Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
When Apple releases Intel based powermacs. will this mean we will finally be able to easily upgrade the processors as intel releases them. just like Wintel users.

wonder if the processor will be soldered onto the board or be in easy upgradable socket form.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
We don't even know if they will be off-the-shelf Intel chips. They may be altered in some way. And it depends on whether the motherboards will support different chips.

I don't see why they would be soldered on, at least in the Power Macs. Apple doesn't really care what you do with your Mac, as long as you've paid them your $3,000 for the privilege of the top of the line. iBooks, PowerBooks, iMacs, Mac Minis, yeah, they'll probably continue to be soldered on just like the PowerPCs are.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Why does everyone think that it is so hard to upgrade your Mac's processor now?

The G4 and G5 PowerMacs have their CPUs on daughtercards.
The PowerBook G3s had daughtercard CPUs.

But keep in mind that with a custom motherboard, the CPU may have some custom features too-- such as being mounted on a daughtercard instead of socket-mounted.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
alex_ant said:
We don't even know if they will be off-the-shelf Intel chips. ....
Actually, we do know. The whole point of the switch is immediate availability of needed processors. Apple and Intel have been extremely clear that Apple will select processors from Intel's catalog. Intel is not looking to get into the boutique processor business. This is a difficult concept for certain individuals to get their brains around, but it is really just that simple.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Virtually all PowerPC Macs can have the CPU upgraded. It's just that some machines are more difficult than others and there are some machines where it can't be done at all but most machines can. Albeit there are no Processor upgrade options for the G5 that does not necessarily mean there will never be. People claimed that the PowerBook G3 could not have a CPU upgrade same with the imac G3 machines but upgrade options exist, heck even the imac G4 can get a CPU upgrade though one must question the logic given the price.

http://daystartechnology.com/Apple_...h_Products/Mac_CPU_G4_Upgrade_iMac_FP_PS.html

tom_s

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
On most desktop Macs the processor is upgradeable - even if the whole mainboard has to be changed (like with the iMac G4). The problem is that Apple (or the upgrade companies) don't sell enough to be cheap. Apples strange mainboard shapes don't make things easier.

On the PC side you can get a new Processor and a new mainboard for ~200 $.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I think Apple will be getting the chips in a non-standard package ... or a surface mount/BGA package that fits in with Apple's low-profile designs.

Don't think the "special/custom CPUs" Apple was rumored to be getting at one point, will be anything more than a different/modified package design, or Apple's own daughtercard designs.

On the plus side, even if Apple does use their own daughtercard with a non-standard socket -- it'll be a lot easier for people to come up with upgrades for x86s than for the G5 (which made Rube Goldberg devices look simple.)

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
I think the reason why I haven't updated my processor is because the last upgradeable mac I had was a PowerMac 6500...a lovely machine. It's been iMac's ever since!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
It would be kinda neet if a hybrid tower configuration were possible
with 1 dual core PPC on one card and another Intel dual core of the other.
Running, OS X, Windows, Linux or Solaris

You'd have the anything goes PowerMac with both cards using PCI-e for video
or even SLI .

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
FFTT said:
It would be kinda neet if a hybrid tower configuration were possible
with 1 dual core PPC on one card and another Intel dual core of the other.
Running, OS X, Windows, Linux or Solaris

You'd have the anything goes PowerMac with both cards using PCI-e for video
or even SLI .

Sort of like the Apple // and the 486 cards for the LC-series computers?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Little Endian said:
Virtually all PowerPC Macs can have the CPU upgraded. It's just that some machines are more difficult than others and there are some machines where it can't be done at all but most machines can. Albeit there are no Processor upgrade options for the G5 that does not necessarily mean there will never be. People claimed that the PowerBook G3 could not have a CPU upgrade same with the imac G3 machines but upgrade options exist, heck even the imac G4 can get a CPU upgrade though one must question the logic given the price.

http://daystartechnology.com/Apple_...h_Products/Mac_CPU_G4_Upgrade_iMac_FP_PS.html

Style. I love the G4 iMacs. Even more so then I love the G5 iMacs.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
combatcolin said:
I do think that Intel upgrades will be cheaper then the current prices, but not by a huge amount.
That would be good but I would love to see Apple make the video cards on the iMac upgradable. Although if they continue with upgrades for it like they have I may not have to hope for that anymore.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Josh396 said:
That would be good but I would love to see Apple make the video cards on the iMac upgradable. Although if they continue with upgrades for it like they have I may not have to hope for that anymore.
That would increase the size and the cost of the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.