM
So I finally saw some pictures yesterday, on lik-sang.com. Seems this thing will rock!

http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/gp2x.jpg

For those of you who never heard about the GP32, it was a gaming machine with mostly homebrew-stuff, also powerful enough to run emulators of many consoles.
Original GP32:
http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/newgp323.jpg
Unfortunately, I didn't hear about it until lately, but it had its own cult of fans.

This new GP2X, however, I want to get. It's actually quite cheap ($180), runs linux, has 64MB flash memory, supports SD-cards, Plays all kinds of cool homebrew games to come (!), and even has a TV OUT! so its 320*240 screen will be amplified to a 640*480 TV-output. :D

I really hope some of the small game-companies will take interest in this thing too. Would be cool with some high-quality games, as you could get on the GP32. Time will tell how the USB-connection works on a Mac, which I hope will be all-right...

http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/gp2x1.jpg

Dagless
Oct 16, 2005, 07:10 AM
I really want one of these. the ultimate homebrew portable machine. i mean it costs just over 100, takes SD/CF cards (forgot which, either way they're dirt cheap) and thats it. no need for extra battery packs or anything else. few commercial, even fewer english translated games for it.

As Sony tighten their grip on homebrew for the PSP, and games are starting to emerge that need to updated firmwares... and with the new video-enabled iPod... Sony really have to get some class games out now. but meh! i want the GPX2. thankfully some company are making an exporter so i can play my own freeware games on this thing!

the battery life is around 10 hours too. heh. if this thing hits the shops its going to be a serious competitor for even the DS!

Poff
Oct 18, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah. I wonder what crazy stuff will be ported to this.

I mean, the GP32 had ScummVM so you could get DOTT, Sam&Max and stuff. They also had a lot of cool emulators, so Metal Gear Solid 2 and Super Mario Bros 3 and stuff will play. Even Quake looked great for a prev-gen handheld.

How much I'll program myself in the future will decide if I actually GET the GP2X tho..

risc
Oct 18, 2005, 03:18 PM
....and with the new video-enabled iPod...

LOL - um the video iPod has 2 hours of battery life when playing video, it actually makes the PSP look good. I'll keep an eye on the GP2X but at the moment it doesn't do much for me.

bokdol
Oct 20, 2005, 09:22 AM
does anyone know the specs on the machine? and how powerfull is it compared to the psp? 6 hours of video seems cool.

Dagless
Oct 20, 2005, 10:49 AM
2x200MHz CPUs
64mb Ram

which means nothing at all when you look at the sort of things it can run (Duke 3D, Doom, every bleedin emulator going).
the price has been upped to 124 now. still its a reasonable price for a portable video playing, emulator machine.

Xeem
Oct 20, 2005, 12:40 PM
LOL - um the video iPod has 2 hours of battery life when playing video, it actually makes the PSP look good.

Nah, they both suck. PSPs are a little better, but they can barely finish a UMD movie in my experience.

Poff
Oct 21, 2005, 05:30 AM
2x200MHz CPUs
64mb Ram

which means nothing at all when you look at the sort of things it can run (Duke 3D, Doom, every bleedin emulator going).
the price has been upped to 124 now. still its a reasonable price for a portable video playing, emulator machine.

Actually, the previous version ran Duke3D and Doom and stuff.

If the XBox can run a scaled-down version of Doom3 with a 700MHz processor, so can the GP2X. That's my guess.

Dagless
Oct 21, 2005, 09:06 AM
It will probably produce graphics just a little better than the DS I reckon! however using the stereotypical gamers way of thinking that makes it better than the DS.

greatdevourer
Oct 21, 2005, 10:43 AM
Actually, the previous version ran Duke3D and Doom and stuff.

If the XBox can run a scaled-down version of Doom3 with a 700MHz processor, so can the GP2X. That's my guess. Have you seen the XBox version? *insert puke smiley (would it be called a smiley if he were puking?)*

Poff
Oct 21, 2005, 05:42 PM
(would it be called a smiley if he were puking?)*

That's a good question. They call these smileys: :eek: :confused: :( :mad: Why, I don't know.

I haven't seen it myself, but there was a reason that I wrote scaled down. :cool: <-- this is definitely a smiley!

storage
Oct 22, 2005, 11:45 AM
The GP2X looks great! So, now I have a real dilemma! I can't decide if I should buy a PSP or a GP2X!

The GP2X will allow me to play games using emulators, without having to downgrade/upgrade the firmware all the time, but will not allow me to play the few PSP games I would like to play. It's also $80 or so cheaper than the PSP.

The PSP will let me play the emulator games, but I'll have to downgrade/upgrade the firmware all the time. I will also be able to play a few games for the PSP that I can't play on the GP2X (GTA among others), but it costs more.

Can anyone help this lost soul?

Thanks!

Edit: Does anyone know if the ceramic-white GP2X will be available at the same time as the black one?

bokdol
Oct 26, 2005, 09:49 AM
any one have any idea when regular games are going to be made for it... seems like more of a development kit for the average user. i would love to see some 3rd party companies make games for it.

Dagless
Oct 26, 2005, 10:31 AM
bokdol; the GP2X is not really a commercial games system. You put down the 130 and thats it. Where people always say that the "DS and PSP are totally different systems" are wrong, this really is the different system.

of course you need SD cards but they are just so common nowadays that pretty much everyone with a camera, modern phone, pocket PC or Palm has at least one. which is also why they are just cheap too.

storage; right now I'd go for the GP2X. just because it is cheaper and there are no PSP games taking my fancy. and the GP2X developers like the homebrew so theres no restrictions at all, or ever will be.

bokdol
Oct 26, 2005, 08:24 PM
ahh i see. thats kinda cool. a personal portable development kit. with linux. well i hope i can see the full power of this machine. i probably wont buy it but it would be tempting if it had better graphics then the ds. oh but all those emulated games could rock hard. hopefully a perfect emulation of samurai showdown. ohhhhhh ahhhhhhhh....

Poff
Oct 27, 2005, 04:26 AM
ahh i see. thats kinda cool. a personal portable development kit. with linux. well i hope i can see the full power of this machine. i probably wont buy it but it would be tempting if it had better graphics then the ds. oh but all those emulated games could rock hard. hopefully a perfect emulation of samurai showdown. ohhhhhh ahhhhhhhh....

well.. I guess it has better graphics than the DS.

Dagless
Oct 27, 2005, 05:47 AM
oh its got better graphics than the DS. i think it has a smaller resolution though, IIRC its 320x240. like the 5th gen iPods. that said im not sure what the DS's resolutions are!

NerdBoy
Oct 27, 2005, 08:48 AM
seems like more of a development kit for the average user. i would love to see some 3rd party companies make games for it.

You have a point. in my experience with mostly homebrew consoles , all the "third party" games are ports by other gamers.

Patmian212
Oct 27, 2005, 04:10 PM
Ok well,
I am looking for a portable gaming system and I read this thread and I am very interested! I have the following questions:
How do I play/get games for this? Sorry I dont understand how you get an emulator on the machine or in what format the games come in(cartridge, UMD, etc...)
Where can I buy it in NYC? (weblinks if possible)
What model do you guys suggest?

Poff
Oct 27, 2005, 04:22 PM
Ok well,
I am looking for a portable gaming system and I read this thread and I am very interested! I have the following questions:
How do I play/get games for this? Sorry I dont understand how you get an emulator on the machine or in what format the games come in(cartridge, UMD, etc...)
Where can I buy it in NYC? (weblinks if possible)
What model do you guys suggest?

Easy. You download it for free from the internet, and transfer to the GP2X via USB. It's the same way for movies, e-books, games or whatever. I'd just buy it from lik-sang.com if I were you. The current model is the GP2X. The GP32 is not sold anymore.

Patmian212
Oct 27, 2005, 04:39 PM
The games go on a memory stick right? Where can I get the games, are they full graphic games are more like mini games? Whats the story with emulators? It has an OS right?
Sorry for all the questions but you sparked my curiosity.

Dagless
Oct 27, 2005, 05:34 PM
The games go on a memory stick right? Where can I get the games, are they full graphic games are more like mini games? Whats the story with emulators? It has an OS right?
Sorry for all the questions but you sparked my curiosity.

Please don't call it the "Memory Stick". It takes SD/MMC cards. Games are saved on that, there is 32mb built in but I'm not sure if you can use that as a mini internal drive or not. It has an OS, its a mini form of Linux and with a little tweaking can get any Linux app to run on it. Which is why there is a GP2X version of Duke 3D, Doom, Quake 1+2, every emulator under the sun and of course lots of other games (I just remember the ones that are important to me :) ).
Theres also one of those mini USB ports which connects to your computer just incase you don't have an SD card reader.

Also don't think of it as another DS/PSP. its far far from it. think of it as a mini Linux gaming machine. There are no 1st party games, just games online, for free. These games are probably like any other freeware game sect; there are probably a lot of small games and a few big, near commercial, games.

Just google GP2X or GPX2. There is a massive site, the big main hub of Gamepark activity which has pretty much all the apps available. I forget the address but you will certainly know what it is when you find it. its fairly massive.