Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grumpy Cat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Hi,

I recently bought a used 2012 MacBook Air thats, according to coconut battery 27 weeks old. It had about 15 cycles and keyboard wise it also looks pretty new (no grease spots). My wife got a new one a few weeks ago, that was built 18 weeks ago, and i was so impressed I decided to get one myself. I was really obsessed with the great keyboard (I somehow prefer less keytravel).

So now that i got mine I noticed something after a bit of playing around. The keyboard has noticeably more keytravel and simply by looking at it I can tell the keys are a lot more standing out from the chassis (for instance, the backlight surrounding the keys is a lot more visible due to the greater gap between key and chassis). On the contrary the keys of my wifes Air are sunken deeper into the chassis and have a much tighter fit, the backlight around the keys almost vanishes. The typing experience is a whole lot different. The typing sound is different. I basically feel like it just can't be the same.

While I somehow understand there will always be a bit of a difference between each individual keyboard, I'm wondering if I am the only one noticing that kind of thing ? Some might say don't buy used if you want an unused keyboard (I know the tactile feel may change over time with usage), but I refuse to believe that's the case here. Basically the whole keyboard feels different, not just the keys most used for typing. EVERY key of mine is a lot more "loose" in comparison to that tight fit.

I'd be glad about some opinions, as I'm thinking of getting a new Air just for the sake of having that awesome feeling keyboard my wife has. My initial thought was maybe Apple decided to sink the keys a bit more into the chassis after building and delivering the first batch of Airs ? Or maybe the previous owner had the keyboard replaced sometime ? No idea tbh.

Thnx for reading and greetings,

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.