Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazysaxchris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
A SMALL TOWN IN WISCONSIN
I'm getting a powermac g4 wiht 9.2, tomorrow. On ebay there's a new apple keyboard. On the apple spec website it said it will only work for osx 1.2! Do you think it would work are there any drivers for it?

thanks

please respond quick

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
crazysaxchris said:
I'm getting a powermac g4 wiht 9.2, tomorrow. On ebay there's a new apple keyboard. On the apple spec website it said it will only work for osx 1.2! Do you think it would work are there any drivers for it?

thanks

please respond quick

I wouldn't bet on it if Apple says it'll only work with OSX. Besides, you really should be running OSX not OS9 on a G4 Mac. The mac experience far greater when you're running an up to date OS.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
First thing I would do is upgrade to Panther or better yet to tiger. Then you don't have any problems with a newer apple keyboard/mouse or third vendor peripherals.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
mfacey said:
IBesides, you really should be running OSX not OS9 on a G4 Mac. The mac experience far greater when you're running an up to date OS.
Who are you to tell people what OS to use? Many people still perfer OS 9 and before. I would never go back to any version prior to Tiger, but I respect people that don't like OS X. I'm not saying that the OP wants to use OS 9 over OS X, I'm just saying that some people do.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
alexstein said:
First thing I would do is upgrade to Panther or better yet to tiger. Then you don't have any problems with a newer apple keyboard/mouse or third vendor peripherals.

I second that. I would first get your new Mac up to date with the software and then I would buy a new Apple keyboard/mouse combo.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
How wouldn't it work? Its just a USB keyboard...

unless early Macs have problems with USB...

USB 1.1 at that - maybe even 1.0. All it does it type.

But its a very nice keyboard.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Wow, you guys are bad. It will work just fine. I used USB keyboards on my old Beige G3 with an add on card in 9 and 10.2. Didn't have any issues. The only thing you'd need drivers for is if it has any special keys that need to be configured that might only work in 10. Regular keys will be fine.

And yeah, I'd get 10 too.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
solvs said:
Wow, you guys are bad. It will work just fine. I used USB keyboards on my old Beige G3 with an add on card in 9 and 10.2. Didn't have any issues. The only thing you'd need drivers for is if it has any special keys that need to be configured that might only work in 10. Regular keys will be fine.

And yeah, I'd get 10 too.

Thats what I said! It's USB so it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.