PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite games? (EXPLAIN WHY!)

Soulstorm
Oct 16, 2005, 05:23 AM
Well, this is not another one of those "recommend me a game" or "favourite games" thread. At least, it is not intended to be for the most part.

Instead of just saying what is your favorite game, explain why it is! You don't have to mention only one, game, mention 2-3-100, as long as you provide a good reason why...

That way we can see what is the thing that makes a game so particular to everyone.

I will do the start.

My all-time favorite game is Marathon series. It is because of it's complex story-line, that can be reviewed again and again, until you figure out what the heck is going on. (Usually, you must play the games twice to understand... :) )

Another game that had drawn my attention was unreal 1, at the time it came out. I loved it's adventurous sceneries and backgrounds, presenting a world that I wanted to be in. I don't think games like those 2 come out anymore. Unreal and marathon can be played both as an adventure game and a shoot-them-all-up-and-do-it-again style.

These are games that despite their age keep me playing them even now, frequently.

fayans
Oct 16, 2005, 05:31 AM
Bookworms of which I have it on my Xda II mini. It test your power of English vocabulary. It's so addictive; at least for me. Wondering if the Mac-version is available. :D

BTW, I am not into RPG game.

Dagless
Oct 16, 2005, 07:20 AM
Turrican 1+2 Just like Metroid only without the backtracking. absurdly large levels, multiple weapons, best soundtrack ever, huge bosses, german made... absolute classic of a 2D game. Turrican 3 didn't have the super large levels so thats why I don't include that :p And the console Turricans were just foul.
I'm so surprised at the soundtrack for Turrican. It was made back in the late 80's and the first Video Games Concert kicked off with an orchestral remake of a Turrican track. just search for The Great Bath on your P2P software, Chris Huelsbeck made a free orchestral version of that. Single greatest game song ever.
Ocarina of Time 'Nuff said. the single greatest action game of all time I say. Probably will be knocked off its pedestal by Twilight Princess mind.
Tetris Addiction.
Pokemon I just really look forward to the games. Always provide at least 30-50 hours before beating the Elite 4, always a fantastic game to play through. brilliant harmless fun. especially with the possibilities on the DS (WiFi, touch screen, mic etc...)
F-Zero GX Single greatest racer ever IMO. Near impossible gameplay, fantastic soundtrack, so SO many unlockables. Its just addictive and the gameplay runs high without its weapons. A game I can really lose hours with.

There are more games that i like for their gameplay; any Metroid, Zelda or Mario, Mega Drive Sonic games, R-Type 3, Jet Force Gemini, any Kirby... pretty much anything by Nintendo!
games I like for their graphics and atmosphere; Doom 3, Half Life 2, Nanostray.
games I like for their soundtracks; Panzer Dragoon Orta, Turrican 3.

Kalinatek
Oct 16, 2005, 08:02 AM
Sensible World of Soccer (on the Amiga) : its the best football game of all time , the gameplay is fast the way it should be ! the graphics are simple,i like the market where u can buy players from and also sell some from your team, the career is also nice where u choose a team then imrpove it by winning matches and trying out loaned/trial players.

the tactis are also nice , u can load one made by u that works best for ur players.

:cool:

Patmian212
Oct 16, 2005, 08:04 AM
FREELANCER- I love it because it has nice graphics, good soundtrack and the universe is HUGE. I have never seen a universe as big as this on in any other game. I also love the fact that you can do whatever you want because they dont force you to follow the story line.I have been playing this game 2 years and I still have some uncharted places on my map.

CM/FM SERIES- I like this game simply because I love football. CM back then and FM now is the most realistic simulation ever. The game is mainly text based but it has the biggest player and club database I have ever seen and it has some cool features like media interviews and manager mind games.

Tommyg117
Oct 16, 2005, 10:04 AM
Ocarina of time-Still stands out in my mind even after I played it almost 5 years ago, I actually found a copy of it for gamecube and started playing it all over again yesterday. Its got a great story and was revolutionary to the 3d adventure series.

Resident Evil 4- I did NOT expect this one. I hated the other games in this series but this one is TOTALLY different. Graphics are insane, story is awesome, and the atmosphere is ridiculously scary. I could replay this one forever.

God of War- Same as resident evil 4. Story, graphics, and gameplay=unbelievable.

Metal Gear Solid 1-3- A series that keeps getting better. It gives the most intense action scenes while maintaining a little humor.

Megaman 2 and 3-Revolutionized action games and 2d platforming/action. Still two of the best soundtracks around.

Dagless
Oct 16, 2005, 10:28 AM
Metal Gear Solid 1-3- A series that keeps getting better. It gives the most intense action scenes while maintaining a little humor.

I found it the other way around. I played an hour or 2 of MGS2 only to be horrendously shocked at how much worse it was to MGS1, same with 3. but MGS1 a downright fantastic of a game with a storyline that will be spoke of for decades to come. IMO. of course.

BlizzardBomb
Oct 16, 2005, 11:27 AM
Super Smash Bros. and Smash Bros. Melee! They were so fast-paced and unlike any other fighter I've played. Having 4 human players is a laugh, especially when you can't seem to find where you walked your character off to ;)

whooleytoo
Oct 16, 2005, 11:36 AM
Ocarina of Time 'Nuff said. the single greatest action game of all time I say. Probably will be knocked off its pedestal by Twilight Princess mind.

Great game, though I actually preferred Majora's Mask. You're in a 'Groundhog Day' scenario where you're reliving three days over and over before a calamity happens, and you have to try and solve several puzzles in that period of time before you're forced to go back and start again.

I can't wait for Twilight Princess, it looks darker and more complex. The one problem with the Zelda series is that the gamers who started off playing Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time probably want a very different game than children who are starting to play them now.

whooleytoo
Oct 16, 2005, 11:44 AM
I found it the other way around. I played an hour or 2 of MGS2 only to be horrendously shocked at how much worse it was to MGS1, same with 3. but MGS1 a downright fantastic of a game with a storyline that will be spoke of for decades to come. IMO. of course.

I haven't played 3, but what annoyed me about MGS2 were the endless interruptions to the gameplay. If the entire game took (say) 24 hours to finish, only about 10 would be actual gameplay, the rest spent listening to conversations or watching the cutscenes.

For a game in a vaguely similar mould - I'd go for any of the Splinter Cells.

For one of the scariest levels in any game, I'd go for Thief - Deadly Shadows. I don't recall the name of the level, but it's the orphanage / asylum level. Scared the pants off me the first time I played it.

Mechcozmo
Oct 16, 2005, 11:50 AM
Homeworld-- This game forces you to think in 3D, in real-time, and deal with what you have and what you can learn now. It has amazing graphics, an amazing storyline, and amazing gameplay. It deserved the 1999 Game of the Year win. It is also really hard. No cheats-- I like that.

Starcraft-- Simple... Zerg+Blood Bath=Zergling Rush. I love it.

Whyren
Oct 16, 2005, 12:27 PM
I'd still have to tout Marathon. Reasons: excellent storyline (if you take the time to read all the terminals), smooth multiplayer, and the ability to create your own maps, shapes, physics, weapons, etc. (which for the time was fairly impressive...and much more intuitive than some current map editors).

LOL. Even better, throw in a bunch of siege-mode tanks in the mix.

Great game, though I actually preferred Majora's Mask. You're in a 'Groundhog Day' scenario where you're reliving three days over and over before a calamity happens, and you have to try and solve several puzzles in that period of time before you're forced to go back and start again.

Ocarina would be my favorite too, but in some ways Majora has you connect with characters more, and it is a very unique game scenario. When I first heard "you only have 72 minutes to complete the game," I never thought it'd work, but it does quite well (even though while breaking a few time-space continuum rules :p)

ZoomZoomZoom
Oct 16, 2005, 12:52 PM
This question is really hard to answer. I have favorite games for most genres, but it's really hard to compare a game like Quake to a game like Command and Conquer.

FPS Game - Halo 2 - In my opinion the best FPS shooter out there. Beautiful, simple, and just plainly without competition in my eyes.
RTS Game - Starcraft - One of my first games, and still one of the best RTS games out there.
RPG Game - Tales of Phantasia - Old game, and I wish that they would release a good update for it to run on mac/pc. It's a hard decision between this, Chrono Trigger, and the Final Fantasies, but ToP still comes out on top. (No pun intended)

xelterran
Oct 16, 2005, 01:17 PM

scv rush > zerg rush on bloodbath

rickvanr
Oct 16, 2005, 01:18 PM
On my Mac.. Sim City 2000 and Sim Tower; Many hours were wasted playing these games. I like building things, the above games were simple yet complex. Great fun.

On a console.. Blades of Steel, followed by the EA NHL games. Love hockey, the above games are tonnes of fun with a second player, or by yourself.

joepunk
Oct 16, 2005, 02:29 PM
Escape Velocity Series : In only a few words "Monty Python manuvre." A Monty Python is when you are running away from a chasing ship and you turn around to fire at your persuer while still going in the same direction :D Also, because many people create great add-ons and Total Conversions for the games.

dubbz
Oct 16, 2005, 02:32 PM
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
(Also Baldur's Gate, ToSC, and Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal)

It's my favorite game(s) because they had a great story and just overall fun gameplay. Not to mention that with the games combined, and even when just considering SoA, there's some serious length to the games, compared to games today that you can play through in a couple of days (though some will certainly not agree with this).

It's pretty lowres, but the background artwork is timeless, and looks good even today. The music was, and still is, brilliant and though not every line of text was accompanied by voice overs, the lines that was, were of very high quality.

The companions and people you met were very well made and you really cared for them. The in-party banter was fun and interesting, and the various relationships that formed really added to the game.

The epilogues at the end was a brilliant closure to the series, and actually had my crying at the end.

Planescape: Torment

Put in a very interesting, and sometimes bizzare, setting, and with detailed artwork. Voiceovers were brilliant. Dialogues were brilliant, and text-heavy. A great game with incredible characters that you cared for. Another of those games that really rocked me emotionally.

System Shock 2

Teh Creepy. You feel so very, very alone walking around that ship, with nothing but the journals of the ship crew and the creepy, discordant, voice of SHODAN to keep you company. It kept you on your toes, with mutated disfigured humans walking around, begging you to end their lives while at the same time trying to kill you; having to run for you life because your weapon jammed, or hiding in some room while waiting for the alarm to wear off.

It was a adrenaline rush at times, with incredible opponents and a great story. Not to mention one of the greatest villians of all time: SHODAN.

Fallout

A lot of freedom in a post apocalyptic world. A lot of freedom to make the character the way you want, and to do things your way. Being able to stealth or speak or shoot your way through most quest and many encounters was a very good thing. The story was great, really, though it wasn't forced upon you. The graphics was good enough. Much of it a desert or forsaken wastelands. The ambient music in the background added much to the game. It had some interesting characters and cities. The epilogues at the end was a very cool touch.

StarCraft
(Also StarCraft: Brood War)

Incredibly fun RTS with three very well balanced, and diverse, races. Easy to learn, while quite not as easy to master. The graphics was decent enough for the time, and the music was good. Beyond the three varied races, what really made it stand out for me was the incredible single player campain. It were very well made, and the overall story was fantastic. They really put some great work into the characters too. It really says something when, during a mission, you're forced to kill a character but you'd rather not because you actually like him and you so very much wish you didn't have to do it and you feel like a rotten bastard afterwards. And this is an RTS, for crying out loud! With a better story and character development than most RPGs out there.

No wonder it's one of my most played games. Nothing revolutionary, actually, just a very well made game with tons and tons of polish.

Hoef
Oct 16, 2005, 02:54 PM
FPS Game - Halo 2 - In my opinion the best FPS shooter out there. Beautiful, simple, and just plainly without competition in my eyes.

Hi .... Is there a reason why it is better than UT2004? I only played Halo2 on Xbox but was not impressed. I really like UT2004 on the Mac. Gives me 30 minutes of pleasure which is the amount of time that I have for playing games.

Jaffa Cake
Oct 16, 2005, 03:13 PM
CM/FM SERIES- I like this game simply because I love football. CM back then and FM now is the most realistic simulation ever. The game is mainly text based but it has the biggest player and club database I have ever seen and it has some cool features like media interviews and manager mind games.My pick too, for the reasons you describe. Very realistic, an incredible level of detail, and great reply value Ė with over 5,000 manageable teams from over 50 country's leagues, even if you manage to take one team to greatness you can always find yourself a fresh challenge.

There's also another reason I'm a fan of this game, and that's the fact that it's released as a hybrid PC/Mac disk Ė meaning I don't have to wait several months for a Mac version to be released, and I don't have to pay an inflated price for it when it finally hits the shelves. Just a minor point, but it's good to see a games developer supporting the Mac in this way.

Oh, and Kalinatek Ė I've also got some very fond memories of Sensible Soccer on the Amiga. Pixel perfect passing indeed! :D

PCMacUser
Oct 16, 2005, 05:10 PM
Half Life 2... the graphics are amazing, the gameplay brilliant, storyline interesting, and it runs on older hardware (unlike Doom 3!).

Deus Ex... revolutionary for its time - an FPS mixed with RPG - you can choose to go in shooting, or you can take the silent approach (think Thief).

Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots... hours and hours and hours and hours of replay value. I've been playing it for two years and it's still not boring! Unfortunately the Mac port isn't as nice as the PC version, but hey, at least it's an option.

Mr_Brightside_@
Oct 16, 2005, 07:11 PM
Escape Velocity Nova is the best game I've ever played, console, PC, or Mac. It's the third in the series and is definitely the best, an amazing RPG, and easy to get into even if you're new. Like (someone) said above, add-on files and total conversions make it rock even more when you're finished with its MANY different strings... check it out/ get the 30 day demo at
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

btw for any players out there, i have a majorly oufitted Raven in the Polaris string, finished, flying around with a couple million creds in the bank and several other planets conquered.

Eevee
Oct 16, 2005, 07:54 PM
This is a such a cool thread! Thanks Soulstorm :D

The only game I have on my PowerBook is the original Halo. I know it's not the best game up to date on the Mac, but sure love the multiplayer mode. Spend a lot of time online with CTF, Slayer, King of the Hill, Race...Meet some Mac people online, too.

I played Halo 2 on the console, and it was pretty cool. The graphics are sweet.

Whyren
Oct 16, 2005, 08:22 PM
Escape Velocity Nova is the best game I've ever played, console, PC, or Mac. It's the third in the series and is definitely the best, an amazing RPG, and easy to get into even if you're new. Like (someone) said above, add-on files and total conversions make it rock even more when you're finished with its MANY different strings... check it out/ get the 30 day demo at
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

btw for any players out there, i have a majorly oufitted Raven in the Polaris string, finished, flying around with a couple million creds in the bank and several other planets conquered.

I love that demo...though they found a more effective way to force purchase than Captain Hector: "Now I shall reveal the most advanced ship to you...but wait! Only those of strong enough mind to purchase EV Nova can be shown the final incarnation." Gah...clever Ambrosians...

Mechcozmo
Oct 17, 2005, 12:54 AM
scv rush > zerg rush on bloodbath

I'll kick your ass. ;) :p

robbieduncan
Oct 17, 2005, 02:24 AM
As of last night when I must have spent 7 hours playing it: Black & White 2. Took a while to get up and running (silly PC drivers) but it's great!

Kernow
Oct 17, 2005, 08:11 AM
Any Zelda Game

Ocarina of Time is still the classic - I must have replayed this all the way through 3 or 4 times - but Majora's Mask is a close second. For me it had a darker, slightly sinister feel, and the Groundhog Day repetition was a brilliant concept. It's going to be long, long wait for Twilight Princess.

Monkey Island

Humour in games rarely works, but the Monkey Island series pulled it off. Some of the puzzles are stupidly hard (and some are just stupid), but the feeling of satisfaction when you finally work out how to combine a surreal bunch of objects together to achieve a bizarre task is great. These games are worth enduring the skin crawlingly slowness of Virtual PC.

Oolite

The first ever game I played was Elite on the BBC Micro. It was phenomenly hard and took about a week to load off the tape, but the freedom and sophistication of a 3D space trading game on a computer with only 64k ( :eek: ) of memory was stunning. Oolite is a pretty faithful OSX re-write of Elite and I am still wasting hours blowing up pirates and nicking their cargo almost 20 years later.

Whyren
Oct 17, 2005, 08:18 AM
As of last night when I must have spent 7 hours playing it: Black & White 2. Took a while to get up and running (silly PC drivers) but it's great!

Black & White 1 is also a great game and time-consuming, but for some reason it crashes on the final level (with Nemesis) for me every time and I have to start the game over again (though my creature, thankfully, retains all his knowledge/skills).

kainjow
Oct 17, 2005, 08:53 AM
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (not the expansion, Frozen Throne!)

Warcraft takes so much skill to play. It's definitely one of the most complex games I've seen and played. Most RTSs just make you mass up units and try to get the best units available. But Warcraft requires not only getting good units, but 100% control of each individual unit you create. You have tons of items on your heros that need to be used at the appropriate time. There's always something to be doing every second - whether it's creeping, harassing, building units/buildlings, fighting, expanding, etc. Most standard games, like every FPS, take a few weeks to master. But Warcraft requires years of practice to master. I've been playing for about 2 years now, pretty hard core, and I still get owned by the "gosus" (although at one time my friend and I were ranked 17 on 2v2 in the East - true story!).

lasuther
Oct 17, 2005, 10:03 AM
World of Warcraft

I think this is one of the best games for the Mac. There are so many different aspects and levels of the game, Iím not sure Iíll ever experience them all. It all starts with the decision to be Horde or Alliance and moves on from there. You can play by yourself like my friend does, or with groups of players. There are Player versus Player servers were Horde and Alliance and attack each other, or servers where they canít. You have dungeon like instances where you take a 5 man crews to beat a boss for rare equipment. There is Battle Grounds where you can play capture the flag or a resource capture game 10 to 15 man teams. There are even role playing servers. And the game completely changes as you progress. Levels 1 through 20 are great for grinding out quests by your self. After level 20, the quests get harder and you start getting great equipment. Level 30 brings some great instances to run. Then you get a mount at level 40 and experience a whole game. It all leads to the end game with level 60 and 40 man raids to beat dragons and demons. Between all the races, classes, and professions, it is hard to conceive ever experiencing everything. The game has an amazing community and can be very addictive.

kainjow
Oct 17, 2005, 10:23 AM
The game has an amazing community and can be very addictive.
Yes it is. My two rooommates play it 24/7, and I had it for a few days and played it non-stop but discontinued it because of it's addictiveness.

Koodauw
Oct 17, 2005, 10:23 AM
Oregon Trail

Because I get to ford the river with my oxen

lasuther
Oct 17, 2005, 10:35 AM
Yes it is. My two rooommates play it 24/7, and I had it for a few days and played it non-stop but discontinued it because of it's addictiveness.

WoW is less of a game and more of a lifestyle.

lasuther

jalagl
Oct 17, 2005, 03:39 PM
Ocarina of Time: I skipped the N64, but played this classic when it came out for the GC. Incredible gamplay, addictive as hell, great story.

Diablo II: Also an incredibly adictive game. I just closed it because I need to write some proposals, but I'm still playing it with the Druid, the only character that I haven't beat the game with.

Civilization: Great game, for me changed strategy games forever.

X-Com: UFO Defense: My favorite game of all time. Incredible depth, strategy, tactics, and you pretty much cried when one of your best soldiers died.

harveypooka
Oct 17, 2005, 05:08 PM
Elite - it was so good all those years ago and has been a model for so many games.
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/

Jigglelicious
Oct 17, 2005, 07:56 PM
Am I the only one here that doesn't like Ocarina of Time? Ok, it wasn't bad by any means, and most of it was enjoyable. However, I found several parts frustrating, got stuck in several occasions, and I found the ending lackluster and rushed. I still feel that A Link to the Past was the best Zelda title ever released. The world felt "solid", there were tons of secrets to be had, many many dungeons (11 total, a number that seems to decrease with each new Zelda release), and an awesome soundtrack. The ending actually made me cry when I was young.

Xtremehkr
Oct 18, 2005, 12:01 AM
Civilization. I like the idea behind the game. I like what you have to do within the game, and that there are a few options for winning. It's fun, interesting, and challenging from beginning to end.

Most turned based strategy games are fun for me. The good ones stand out.

Civ, Alpha Centauri and AOE are probably the best though.

Sometimes I prefer AOE because the focus is smaller, and they include more storyline.

Cheese
Oct 18, 2005, 01:18 AM
I don't have much time for games lately. Too productive with the iMac to find time for gaming. Here in no certain order are my lame-o picks...

Kyrandia I, II, & III (these puzzles rock)
Full Throttle (and anything with motorcycles -- almost)
Space Quest 4 (Hilarious writing)
Prince (The artist formerly known as..)
Hydro Thunder (wet jet boats flying in impossible scenario's)
Stimpy's Invention (Too funny! {Sega Genesis})
Dark Gauntlet (Hours of exploration)
Space Channel 5 (THE reason to buy a Dreamcast)
Redneck Rampage (Guns, pork rinds and beer)
and of course, Doom (Bloodfest, but totally engrossing)

We need all of these ported to OSX!!!!!
Like I said, Lame-o, but they were fun at the time.

Palad1
Oct 18, 2005, 06:40 AM
Quake III Arena : Strafe jumps, Circle jumps, rocket - jumps, grenade jumps, plasma climbs, the *ponk* sound when your rocket hits the enemy and is absorbed by the armor... Q3WCTF2!!!
Alpha centauri: it's civ, in space, plus it has a _real_ story!
Turrican II: Just love the 'flamethrower' laser setting :)
R-Type: Very innovative use of the 'module'
Bard's tale: Compelling story, very funny universe.

Dagless
Oct 18, 2005, 07:35 AM
Turrican II: Just love the 'flamethrower' laser setting :)
R-Type: Very innovative use of the 'module'

marry me.

Black&Tan
Oct 18, 2005, 08:24 AM
A-10 Attack...the satisfying feeling as "the gun" shudders the airframe. then manhandling the plane in a 180 degree turn to drop bombs on advancing tanks. Just beautiful...

Also, "Forgotten Hope" is a lot of fun. The realism and variety of armour to drive and fire. Thanks for the patch Aspyr!

jdechko
Oct 18, 2005, 08:35 AM
FPS: Half-Life, Counter-Strike and Unreal Tournament, the latter are quite possibly the two favorites (still) at good ol' fashioned LAN parties (none of this XBox Live crap).

Multiplayer/Fighting: Super Smash Brothers Melee, if I can get some people to play with. It's trash talkin', button-mashin' goodness in an almost cube.

Adventure/RPG: Legend of Zelda: OoT, I only played it on the GCN, but man was it fun, and I like Wind Waker as well (actually, any Zelda games). Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime: Echoes, great game play and replay value just to run around once youve collected everything. Beautiful levels.

Other games: Splinter Cell series, I love the idea of not going in guns blazing, but having a bit of strategy in mind. I played the original game and went through while only killing 2 people (the 2 you're directly ordered to kill).. that was a challenge.

Sdashiki
Oct 18, 2005, 09:03 AM
FPS: UT2004, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty (Halo, can suck my balls, though the AI is nasty, UT is far better)

RTS: Cant go wrong with Warcraft 3 (and FT for DotA), been playing since WC one came out, and Im still not ranked higher than 36th 1v1! EVER!

Racing: Burnout: Revenge, no other game can make you grip a controller so hard, at least rated under M that is.

Fighting: Marvel vs Capcom 2, awesome framerates, crazy combos and anyone can play without knowing moves

Puzzle: Zuma! is that even a puzzle game?

RPG: Chrono Trigger, the best friggen RPG ever made EVER. Sure today you got your fancy 3D graphix and cut scenes, but Chrono Trigger was the HUGEST RPG for the SNES, spanning millenia and it had so many "secrets" you could play if 20X and not do it the same. Plus being able to keep the items/weapons you had at the end of a game, into a new game, kicked ass.

OH and Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Dehatusu 3) which is only in JP, but a translated ROM can be googled, was a friggen awesome sequel to Secret of Mana.

AND if you had a dreamcast "Skies of Arcadia" was a friggen HUGE HUGE HUGE RPG, that kicked ass.

keysersoze
Oct 18, 2005, 09:26 AM
GTA SA.

Sorry. I know it's a cliche at this point. But there's just so much to do.

kainjow
Oct 18, 2005, 09:34 AM
RTS: Cant go wrong with Warcraft 3 (and FT for DotA), been playing since WC one came out, and Im still not ranked higher than 36th 1v1! EVER!
We should 1v1 each other sometime ;)

wrldwzrd89
Oct 18, 2005, 09:53 AM
Kingdom of Loathing (link) (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/)

One of those web-based MMORPGs - it's free to join and free to play. It has some curious parallels with real life - for example, there's a drug you can get addicted to, you can get drunk, you can get full from eating too much food, and you can even get sick.

It's also one of the least demanding MMORPGs I've ever played - all you have to do to keep up is play once a day and use up your daily allotment of adventures.

TheGimp
Oct 18, 2005, 11:31 AM
Colin Mcrae Rally 2005 plus (PSP, from memory stick at 333mhz)
--> amazing deep strategy, very challenging yet gets more and more fun the more time you invest in it, best example of supreme artistic *direction* helping to make the most of limited system resources (i.e. knowing which "strokes of the brush" can be left out and still have the same effect), amazing physics with respect to road surface-wheel interaction, alternatingly punishing and forgiving; eye, ear, and nose candy.

Infocom games: Zork 1, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and Infidel

Wipeout XL (PS1) and Wipeout Pure (PSP) - soul liberating, shakti raising, perfect integration of soundtrack and gameplay experience (especially PSP). Rewarding and mind expanding gameplay.

Spacequest 1 and (most) the early King's Quest games from Sierra.

Waverace 64. In it's day, it was for me the best racing experience.

Myst 1 (not 3D version)

Out of This World (Amiga) Great (but short)adventure, the few frustrating moments notwithstanding. Shows how when cinematic direction-a certain camera angle here, another there-is allowed to hold sway over resource-eating graphical gimmicks, whatcan result is the evocation of a mood and otherworldly sense that extends well beyond what is graphically represented. Highly recommended, but be prepared for a frustrating action sequence at the beginning.

Ninja Gaiden (xbox) This belongs on the list, despite being too hard for me. I plan to finish it on my Xbox 360

Lumines&Meteos- my two all time favorite puzzle games. The yin and yang of puzzle gaming.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Ms. Pac Man - I play this all the time on my PSP. It's probably the only game that I could always play even in the deepest depression.

R-type (I would have said that even without having seen it above)
Brings back my fondest Amiga days

Speedball 1&2 (Amiga) Great 2 player action that had a friend and me battling for months.

Castlevania DS (haven't played the others, but this one has me hooked)
Kirby Canvas Curse- an instant classic in my book. I will be playing this on emulators long after the last mint condition Nintendo DS has been sold on ebay for $1000

Halo 2 (duh) - This engrossed me for an entire summer.
Resident Evil 4 - too good and too scary. I had to stop this game and leave my Gamecube at my girlfriend's place until classes end.

Dagless
Oct 18, 2005, 11:44 AM
AND if you had a dreamcast "Skies of Arcadia" was a friggen HUGE HUGE HUGE RPG, that kicked ass.

You can get that on the GC now. my girlfriend loves it but she'd say that Tales of Symphonia was better. hell shes comparing that to Final Fantasy 7 :eek:

devilot
Oct 18, 2005, 11:47 AM
Puzzle: Zuma! is that even a puzzle game?Haha, I think so. I love that game... I got a slightly different version of it called, Luxor. Hee. Didn't think anybody else played it. :o

Palad1
Oct 18, 2005, 11:49 AM
marry me.
That'd be illegal in my country :p

keysersoze
Oct 18, 2005, 11:53 AM
Castlevania DS (haven't played the others, but this one has me hooked)

Castlevania for Game Boy (original) was %^*&ing HARD. If you didn't know where the secret rooms were you were %^&$ed. I finally beat it once and threw it out. What a whore of a game.

florencevassy
Oct 18, 2005, 12:01 PM
I am really not into games at all but I do love Solitaire. Luckily they donít have it on the machines here at work.

I just find it relaxing and challenging, it isnít easy to explain why I like it. Maybe because when I was a child I used to play the game with real cards.

For some reason, I rarely match up all the cards on The game I have on my PowerBook. The version that comes with PCs (that I use when I am using my friendís computer) seems easier for some reason.

Apart from that, the only game I ever played was Ms. Pacman. I told you I am not into games! :)

Mechcozmo
Oct 18, 2005, 09:52 PM
Oolite

The first ever game I played was Elite on the BBC Micro. It was phenomenly hard and took about a week to load off the tape, but the freedom and sophistication of a 3D space trading game on a computer with only 64k ( :eek: ) of memory was stunning. Oolite is a pretty faithful OSX re-write of Elite and I am still wasting hours blowing up pirates and nicking their cargo almost 20 years later.

It is great fun to play with the save game file. I play two games-- one I mess with hacking, the other one I play normal. The hacked file is fun to see what I can get away with... and interesting to note that long times spent in Witchspace cause you to go slower than multiple short jumps. :confused:

ZoomZoomZoom
Oct 19, 2005, 12:05 AM
Hi .... Is there a reason why it is better than UT2004? I only played Halo2 on Xbox but was not impressed. I really like UT2004 on the Mac. Gives me 30 minutes of pleasure which is the amount of time that I have for playing games.

I should have said "out of the ones I've been able to play." I really want to try out UT2004, but I haven't even seen any of my friends play it. :confused:

TheGimp
Oct 20, 2005, 01:17 PM
I am really not into games at all but I do love Solitaire. Luckily they donít have it on the machines here at work.

I just find it relaxing and challenging, it isnít easy to explain why I like it. Maybe because when I was a child I used to play the game with real cards.

Then why are you browsing mac gaming forums and replying to threads of this sort? Anyway, you just need to find the right game for where your head happens to be at the moment you first play. If you *want* to be more "into" games in general, it might help to get stoned on the vice of your choice (preferably the traditional one) and then play the game in the right setting (i.e. a friend who's also into such a game is present). That should help lay the first brick in the foundation of a life-long gaming addiction, such as will give some things for feeding it....and taKe....O you will know...

harveypooka
Oct 20, 2005, 01:29 PM
It is great fun to play with the save game file. I play two games-- one I mess with hacking, the other one I play normal. The hacked file is fun to see what I can get away with... and interesting to note that long times spent in Witchspace cause you to go slower than multiple short jumps. :confused:
Elite was a fantastic game. Although I could never dock correctly and either ended up clipping my ship against the Corrolis space station or blowing up. I never did last that long...!

alien
Oct 20, 2005, 10:02 PM
Turrican 1+2 Just like Metroid only without the backtracking. absurdly large levels, multiple weapons, best soundtrack ever, huge bosses, german made... absolute classic of a 2D game. Turrican 3 didn't have the super large levels so thats why I don't include that :p And the console Turricans were just foul.
I'm so surprised at the soundtrack for Turrican. It was made back in the late 80's and the first Video Games Concert kicked off with an orchestral remake of a Turrican track. just search for The Great Bath on your P2P software, Chris Huelsbeck made a free orchestral version of that. Single greatest game song ever.
Tetris Addiction.
Pokemon I just really look forward to the games. Always provide at least 30-50 hours before beating the Elite 4, always a fantastic game to play through. brilliant harmless fun. especially with the possibilities on the DS (WiFi, touch screen, mic etc...)
F-Zero GX Single greatest racer ever IMO. Near impossible gameplay, fantastic soundtrack, so SO many unlockables. Its just addictive and the gameplay runs high without its weapons. A game I can really lose hours with.

There are more games that i like for their gameplay; any Metroid, Zelda or Mario, Mega Drive Sonic games, R-Type 3, Jet Force Gemini, any Kirby... pretty much anything by Nintendo!
games I like for their graphics and atmosphere; Doom 3, Half Life 2, Nanostray.
games I like for their soundtracks; Panzer Dragoon Orta, Turrican 3.

Ok, I'm late to the party but I have to agree... Ocarina of Time... golden... just golden. I didn't think I'd meet other people that felt the same why

bob909bob
Oct 20, 2005, 10:33 PM
I shouldn't be saying this on a mac forum but HALO!!!

Best FPS shooter ever.

Play Ultimate
Oct 20, 2005, 11:20 PM
Lemmings
Lode Runner
Both of this were action packed puzzle games. Lots of fun. Not too much work. Just intellectual enough to keep you engrossed.

Jaffa Cake
Oct 21, 2005, 02:57 AM
I shouldn't be saying this on a mac forum but HALO!!!
No reason why you shouldn't say that Ė it was out for the Mac, after all.

Whyren
Oct 21, 2005, 08:51 AM
No reason why you shouldn't say that Ė it was out for the Mac, after all.

And originally designed by a company that was very pro-Mac.

maxterpiece
Oct 21, 2005, 01:21 PM
civilization 4 is coming out in about 4 days. I have a feeling that will be my favorite game.

florencevassy
Oct 21, 2005, 04:18 PM
Oh, I forgot I love Tetris. I used to play it on my phone but I ended up breaking the keypad! I will see about downloading a game on my PB.

Dagless
Oct 21, 2005, 05:40 PM
Lemmings
Lode Runner
Both of this were action packed puzzle games. Lots of fun. Not too much work. Just intellectual enough to keep you engrossed.

Lemmings. yes. cant believe I forgot that! Ok like most games I played as a kid I did have cheats on (unlimited everything) which detracted somewhat. but hey, i was having fun back then.

I remember getting Lemmings 1 off a mate, on the old X-Copy program on the Amiga. Then when I was about 7-8ish I got Lemmings 2 from a car boot sale. God what was the cheat again? click all 4 corners clockwise twice then click something else... haha :) great memories.
Actually just before my DS arrived I was wondering on the possibilities of future games and a Lemmings game would just be too incredible. SO possible. so so possible. it cannot be played with a D-Pad or analogue stick. not the same as a mouse/touch pad.
Then out popped that horrendous Lemmings 3 that took the whole game in new directions.
see look! you got me all nostalgic. i always get chatty then! grrr...

Mechcozmo
Oct 21, 2005, 08:42 PM
I forgot...

Homeworld. Perfect story, beautiful pictures, amazing gameplay... damn near perfect. Plus, the space background makes the stuck pixels on my PC not so bad to look at. :D

Also, Homeworld was released open-source which meant that there is currently a group working on porting it to OS X. If they do, I'd gladly pay (so long as it worked, mind you). Linkety (http://www.machomeworld.com/)

OnceUGoMac
Oct 22, 2005, 01:18 AM
Final Fantasy VII: Great story, characters, mini-games. It's so long and worth it.

Sid Meier's Pirates!: Replayability, addictive, and informative.

King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, and Gold Rush: Sierra at it's finest.

Myst series: Changed gaming.

Tex Murphy series: Great stories, inventive, and interactive.

beige matchbox
Oct 22, 2005, 05:43 AM
Half-Life 1/2 - I've played the single player games several times on both, nice story and mix of shot everything that moves and puzzles. Add to that the free mods, of which there are loads, you get alot of gameplay for you money. TFC is what i normally end up reverting to after playing other games for a couple of months :D

World Of Warcraft - Theres an amazing amount of stuff to do and collect, it's kept me occupied for a month or so. However, most of the quests in each area are very similar, and the old rpg/mmo favorite is very common, kill 10 somethings and come back for a reward:rolleyes: But the PVP play and making stuff is so much fun its well worth the grind :D

Midtown Maddness 1/2/3 - 1 and 2 are still, to me anyway, the best arcade driving games on any platform, find a cops and robbers server and i'm set for the night. MM3 is also great, but because for multiplay you need xbox live multiplayer is not really an option:rolleyes:

Live For Speed - If you can find a good server without angry teenagers you get some awesome close racing, physics arn't too bad, bordering on realistic.

Hmm, nothing else is coming straight to mind, UT2003/4 maybe, theres a few others i play, but not on a regular basis :)

Palad1
Oct 22, 2005, 06:25 AM
Wow will wear-out after some time.

I have less and less time for gaming, the games that I still manage to play regularly are the games I consider the best.

Thus Alpha centauri / Alien XFire rules them all, with old school amiga games right behind :)

Damn, I wish I had time to play CTF again :/

erik firm
Oct 23, 2005, 11:34 PM
metal gear solid for PSX, need i say more?

Skareb
Oct 25, 2005, 04:21 AM
I'm a big fan of "No One Lives Forever" (NOLF) and to a lesser extent NOLF2. the gameplay is execellent, story is fantastic, great sound track. The Multiplayer comunity is very/exteremly small and you get to know almost everybody.

Cheers
Jordan

TheGimp
Oct 25, 2005, 11:59 AM
3 more games to add to my list from a few pages ago in the thread:

Metal Slug 2 (NeoGeo CD), running on the NeoCDPSP v0.5u4 emulator
Time has helped me appreciate this series more and more. Every Metal Slug game has this "signature artwork" style that is instantly recognizable across most platforms. Metal Slug 2 stands out in my mind as one of the very best M.Slug games due to the over-the-top onslaught of large bosses, lavish backgrounds, and situations varying from blasting mummies with a shotgun to riding a camel across the desert, and so on. Just oodles of indie-comicbook-like art and sound effects heaped upon the lucky connoisseur. Gameplay is also very good, if you don;t abuse the level-set/infinite replay feature. For those considering a PSP (purchase or downgrade), let me assure you that, with NeoCDPSP 0.5u4 set to 333MHZ this game runs at over 90% speed (as low as 75% during certain boss-fights later in the game but frameskip=1 fixes that) with ZERO FRAMESKIP, all sound effects and music, and near perfect control responsiveness.

Last Blade 2 (one of the best 2D fighting games ever, and the only one I can currently enjoy). The character animations and fight settings have that certain something that makes for a memorable experience, and gameplay mechanics are fluid and intricate, yet intuitive enough to get the hang of quickly. Also for NeoCDPSP.

Pulstar (R-type-like shooter) Exceptional graphics and sound coupled with a feel almost identical to R-types make for one of the most memorable R-Type wannabees (and there are many of them.

Any one of these 3 games can stand up to, or surpass, any PSP title in terms of presentation, gameplay, and depth (relative to the respective genres of each).

link92
Oct 25, 2005, 03:44 PM
BZflag: Free, fun game with a real sense of communion on many of the servers :D

dotdotdot
Oct 25, 2005, 05:01 PM
My favorite types of games are war first person shooters (Battlefield 1942 and SOCOM are a few examples) because they are fun and have a real plot, not made up.

Also, I like Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas, and Liberty City Stories because the plot is interesting and the game is so well designed (there are no such things as boundaries) where you can do anything you want, or choose a more structured game (the missions).

And I like some racing games.

But I don't like games like DOOM 3 and stuff like that.

dotdotdot
Oct 25, 2005, 05:02 PM
civilization 4 is coming out in about 4 days. I have a feeling that will be my favorite game.

I am looking forward to Civ4... I don't know how I'll buy it though... :(

Kernow
Oct 28, 2005, 07:22 AM
... and interesting to note that long times spent in Witchspace cause you to go slower than multiple short jumps. :confused:

I noticed this too. I used to frequent the Oolite bulletin board for a bit (:o), and I seem to remember that this was a direct result of the author trying to emulate relativistic physics as closely as possible, but the precise arguments went way over my head!

I think that the only practical effect of this was that it can reduce the cash you get when you deliver passengers to distant planets, but as piracy is my money making scheme of choice it didn't really affect me!

plasticparadox
Oct 28, 2005, 08:43 AM
...Liberty City Stories...

Have you played it yet? I'm still waiting for my import copy from the States to ship. Lik-Sang is ridiculously late sending out my copy, especially considering I pre-ordered back in August.

TheGimp
Oct 28, 2005, 11:07 AM
Have you played it yet? I'm still waiting for my import copy from the States to ship. Lik-Sang is ridiculously late sending out my copy, especially considering I pre-ordered back in August.

They must not actually have the game in stock yet. My Datel 4GB HD was shipped the same day they received their first stock, and arrived two days later from Hong Kong.

Thus I would definitely recommend them for hardware...

agreenster
Oct 28, 2005, 12:26 PM
Shrek SuperSlam for PS2/GC/Xbox

'cause I made it

Dagless
Oct 28, 2005, 05:41 PM
Shrek SuperSlam for PS2/GC/Xbox

'cause I made it

in that case I vote for Titan Omega ;)

agreenster
Oct 30, 2005, 03:20 PM
Except mine actually got published! ;)
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/04/78/75/80/0004787580985_500X500.jpg

VegetaPunk
Nov 1, 2005, 05:51 PM
MMO - World of Warcraft - I love the warcraft story and to be able to run around in the world from the books/rts games is pretty cool imo.

RTS - Star Craft - nuff said

FPS - heh Halo was great, had many fun nights playing multi player with my friends with the xbox came out.

RPG - The Fallout Series!! and Baulders Gate - Shadow of Amn - both great but I think I liked fallout more, I liked pretty much everything about that game, now if only they would start working on FO3 :cool:

also enjoy the elder scrolls games

iKnezek
Nov 2, 2005, 11:19 PM
Bejeweled
I can't even begin the think about the countless hours I've spent playing this game. So simple but SO addictive!:p

Myst, Riven, Myst III
I loved these games, great storyline and imaginative puzzles, completely new genre of games, and they all looked awesomely beautiful.:)

Starcraft
best RTS out there in my opinion, great balance of races and diversity. (also good easter eggs)

Escape Velocity Nova
Greatest single player RPG I have played. Great storylines, great replay value. Only complaint is there is no multiplayer. (I have a Pirate Valkrye, completly tricked out with six Raven escorts. :eek: planet ownage!:D )

Whyren
Nov 2, 2005, 11:24 PM
Escape Velocity Nova
Greatest single player RPG I have played. Great storylines, great replay value. Only complaint is there is no multiplayer. (I have a Pirate Valkrye, completly tricked out with six Raven escorts. :eek: planet ownage!:D )

Hmm...I wonder if they'd ever make an Escape Velocity MMORPG...

mduser63
Nov 3, 2005, 12:07 AM
Lemmings. yes. cant believe I forgot that! Ok like most games I played as a kid I did have cheats on (unlimited everything) which detracted somewhat. but hey, i was having fun back then.

I remember getting Lemmings 1 off a mate, on the old X-Copy program on the Amiga. Then when I was about 7-8ish I got Lemmings 2 from a car boot sale. God what was the cheat again? click all 4 corners clockwise twice then click something else... haha :) great memories.
Actually just before my DS arrived I was wondering on the possibilities of future games and a Lemmings game would just be too incredible. SO possible. so so possible. it cannot be played with a D-Pad or analogue stick. not the same as a mouse/touch pad.
Then out popped that horrendous Lemmings 3 that took the whole game in new directions.
see look! you got me all nostalgic. i always get chatty then! grrr...

Lemmings is going to be released for the PSP. See my website (http://www.lemmingsuniverse.net) for some screenshots.

To add my opinion to the thread, my favorite of all time has to be Lemmings (why else would I have created a website about it), but others that are high on the list:

Commander Keen - Spent hours and hours playing this when I was a kid. I had all 7 of the games in the series.
Gran Tourismo 3 - Don't think this needs explanation

MacAztec
Nov 3, 2005, 12:20 AM
Marathon- I used to play this on the network back in like 1996 in my house with my dad and friends. This was so much fun, I was seriously the best at this game, of anyone I have ever seen/played. Double sawed off shotgun + double health + invisibility = death.

Escape Velocity - Just a really fun game, especially if you become a Pirate. That is the way to go.

Best game of ALL TIME:

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - This is my FAVORITE game of all time. I have had it since 1994, when I was like 6 years old, and I just beat it for the FIRST TIME a few months ago. It is the most complex thinking action game I have ever played. The puzzles get really crazy, and the game is so much fun. I can play that game for ever. Any people that love this game know about the "Chris Houlihan" room? Let me know if you do, because I bet under 100 people in the world do.

Kernow
Nov 3, 2005, 02:28 AM
Any people that love this game know about the "Chris Houlihan" room? Let me know if you do, because I bet under 100 people in the world do.

I know that it exists, but I've never tried to find it. From memory the sequence is intentionally quite complicated to prevent people from finding it accidently. I believe that it was the result of a competition that Nintendo ran to get one fan's name into the game.

Do I win a prize?
:)

XNine
Nov 3, 2005, 09:49 AM
RPG- Lunar Silver Star Story Complete. It was aorund during the time of FFVII, and was by far a better game though the graphics weren't in the same arena.

Action- The Metal Gear Series. No other game allows me to break russians' necks, blow up huge mechs with a rocket launcher, and give me some kind of sexual innuendo that would offend most women. IT's great. Lots of ideas and secret little things work their way into the game. Like the "knocking" on women's posters in the 2nd one. The 3rd one was a great step above the 2nd, thank God. I can't wait for the fourth on PS 3

FPS-Halo 2. Not the single player game really, but multi-player on live. I hate those ****ing modders, but when you actually get a good game going, it's great.

Sports - Um.... BLADES OF STEAL FOR NES! And DOA XBV (fan service)

Fighting - The Street Fighter and DOA series. BEcause they're both great, and soul calibur is teh suck!!!!111!!!!0000!!!!11!!

Music - Dance Freaks. IT was a game in the arcade like DDR, except you use your hands. I got 2nd in a tourney against 30 other people on that one a couple years ago.

agreenster
Nov 4, 2005, 11:51 AM
Any people that love this game know about the "Chris Houlihan" room? Let me know if you do, because I bet under 100 people in the world do.

Anyone who is a Zelda fan knows about this room. Its on every zelda secret website there is. I forget exactly how to do it (start in the sanctuary, run super fast without hitting an enemy to the castle dungeon entrance, and if you get there in time theres a room full of rupees?) but Ive been there.

'Tis a fun game though

efoto
Nov 4, 2005, 12:30 PM
Starcraft - best RTS to date, eagerly awaiting SC2 as soon as Blizzard gets their act together :p

HL/HL2 - best FPS in my opinion, awesome physics in each for their given time, good story and great overall gameplay experience.

Raven Shield - FPS to a different degree. You don't drop a full clip to kill someone. I love the realism and real-world physics here too, although bullet bounce (ricochet) would be a cool addition :rolleyes:

Myst Series - Excellent discovery/puzzle games, loved them all for depth and continued storyline

zathras
Nov 7, 2005, 11:51 PM
Classic Game: Mr. Do! - a little pacman, a little dig dug, you are a clown with a beach ball.

Adventure: Sam and Max hit the Road - Funniest game ever and a sure fire candidate for my favorite game ever.

FPS: Rainbow Six 3 for Xbox - I've never had more fun playing a game online then teaming up with three of my buddies to take on the levels. Runner up: Halo - beautiful great game

RPG: Kingdom Hearts - I'm a Disney Freak and like the FF series so this was right up my alley

Sports: Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 - I couldn't count the hundreds of hours I've spent just skating and listening to music.

Puzzle: Lumines - I never thought anything would beat Tetris but Lumines does it.

jrv3034
Nov 8, 2005, 11:37 AM
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a big gamer, at all.
UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004 DEMO- I'm completely addicted to this game. I play Onslaught mode online against people from all over, and it simply doesn't get old! Even though in the Demo you only get the one map, it still rocks. And it runs perfectly on my Power Mac. The perfect blend of action and strategy, without having to think about plot or story. Just show up, and blow up some power nodes.

Plus, the Demo is 100% free, and legal!!!!:D

Dagless
Nov 8, 2005, 12:08 PM
I'd like to add Half Life 2, if i haven't already. Its the first time I've really played an online multiplayer and really liked it. Halo 2 was alright but after the novelty of playing online wore off I got bored and deleted it from my Xbox HDD.
But HL2. I just love the online there. I'm not that good usually only ranking in the middle somewhere but the multiplayer is fast, frantic, kills your wrist and I just find it great fun. There's this server I always join that has my fave level (Bella's Room) in a team deathmatch on 24/7. if you go there too my name is "Jimmah!".

sorry mduser63 but Lemmings without a mouse or similar is not worth it to me. I've tried Lemmings on most systems but nothing could ever beat the Amiga with its mouse. Though recently I found a demo for it on Pocket PC and the touchscreen cannot be improved upon for Lemmings. I say :)

Golden_315
Nov 8, 2005, 02:46 PM
I'm very surpised this hasn't been mentioned yet...however my all time favorite game is:

Beyond Good & Evil

This is one incredible game. Unfortunatley it came out dring a slew of higher profile games and got swept to the side. Yes despite this fact it is an amazing game. It has a gripping storyline, wonderous eviroment, great charaters that you actually personalize with, and great gameplay. But enought baseless praise. I dare you to play this game and not love it. From the get go it had me hooked. You must all try this game, please! Let the developers know that it was a great game and more like it should be made.

Spectrum
Nov 8, 2005, 03:20 PM
Currently...

R-type II... because I just can't get past that level 3 boss.

X-multiply... for similar reasons - and because it is even more beautiful.

Dagless
Nov 8, 2005, 05:02 PM
R-type II... because I just can't get past that level 3 boss...

I did that ONCE when I was 13, i got onto the next level and everything but my mum said it was time for bed :( completing R-Type 2 is a life-long goal of mine. without cheats too!

DonBot
Nov 8, 2005, 08:18 PM
Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer: I spent 6 months having a great time gaming on a persistent world called The Silver Marches. Great role-playing and great people, sadly the owner passed it on to other people who tore the mod up. Now its empty all the time.:(

Tribes: No other game was really like it. Everybody could do something different, defense, offense, repairing, sniping, capping. Sadly most of the players have moved on due bad support from VU Games.

MVP Baseball 2005: Easily the most realistic baseball game available, it does have its quirks but I've played over 500 games since May.:eek: A shame to see it go as Take Two snatched the MLBPA license, but EA had it coming when they locked up the NFL.

I'm sure I could think of tons more, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Battlefield 1942, but the three above are classics in my mind.

Spectrum
Nov 8, 2005, 10:23 PM
HOW? I get wiped out every time, and it sends you way back to fight your way past the ships. I get 5-10seconds max at the big guy before I buy it - not enough time to figure out where to go/what to do.

I did that ONCE when I was 13, i got onto the next level and everything but my mum said it was time for bed :( completing R-Type 2 is a life-long goal of mine. without cheats too!

JeffTL
Nov 9, 2005, 12:12 AM
I'll have to go with the Baldur's Gate series, particularly the second one.

Why? These games just suck me in. Further, with the different character design and NPC party member options, there is a lot of replayability.

Palad1
Nov 9, 2005, 06:11 AM
Is there a good Tribes clone playable on a maxed-out 15'' PB Rev.C ?

I'm currently completing the Golden Box series... Curse of the azur bonds (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Curse+of+the+Azure+Bonds) is really rewarding, unlinke baldur's gate & co. the combats are turn based, not realtime, which requires some real thinking (if your party is not über-powerful of course) And That's The Way It Oughta Be™

Dagless
Nov 9, 2005, 07:16 AM
HOW? I get wiped out every time, and it sends you way back to fight your way past the ships. I get 5-10seconds max at the big guy before I buy it - not enough time to figure out where to go/what to do.

Well i used to have this poster wall chart of R-Type 2 (on the flip side it had a walk through for some platformer starring an ape, Doki something). Anywho! It tells you what to do and where. Even knowing what was going to happen I could still only beat Level 3 once. to this day with the chart long gone I still cant do it :(.
IIRC I just go inside the guy and shoot, I came out the other end and threw my shield thingy behind to attack. but that was 6 years ago now! I'm lucky if I can get past the boss on Level 2 these days. now R-Type 3. theres an easy game.

oo. an online co-op R-Type would be killer :eek: 2D though. So most likely on the DS or PSP.

Dagless
Nov 9, 2005, 07:21 AM
Is there a good Tribes clone playable on a maxed-out 15'' PB Rev.C ?

I'm currently completing the Golden Box series... Curse of the azur bonds (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Curse+of+the+Azure+Bonds) is really rewarding, unlinke baldur's gate & co. the combats are turn based, not realtime, which requires some real thinking (if your party is not Łber-powerful of course) And That's The Way It Oughta Beô
OH WOW! I just typed the name of my most popular game in HotU and there it was!
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=5045 thats made my day that has :)

ObsidianIce
Nov 9, 2005, 10:16 AM
Favorite Games hmmmm...

fighting Anything from the Soul Calibur series
Action? Armored core Series
RPG Final Fantasy series
Racing Gran turismo Series

forgot an old favorite....Bubble Bobble!

DavidLeblond
Nov 9, 2005, 10:57 AM
Nethack.

You mean to tell you other games exist??

Spectrum
Nov 9, 2005, 02:39 PM
Hey, I played it exhaustivley last night after beating my way (FINALLY) past level 3 boss! I survived for long enough to realise that you have to kill off the smaller spaceships - at least that is how I finally got him - maybe I just had a lucky escape! Anyway, I didn't realise that you can fly right through it! I send the probe in but not me _ I'll try it later if I'm up for more hammering.

I am seriously loving my new PB15+MAME. It allows me to relive those lost days of my youth in the local arcade. And the emualation is far better than I could have dreamed of :) And if any Feds are listening - I'm more than happy to pay for a license to these games, if there was a system to sell me one.

Anyway, back to R-Type: somehow got past level 4 pretty quickly - lots of moving platforms, and a very fast pursuit of the boss, but somehow got him first time

Then on five, it has these dragon heads that leave trails similar to those on R-Type I level 4, but much larger. A very hard level, but the boss was easier - again rotating things in the way, but got him.

Level 6? Very ****** hard. These snake/dragon things, and loads of crab things that home in on you very fast. I guess i got about half way in, past the first restart point, but it is solid. Hardest level by far, so far.

Not sure I'll get there in a hurry again either :(

Currently stuck on level 4 of R-Type I too, although I completed the entire game (almost) on my Spectrum back in the day - only to get two level sevens (which i completed), and no level eight, nor official "you have completed this game" page - talk about an anti-climax, the ship just floated about in space until I turned off the power. :confused:

peace to you shoot'em'up fans ;)

Well i used to have this poster wall chart of R-Type 2 (on the flip side it had a walk through for some platformer starring an ape, Doki something). Anywho! It tells you what to do and where. Even knowing what was going to happen I could still only beat Level 3 once. to this day with the chart long gone I still cant do it :(.
IIRC I just go inside the guy and shoot, I came out the other end and threw my shield thingy behind to attack. but that was 6 years ago now! I'm lucky if I can get past the boss on Level 2 these days. now R-Type 3. theres an easy game.

oo. an online co-op R-Type would be killer :eek: 2D though. So most likely on the DS or PSP.

corky
Aug 26, 2006, 02:46 PM
my fav games are
animal crossing
because it is like having another life and is full of different tasks that you can do whenever you want and has lots of things to collect.
nintendogs
as i cannot have pets cus my dad is allergic this gives me the experience of having a pet dog
tetris
i just like it it cool
sims
it is another life but animated

seenew
Aug 26, 2006, 03:09 PM
I have too many to list, but one of my favorites I've recently got the chance to enjoy again was

MDK
For OS 8/9
:D

I love it because it's just really easy to get into. Not too complicated, but not shallow either. The controls are easy, and there's lots of powerups, but they're not overwhelming. The sense of humor is strange, but funny, too. I just love to play through the game several times every once in a while.

I'd like to check out MDK2, but I don't have a system that will play it (PC/PS2). Plus, it was developed by someone besides Shiny, so I don't know if it would be as good..

andy89
Aug 26, 2006, 03:11 PM
Ridge Racer (ps1), because im weird
..and anything half life, that game has a good story line and make you feel "involved":rolleyes:

Jasonbot
Aug 26, 2006, 03:18 PM
Um, the only game I ever played on a mac is Medal of Honour Allied Assult! On a PowerMac G4 sawtooth!!!! It's below minimum spec! But It's soooo much fun, its a challenge to shoot, kill and lag all at the same time!

seenew
Aug 26, 2006, 03:21 PM
Ridge Racer (ps1), because im weird
..and anything half life, that game has a good story line and make you feel "involved":rolleyes:

Don't you mean Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raceeeerrrrrr?:p

I forgot to mention

-Rush 2
-Rush 2049

LukeW
Aug 26, 2006, 04:32 PM
NiGHTS into Dreams on the Saturn. Classic game which controlled beautifully, was original and instantly playable, looked amazing for the time and had such a fantastic concept that was amazingly carried out. Shame Sonic Team went down hill rapidly after Sonic Adventure. Shadow the Hedgehog? Pfft!

Sam and Max I love all the old Lucas Arts adventure games and this was my favourite. Everything from the story to the graphics and voice acting was perfect, and even after all these years I still play it on my Scumm emulator on my Mac, along with the rest of the old classic games. Another company that has gone down hill fast.

Metal Gear Solid or to be more accurate Twin Snakes on the Gamecube, which was the first time I played it, and immediately went out and bought 2 and 3 for the Playstation 2. I loved the story.

ICO Because like NiGHTS it actually made you feel you where in the game as apposed to just being behind a screen. Controlled beautifully (unlike Shadow of Colossus which I loved but felt a little stiff and frustrating in my book) and still looks stunning.

Mario Kart DS I love all the Mario Kart games, but to me this one is the perfect one, certainy the best since the original. The N64 game I felt to be a little flat and un-mario-y, while Double Dash had great levels (specially the Donkey Kong mountain level, that was awesome) and graphics, but I didnt like the controls as they felt a little loose, and wasn't big on the two people per kart system either. Mario Kart DS has some great levels, nice controls and a better AI system than DD (homing blue shell up my arse just as I reached the finish line *BOOOM* fifth place, EVERY SINGLE TIME) and generally felt Mario enough without being over the top. The only thing I wanted was more characters (they cut loads from DD) and more levels as now I know them all off by heart I want more!!

Sonic Adventure At the time I loved this game and played it every day. Now it looks and plays crap but still has fond memories in my mind because it really did revolutionise Sonic, though sadly every game staring him since has sucked.

Samba de Amigo Dancing Monkey's, nuff said. Sonic Teams last good game.

Mario 64 and Goldeneye My first proper 3D console (Saturn doesnt really count in my mind as it really didnt do good 3D) was the N64 and these are the two games that really made my jaw drop and changed my whole way of thinking about video games. Cliched I know but it is true.

LukeW
Aug 26, 2006, 04:36 PM
Oh, crap, forgot one! :rolleyes:

Shining Force 3 on the Saturn. Possibly my most favourite of RPG's. I loved the game and the story. Loved the characters. Loved the battles. You have know idea how much I hated SEGA after they decided not to release the other 2 parts. God, I hated them so much. I will personally buy the console that gets a port of all 3 Shining Force 3 games on it, even if it is the PS3.

Might wait until the price comes down first though...

Dagless
Aug 26, 2006, 05:09 PM
since it's been a while and a number of games have been and gone since...

Trauma Centre While I don't think this will stand the test of time, it's a real blast to play through. Very similar to Viewtiful Joe in that respect, another game I enjoy.

Castlevania Aria and Dawn of Sorrow are bang on the greatest 2D platform games I have every played. A map that isn't stupidly big, absolutely perfect gameplay. But best of all - the soundtrack. Never before have I heard something this good. The whole history/mythology side to the game makes it that little more interesting too, I've found myself Googling weapon and enemy names to read more about them. I can't really put into words why I like this so much, everything is just perfect. even down to the typically Japanese final secret levels. And with the next Castlevania game being... urgh... back to the old whip method and using switchable characters, I'm not holding my breath.

Have I said Metroid Prime series yet? Atmosphere on a DVD. One of the few games to actually pull me into this infected world(s).

seenew
Aug 26, 2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah, Metroid Prime 1 & 2 were great. I don't care for the DS incarnations, though.

FleurDuMal
Aug 26, 2006, 05:20 PM
Well, having only ever owned two consoles - a Sega Master System and an Xbox (twice) - and rarely ever having owned a PC powerful enough to play games for very long, my experience of gaming is mostly through other peoples systems.

Sim City 2000 - I was never really that impressed with the original Sim City. Even back then I could see that it was too limited to be a really engaging game. But when I got Sim City 2000 (finally, after many years nagging my parents to buy it for me), my jaw just dropped. It was the most indepth and engaging game I had ever played. The possibilities felt endless. The subsequent Sim City games haven't really been revolutionary enough to provide that same *wow* factor.

Civilisation III - For the same reasons as Sim City 2000, I guess. Truely engaging. As a major geek of modern history and politics, the opportunity to re-write history and create my own social systems was like a geeky wet dream for me. I always found a kind of perverse pleasure in making the Indians colonise Britain, or recreating a 'scramble for Europe' instead of a 'scramble for Africa'. However, I'm not much of military man myself, so I was always pretty hopeless at the empire side of things. I was much more about diplomacy and culture - "soft power" :D . Can't wait to play Civ IV (although it looks like I'll have to wait until I take the plunge with a Mac Pro.

Championship Manager/Football Manager series - Although it is essentially a huge Excel spreadsheet with a series of alogrithims ( :p ), it is the best management simulation of the best sport in the world. A prime example of style over substance. You don't need milions of polygons to immerse yourself in a world. The best thing about this game is the match engine. It follows enough of a pattern that you can do well, but it's dense and complex enough to ensure it can never be be cracked. If you go over the Football Manager forum, you'll see posts that read like maths thesis or philosophy dissertations - its a very intelligent game. Not like Total Soccer Manager where all you have to do is buy the best players and play the right tactic.

Mario Kart - One of two phenomenal Snes games. Far too much fun in multiplayer mode. I used to go to my friends house every morning before school just so I could play this, I loved it that much. And 12 years later, I love it just as much.

Super Mario World - Imaginitive levels, good charchters - it actually felt like a world. Proof that designing a good game is much similar to writing a good fantasy book. It has to be bright, interest, vibrant and stimulating - this game certainly was so. Multiplayer was a bit crap though.

Alex The Kid - Can't remember which one, but it was built into my Master System (why don't they do that anymore?!). Probably not that good a game as I've never really revisited it, but it was the first game I ever really played properly. I was so happy when I completed it that I think I took a photo of the TV screen and showed it to everyone in the playground the next day :o

Pokemon - Took over my life for about a year, despite never owning a Gameboy (I played it on a PC emulator). I loved the TV show as much as the game. However, not ever having a Gameboy meant I lost out on the multiplayer battle mode, but I could live with that. Another example of a brilliant fantasy world imagined up and executed with precision. Although aimed at children, there's no reason why adults can't engage in a bit of (clean) fantasy at some point.

Palad1
Aug 26, 2006, 05:38 PM
Betrayal at krondor Because I was a pc user when I was a teenager and this game is one of the 'less sucking' computer RPG ever made.

Jaffa Cake
Aug 26, 2006, 05:39 PM
Championship Manager/Football Manager seriesSir, I salute you. :)

Archmagination
Aug 26, 2006, 07:21 PM
Shooters Resident Evil 4.. Its been a long time since I last got so addicted to a game that I would play for hours on end and not realize that I had done so. Runner UP: Star Wars Battlefront.. awsome.. just because its a dream come true.

Sports NCAA Football from 2004-2007.. Dynasty mode is soo deep and addictive. Runner Up: NBA Street Vol 2: I love basketball games.. unfortunatly the College and NBA games out there just didn't sensitive enough controls to make them fun.

Strategy Tie between Master's of Orion and Pax Imperia.. both were incredible fun games and just soo deep(Exspecially Pax.. still puts most games to shame with its depth) I would spend hours on both of them though with Pax Imperia I would play against/with a friend and our game would take days to complete.. longest time I spent playing in one sitting with my friend is 18 hours or so. Thats 18 hours straight of not eating, sleeping or even going to the bathroom!!

RPG I am a crazy RPG fanatic.. but here goes: Tie between Final Fantasy 3(also called 6 in Japan) and Lunar Silver Star Story Complete.. FF3 has the most evil villian in RPG history.. that laugh just puts him over the top. Its replay value is through the roof.. everything about this game is top notch. Lunar Silver Star Story Complete is the only RPG to ever make me cry.. its that good. It had the most incredible FMV's before people even knew what FMV's were.. I believe its the 1st RPG to ever have voice acting(except maybe Tales of Phantasia) and its soundtracks are just beautiful..

Leareth
Aug 26, 2006, 08:09 PM
Postal 2

what other game do you get to go around shooting people, elephants and cats with anthrax cow heads, rocket launchers, flame throwers...

I really like using the gasoline tank on people then tossing a match at them...

If you have no idea what I am talking about then you have not played the game.

Virtually no plot to speak off but great stress release and time waster...

coffey7
Aug 26, 2006, 09:13 PM
Silent Hill, Resident evil. I love the survival horror games. I also love Halo and 1st person rpgs like Deus Ex the invisible war and Oblivion.

zap2
Aug 26, 2006, 09:18 PM
Halo 2- Its online is great

BattleFront 2- Its the first star wars game like this, were you play as a trooper/Clone/Droid/Rebel.. not as a main hero(you can but its not the point of the game) and its very cool to "live" the battles from the coolest Sci-Fi moive ever (IMO)

SSBM-Its the best game on GameCube, just yesterday i play 99 lives, with 3 of my friends.

Advance Wars: DS- I love this game, my favorite DS game ever.. it think it comes from my love for risk and this is like risk time 10.

Aarow
Aug 26, 2006, 11:41 PM
Oregon Trail

Because I get to ford the river with my oxen

Is there a way to get it running on OS X? or a newer version?

dllavaneras
Aug 27, 2006, 12:24 AM
God of War- Same as resident evil 4. Story, graphics, and gameplay=unbelievable.

I totally agree! The storyline is awesome, graphics are superb and the fact that you can basically tear any one of your enemies apart in sooooo many ways is a pretty good outlet if you want to vent some anger... And just when you though it was over, it isn't :D
I've finished this one about 8 times already and I'd do it again in a second...

Once I finish my other favorite, Shadow Of The Colossus. Those things are HUGE!! This one is sure to have you glued to your PS2. An epic tale... I've yet to finish it, but it's kept me away from God Of War for a while, and that's a LOT to say!

sikkinixx
Aug 27, 2006, 12:41 AM
Fallout 2 - Just because it never gets old to blow people away with Bloody Mess enabled

Max Payne 2 - Even though you can beat it in an afternoon, it is so much fun to waste hundreds of baddies in sllloooowwwwww-mooooo (plus the matrix mods are sweet)

Theme Park (Genesis version) - I dunno why, i must have rented it a dozen times back in the day, my friends and i loved to see who could make the best, most valuble park.

Streets of Rage 3 - Do I need to explain this one? its sooo sweet! Roo rocks

NHL 94 - Best.hockey.game.ever. (the only thing better was in '93 when you could fight and make wayne gretzy bleed...)

ddrueckhammer
Aug 27, 2006, 01:35 AM
Shining Force 1 & 2 (GENESIS) - These are the best Strategy RPGs of all time. Originally available on the Genesis, get Shining Force 1 for GBA if you have one.

Super Mario 3 (NES) - What can I say? This was my favorite Mario game and IMO the best platformer ever.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - My favorite top down view Zelda. I have been playing Minish Cap (anyone who has a DS or GBA must get this game) lately and it is very good but even with older graphics ALttP is a masterpiece.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - I really like Wind Waker and I don't mind Majora's Mask but the first 3D Zelda is still my favorite and could very well be the best game of all time.

Final Fantasy VII (PSX)- Yeah I fell for it. I know all the complaints about it. The gameplay, graphics, futuristic setting bla bla bla...The epic story on this classic make it one of the best Final Fantasy games and in the running for best game ever too.

Everquest (PC)- This one ate up my life. Before WoW came out there was Evercrack and it almost made me flunk out of school. Really great for its time but going back to it after WoW would be hard.

World of Warcraft (PC) - The current best MMORPG IMO. I would love to play it but it is so addictive I wont do anything else.

Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor (PC) - I had to throw in a few PC games and I loved the old Myst style adventure games. These games were comepletly different in setting and style but fun in their own right.

Monkey Island 3 (PC) - I'll admit it, ever since the original Dragon Lace arcade game I have a secret love for cell shading and I think it was a perfect fit for the MI series and Guybrush Threapwood. Halarious!

007 Goldeneye (N64) - This one introduced me to the great fun of mutiplayer FPS action. I know that there are better games out there and one of the more modern ones like UT 2004 or Halo are better to play now, but I still have fond memories of playing this game in highschool with 4 of my best friends.

Planescape Torment (PC) - I had to add an eleventh entry. This game is spectacular. It controls kind of like Baldur's gate but the story and spells are just fantastic. Pick up a used copy and enjoy it today!

Honorable Mentions: ChronoTrigger (SNES), River City Ransom (NES), Rad Racer (NES), Grand Theft Auto (PC), Metal Gear Solid (PSX), Final Fantasy VI, IX, and Tactics (NES & PSX), StarCraft (PC), Flashback (Genesis), UT2K4 (PC), SW: KOTOR (PC), Trauma Center (DS), Mario Kart (DS), LOZ: Minish Cap (GBA), Golden Sun 1 & 2 (SNES?), Super Street Fighter II (SNES?), Kings Quest Series (PC), Tomb Raider (PC), Call of Duty (PC), Fight Night Round 3 (Xbox 360), Oblivion (Xbox 360), Shining Force III (Saturn)...This game didn't make the top just because it is incomplete (it had the potential to be the best ever)

I couldn't find any games on modern consoles that I think are better than the ones on this list.
Also, I wanted to put an Atari game up there but it seems that most of those didn't have enough depth or story for me to consider them as one of my favorite games of all time. Looking at all of this, I really think that I will like the Wii the best of this generation as graphics aren't really important for me to really love a game and also, the virtual console is attractive because I can replay some of my favorites (although Shining Force 1, Zelda ALttP, and Mario 3 are available for GBA so I have already been replaying them...)

Garand
Aug 27, 2006, 09:08 PM
World War II online - been playing pretty much every day since November 2002 when it came out for the Macintosh. The gameplay can not be surpassed for a Massive Multiplayer Game.

harveypooka
Aug 28, 2006, 05:32 AM
Fallout - why? because you can "cut people in half like a blood sausage" (written on the box!). It's the best post apocalyptic RPG ever made. It has mutants, multiple story lines, play styles, it's fun and it's serious. I love it! And there is an OK sequel and a few crap Playstation titles too. And *maybe* a third one being made by Bethesda.

JasonReid
Aug 29, 2006, 06:50 PM
for a system, SMB 3 for NES
for computer, Starcraft, they are just simply the best

Dagless
Aug 29, 2006, 08:12 PM
for a system, SMB 3 for NES
for computer, Starcraft, they are just simply the best

I was playing Mario Bros 3 (GBA remake) before sleep last night. and I swear, in my tired state and the playable boot in Mario 3 I felt like a god.

ddrueckhammer
Aug 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
I was playing Mario Bros 3 (GBA remake) before sleep last night. and I swear, in my tired state and the playable boot in Mario 3 I felt like a god.

Yeah, no kidding...I love all of the Mario remakes for GBA. The only ones on GBA I like better are the Zelda games...I just beat Minish Cap today and I plan on starting AlttP next...