Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonobobakunin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Chicago
My iPad has been showing "no service" or "searching..." in places where I used to get a passable LTE signal from AT&T. But my iPhone 5 is able to find a signal in the same places. I don't understand why. Could it be a hardware or software issue? I know AT&T is bad and that it is particularly bad in Chicago, but I stay with them for personal reasons. So please don't tell me to solve the problem by switching to Verizon. Thanks in advance.

Bonobobakunin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Chicago
Thanks for the suggestion. It's beyond my level of knowledge to know what "provisioned" means in regard to a sim, but I will call ATT and ask the question.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Did you try turning off "Cellular" and "Enable LTE" in general settings and then turning them back on to see if they then get reception?

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
My iPad has been showing "no service" or "searching..." in places where I used to get a passable LTE signal from AT&T. But my iPhone 5 is able to find a signal in the same places. I don't understand why. Could it be a hardware or software issue? I know AT&T is bad and that it is particularly bad in Chicago, but I stay with them for personal reasons. So please don't tell me to solve the problem by switching to Verizon. Thanks in advance.

It isn't just ATT; I'm pretty tired of seeing 2-3 bars LTE on my Verizon phone and Samsung Tab with NoService on my iPad. :mad:

Bonobobakunin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Chicago
Update from thread starter

Apple genius said there is no hardware issue. Restored iPad and changed SIM. No change in signal strength or "Searching..." and "No Signal" messages. Sometimes toggling the cellular data switch makes a difference but not enough to cure the problem. I cancelled the data plan; $30/month for nothing at this point. If I need to connect outside of Wifi I will get tethering for my iPhone (5) which holds whatever signal there is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.