Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suparobg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
anyone know how to compress the photo file. It is at 2.3 mb and i need to upload it on a website but it is too large of a file
iPhoto 11 on my late 2012 iMac 21.5

suparobg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
I want to make the file size smaller its 2 mb I need it compressed down to 2 or 300kb
Export it to where?
Yes its jpeg

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
There are two ways of making the file smaller: make the picture smaller, or throw away some of the data.
Making the picture smaller in size (or lowering the resolution) is the usual way, and you will get proportional results.

Saving as a JPEG uses compression that throws away some data (merely assuming than an area has a given pattern or colour). The more aggressive the JPEG compression, the smaller the picture.

suparobg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
Thanks for the replies. What photo app is better than the iphoto '11 ? I don't want to buy photoshop and I am not a professional photographer. Just a program that edits and crops etc and compresses or resizes in the program itself

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for the replies. What photo app is better than the iphoto '11 ? I don't want to buy photoshop and I am not a professional photographer. Just a program that edits and crops etc and compresses or resizes in the program itself

iPhoto will do that just fine, unless the method I have shown you in the video does not suffice your needs?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

Between iPhoto and Preview you have all the tools you need to do the job, and to do it easily. It is better to learn these tools than to and get more tools. You will need to learn how to use any new tool in any case, so save the time and money use iPhoto or Preview. imho, at least.

Take the time to read the Help files for Preview and iPhoto. And if you are still confused, post back here with some specific questions. We can be very helpful... really. But you must also do some of the work yourself.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Seems to me.....

a good fit to GraphicConverter. Nice and small program that can do very powerful JPEG compression. And a lot more, with less price than PS. But I had obtained good results with GIMP....just my 2 cents....

:):apple:

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Between iPhoto and Preview you have all the tools you need to do the job, and to do it easily. It is better to learn these tools than to and get more tools. You will need to learn how to use any new tool in any case, so save the time and money use iPhoto or Preview. imho, at least.

Take the time to read the Help files for Preview and iPhoto. And if you are still confused, post back here with some specific questions. We can be very helpful... really. But you must also do some of the work yourself.

+1 this advice from snberk103

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Use "preview" it is alrady on your Mac. Simply save copy and choose a much smaller size. YOu can also educe the "quality" to something befor the mid point.

----------

a good fit to GraphicConverter. Nice and small program that can do very powerful JPEG compression. And a lot more, with less price than PS. But I had obtained good results with GIMP...

Both gimps and GraphicConverter are over kill. Preview will do the job just as well

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Adjusting file sizes down to satisfy the Net is a real downer to me. I mean, I get a photo to look nice at 20mb on an HD screen and then I have to knock it down to under 800 px wide to post up from Flickr or under 1.44mb for the MR servers. What a waste. I suppose I should be happy that the mods don't cut pixs in POTD down to thumbnails anymore.

Sorry for the rant (even though it's true), my Meds have been messing with my mood.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.