Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I guess I should've posted this question before I did it, but here goes anyway:

I have a PM G5 with 150GB internal drive, and a lacie 150GB external. I recently bought a 320GB lacie external, and decided to raid the two smaller drives into a striped set. This has the advantages of being able to store all my music and movies in my Home folder, which I was unable to do previously - and is useful for sharing over the mainly Windows network in my student house.

The only disadvantage I have noticed is that, as the RAIDed set is my boot disk, the external drive never spins down. The noise is a slight issue as I sleep in the same room as my PM. Also, is it a potential hazard for the disk itself? Could it blow up?!

And then to top it off Adam Curry mentioned firewire in one of his podcasts and how firewire hard disks can only read or write but not both at the same time?

Oh, and I'm running everything on firewire 800 if it helps...?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hmmm... Any hard drive can only read or write at the same time, as they have only one set of heads.

Whether the external drive will have ill effects from being on all the time, depends on the quality of the case and the power supply. In general, external drives last a shorter length of time than internals because of heat issues and power supplies that are (necessarily) less quality than the full size supply in the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.