PDA

View Full Version : How do I shutdown - "windows servers" & osascript?

Apple!Freak
Oct 16, 2005, 06:50 PM
In SystemStat, it's telling me my two top processes taking up the most CPU usage is windows server and osascript. Any idea how to shut these down? And for good?

I never really use virtual PC so I don't need whatever those two are (assuming osascript deals with virtual PC) open.

Thanks in advance. Also, this probably has something to do with my system running at 56% when all of my apps are closed. And I mean all of them. Even finder.

Apple!Freak
Oct 16, 2005, 07:20 PM
??

slimflem
Oct 16, 2005, 07:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the WindowsServer process is for managing the windows of the gui. It has nothing to do with Windows. If you kill this process, OS X will probably cease to function.

gekko513
Oct 16, 2005, 07:47 PM
Yes, WindowServer is the OS X gui. Osascript is the process name for a running Applescript, I think.

Apple!Freak
Oct 16, 2005, 07:58 PM
Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Any ideas why my system runs at 56% when everything is closed, though? Like right now I'm running at 91% with just Apple mail, safari, itunes, and onlife open.

gekko513
Oct 17, 2005, 10:30 AM
You definitely shouldn't be using 56% when everything is closed.

Have you made sure that you quit all applications and not just closed the windows?
Which processes are using the cpu when only Activity Monitor is running? Was that WindowServer and osascript? Select the offending processes (osascript)and click inspector. Take a screen shot of what it says and copy the files and ports open if there are any.
Can you affort a restart and see if the processes are still the same?
Could it be Spotlight indexing your files. Have you recently installed Tiger or added an external hard drive?

Le Big Mac
Oct 17, 2005, 12:12 PM
Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Any ideas why my system runs at 56% when everything is closed, though? Like right now I'm running at 91% with just Apple mail, safari, itunes, and onlife open.

I had this problem as well. Windowserver taking 25-30%. Cured by restart. Not sure why the problem in the first place.