Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
One of the problems about Apple maps was that there was lack of data of places. We could not find the correct place we wanted to go to. So Apple gave us the option of reporting bugs and in that put up solutions.. but this will take a lot of time. We report, then they check, then they release an update, too slow..
So i have come up with a new way to solve this and this will only take a couple of months. This is only my idea but its great.

The people of an area know most of the places, location and description. Apple employs people to fill up data in the maps but With my idea it's easier and faster..
What they should do is they should make the maps interactive!

Why not let users input the information in the maps itself and make it available to the rest of the world.

we know where the places are and what is its description, so it would be amazing to let millions of people to enter the data themselves and make it available to the rest of the world.

no one would upload a false data .. this will be exactly like wikipedia where users around the globe edit and upload new information

By doing this millions of users will input millions of places on the maps in just a couple of months!!!!

it's not impossibe.. Twitter,itunes, AppStore and other places where we upload comments and the whole world can see it, it will be just like that!!! And even Apple can keep uploading new information..

conusmers will upload every information.. the address, the name, the phone number , photograghs(if possible),... every thing!

this mapping system will be the best mapping sytem around the world and it will really be REVOLUTIONARY!

the users would be able to edit the data uploaded by others also in case of mistakes.. Apple could help us by allowing turn by turn directions..
Apple does not need an update for that, they just add it and its there!
Only major bugs need update..
I don't think my idea is wrong

Addition:

When google maps were first released, the y released google maps API.. This helped them grow .. They took several years to be perfect
Apple could a similar thing.. Giving map API to developers and help add data for it., it would be better.
The current Mapkit by apple only allows apps using apple maps and not adding new data..
By giving API to developers then it would be good.

Follow me on twitter @appleincblogger

Last edited:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
This has already been by the open source community, it's called OpenStreetMaps. It is one of the places where Apple took data from. OpenStreetMaps doesn't have the horrendous issues that Apple Maps does. It's what Apple did with the data they took that butchered it.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Personally, I'd rather just use Google Maps and let Apple figure it out.
No need to reinvent the wheel. As far as I can tell, they both have similar functions and features.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Why Apple thought they can do better when Google is been at it for years I will never know.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Why Apple thought they can do better when Google is been at it for years I will never know.

Nobody (smart) thought Apple would do it better out of the gate. But Apple needed to ditch Google's stuff natively since iOS competes with Android. I think Apple's contract with Google was ending this year anyway and Apple didn't want to allow Google to use advertising in that and YouTube. Thus, Apple Maps.

It's not as bad as the vast majority of people make it out to be. Most people don't need walking directions, and using Siri to input my directions is quite nifty.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
If that is revolutionary, the use of OpenStreetMap should disrupt the industry then, because it's the same idea, just instead of employing people, they do it for recreational purposes.
Agreed.. Totally agreed .. But how many people know about this mapping system .. Honestly I didn't know until you told me ..
How about thinking it in a different way with 1 example which is true ..
Wikipedia the worlds biggest online encyclopedia. It is an encyclopedia which can be edited by anyone without any ID or anything .. It's the most reliable source of information on thr net and it did a revolution .. When we say "google it" 70% of the Time we mean searching Wikipedia ..

If People at Wikipedia think that the information is perfect, they don't let it be edited, even Apple can do it.,

Besides , the openstreetmaps are a basic version, when apple introduces this , it's obviously going to promote it and so people will know about it , then it may " disrupt the industry" as you say it.. That's my viewpoint

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Agreed.. Totally agreed .. But how many people know about this mapping system .. Honestly I didn't know until you told me ..
How about thinking it in a different way with 1 example which is true ..
Wikipedia the worlds biggest online encyclopedia. It is an encyclopedia which can be edited by anyone without any ID or anything .. It's the most reliable source of information on thr net and it did a revolution .. When we say "google it" 70% of the Time we mean searching Wikipedia ..

If People at Wikipedia think that the information is perfect, they don't let it be edited, even Apple can do it.,

Besides , the openstreetmaps are a basic version, when apple introduces this , it's obviously going to promote it and so people will know about it , then it may " disrupt the industry" as you say it.. That's my viewpoint

That's exactly the problem with wikipedia. It can be edited by anyone and that's the reason it's not allowed as a source when doing research projects. Is it right most of the time? Yes, but you still run the risk of some idiot coming along and changing something to be completely wrong for a short period of time until someone else corrects it.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
Can be much simpler...

They could simply choose to act upon the feedback they already get in a more timely fashion... and let people know when that feedback is acted-upon, to encourage more feedback.

I've submitted a simple correction about 3 times now, dating back to when Apple Maps was first introduced, but... Nothing. The information is still wrong.

This is concerning the location of the town of Lilliwaup, WA. Apple maps shows it about 10 miles west of the correct location... The incorrect location is on a forest road deep in the mountains - in the middle of nowhere. How long before some unlucky dolt drives up there looking for Lilliwaup, gets stuck in the snow and dies?... just like what happened in Australia.

I don't know why they can't just split the world into X number of equal chunks, and assign a person to be an expert on their chunk, and reply to ALL these inputs. This is pretty basic data entry... and would help their public relations tremendously (provided they actually tell people their problem is fixed). Apple has the resources to do this, but they seem to lack the will. I was hopeful when the new guy took over this project, there would be improvements like this, but nope. Instead, they seem to have focused on meaningless fluff like making sure the 3D views of some bridge don't look all warped. Who cares about that?

I've switched to Google Maps, and moved-on at this point. It's just sad. Every so often I do check Apple maps (like when I click on a contact, and it automatically comes up). It's better than it was, but until they "fix Lilliwaup", I have no faith in it.

dnelms

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
McGee's Crossroads, NC
to the OP... do you honestly feel like that there is not a segment of the population that would want to add false data, offensive wording, wrong data on purpose, etc.???? Each time I have used Apple maps, they have worked. But since Google Maps came back, I only rely on that since it's what has worked for so long.

trustme

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Really disappointed. Was expecting an awesome idea but dude just posts feature from Google Earth.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
They could simply choose to act upon the feedback they already get in a more timely fashion... and let people know when that feedback is acted-upon, to encourage more feedback.

I've submitted a simple correction about 3 times now, dating back to when Apple Maps was first introduced, but... Nothing. The information is still wrong.

This is concerning the location of the town of Lilliwaup, WA. Apple maps shows it about 10 miles west of the correct location... The incorrect location is on a forest road deep in the mountains - in the middle of nowhere. How long before some unlucky dolt drives up there looking for Lilliwaup, gets stuck in the snow and dies?... just like what happened in Australia.

I don't know why they can't just split the world into X number of equal chunks, and assign a person to be an expert on their chunk, and reply to ALL these inputs. This is pretty basic data entry... and would help their public relations tremendously (provided they actually tell people their problem is fixed). Apple has the resources to do this, but they seem to lack the will. I was hopeful when the new guy took over this project, there would be improvements like this, but nope. Instead, they seem to have focused on meaningless fluff like making sure the 3D views of some bridge don't look all warped. Who cares about that?

I've switched to Google Maps, and moved-on at this point. It's just sad. Every so often I do check Apple maps (like when I click on a contact, and it automatically comes up). It's better than it was, but until they "fix Lilliwaup", I have no faith in it.

Have to agree. They rarely seem to act on anything.

I use Apple Maps for driving and it's 95% great.

But for actually locating stuff, Google Maps is much better.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
If you could add/fix things for yourself fine but I wouldn't want to share and use what anyone could enter. Even with the best of intentions people could be wrong. In worst case I own a restaurant and I mis-mark my competitor on purpose. Even worse - change a road to end up in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry I trust Apple more than I trust you.

Everything must be verified by someone to me. As to locations in WV - sorry but locations in NY or London have to come ahead of rural towns anywhere on the list to be veriied.

Maybe Apple should tell the world what they are doing to fix maps and maybe some statistics on veriified changes.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
That's exactly the problem with wikipedia. It can be edited by anyone and that's the reason it's not allowed as a source when doing research projects. Is it right most of the time? Yes, but you still run the risk of some idiot coming along and changing something to be completely wrong for a short period of time until someone else corrects it.

Yeah but that's a very rare case .. And wiki also locks a few pages which then are not allowed by anyone to update except them
Besides what i am saying is that , ONLY apple users would be able to make changes .. So if they wanted to provide wrong data they had to purchase an iOS device..

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
...As to locations in WV - sorry but locations in NY or London have to come ahead of rural towns anywhere on the list to be veriied....

With all due respect, I have no doubt that some @£%$&! bean-counter at Apple is thinking the same thing. However, there is such a thing as parallel processing. All Apple has to do with its mountain of cash is hire enough people to cover all areas. It would be cheaper to due this now while there are so many out of work in the world.

If you know of a rural rebate (or even a non-US rebate for that matter) from Apple, then please let me know. Otherwise, Apple should realize I paid the same for my phone as anybody in London, and indeed I paid more for my iPhone than those in the US. I love Apple, but I hate their myopic focus on the US and on cities. Siri, iOS Maps, & iTunes all have unnecessary limitations if one lives outside of a US city.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah but that's a very rare case .. And wiki also locks a few pages which then are not allowed by anyone to update except them
Besides what i am saying is that , ONLY apple users would be able to make changes .. So if they wanted to provide wrong data they had to purchase an iOS device..

Or..they would already have an Apple device and then provide false information? There are plenty of kids and idiots with iPhones that would absolutely not mind mucking with maps. This would be a terrible idea.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Yeah...I guess that would explain their increasingly crappy sales numbers...oh wait...:confused:

There's no metric for "crappy" sales numbers.

If your sales would have gone up by 35% because you made your product available in more territories, and sales instead went up by 15%, have you done amazing sales numbers that demonstrate people love the product, or have you done increasingly crappy sales numbers but momentum isn't immediately apparent?

Because I think most of us here would say that Microsoft are suffering, but if you ignore momentum, market size etc that means that the population regarded Windows Vista as being the best operating system in human history.

putongnihongo

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2012
What Apple can do to make it's maps more "revolutionary" is take the time and effort to find out how users navigate in their own countries. EG In Tokyo 7-11 is used as a frame of reference for directions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.