Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Hi.

I've tried a couple of different brand name DVD burners for my iBook, and powered both first via USB and then with an external power supply. Neither worked despite the manufacturer stating that they're PowerPC and Leopard compatible. They showed up in system profiler, but otherwise didn't function.

I'm wondering whether or not I need to disable or otherwise modify the (functioning) optical drive that came with the iBook in order for a USB burner to work?

Thanks.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Hello I have been using external burners A LOT here lately and I have an lg slim portable and I use the usb brick for my iphone to plug one of the usb into and the other in my Ibook if I dont do it this way it WILL NOT work sometimes it will show up but the burn option is not available.

Attachments

• IMG_20130304_192138.jpg
    IMG_20130304_192138.jpg
    754.2 KB · Views: 56

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I believe my el-cheapo OWC drive works, but I haven't tried it with an iBook. I don't see why there would be any differences between an iMac G4/Power Mac G5 and your iBook.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Hello I have been using external burners A LOT here lately and I have an lg slim portable and I use the usb brick for my iphone to plug one of the usb into and the other in my Ibook if I dont do it this way it WILL NOT work sometimes it will show up but the burn option is not available.[/QUOT]

Thanks. I've done the same thing, though not with an LG, but got the results in my original post.

----------

I believe my el-cheapo OWC drive works, but I haven't tried it with an iBook. I don't see why there would be any differences between an iMac G4/Power Mac G5 and your iBook.

I don't see a difference either. Both drives were of good quality, but non-starters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.