PDA

View Full Version : Apple so succesful because...?

Must.Get.nano!
Oct 16, 2005, 07:37 PM
Apple is soo succesful simply because of its simplicity.
(Their commercials/Slogans/The iPods/iMacs etc. etc.)

But hey, thats just my opinion...
any comments?

iPaul

TheMonarch
Oct 16, 2005, 07:43 PM
Jobs+Ive

biohazard6969
Oct 16, 2005, 07:59 PM
iPod iPod iPod, its what's holding the company

Lurk
Oct 16, 2005, 08:53 PM
They pay too much attention to their iPods. They should work on the computers a little more too instead of putting most of it on the iPod. This is called Apple Computer Corp., right? Not Apple iPod Corp. ;)

Lurk

TheMonarch
Oct 16, 2005, 08:55 PM
They pay too much attention to their iPods. They should work on the computers a little more too instead of putting most of it on the iPod. This is called Apple Computer Corp., right? Not Apple iPod Corp. ;)

Lurk

"Apple Computer Inc."
;)

chucknorris
Oct 16, 2005, 08:57 PM

Lurk

I'm more excited about computer innovations personally, but the iPod may very well have saved the Mac.

The money generated by the iPod (I include the "halo effect" in this) will most likely pay for the innovations that drive Apple's personal computer market share back up.

I wish Apple would focus more on computers, but we've all got to give credit where credit is due.

DaveP
Oct 16, 2005, 08:57 PM
To echo some of the thoughts, Apple the computer maker isn't exactly super successful. Not failing though either, just teteering on respectability for the last coupld decades.

Danksi
Oct 16, 2005, 09:05 PM
The iPod is as much a switcher product as the Mac Mini...

It works on Windows, which caters for the majority of consumers, then if they liked that then they may like the Mini Mac, to 'easily' replace their current box. Once they're hooked - there's a few other nice looking, well thought out boxes for sale too.

I'm getting a little sick of the iPod being 'the' MP3 player (I have a Zen Xtra and haven't had any reason to change) but it appears to be VERY important to Apple's overall success at the moment.

goodtimes5
Oct 16, 2005, 09:10 PM
Well, since you put this in the iPod section, I'll say the iPod.

Seriously though, I say the simplicity and the good looks.

Xtremehkr
Oct 16, 2005, 09:25 PM
They make products people want to buy.

EricNau
Oct 16, 2005, 09:27 PM

Lurk
The iPod is also like a gigantic ad for Apple Computers. If someone really loves thier iPod, there's a chance they might figure out Apple Computers are just as good.
Without the iPod I doubt Apple's computer marketshare would be going up.

puckhead193
Oct 16, 2005, 10:53 PM
couldn't have said it any better, also i think the imac (original) also helped them out a lot too.

Tommyg117
Oct 16, 2005, 11:12 PM
Apple is so big because they look at what people need, make it simple, and make it work like things should. PC's and other mp3 players are overly complex and have too many error messasges and are just all around more difficult. Apple is so successful because they know what people want.

DarkNetworks
Oct 17, 2005, 12:04 AM
Apple is soo succesful
iPaul

err....
are they "soo"?

justinisham
Oct 17, 2005, 12:08 AM
so far the only apple thing ive bought is this ipod and its been a big piece of crap... so i dunno... i dont like the way the song thing is set up opposed to a flash base player u can set it however but i love the size of hard drive on these things..

watcher2001
Oct 17, 2005, 01:13 AM
I'm more excited about computer innovations personally, but the iPod may very well have saved the Mac.

The money generated by the iPod (I include the "halo effect" in this) will most likely pay for the innovations that drive Apple's personal computer market share back up.

I wish Apple would focus more on computers, but we've all got to give credit where credit is due.

I agree whole heartedly. the iPod is what is fueling the apple coffers. If they can use that money to make major enhancements to the computer line without having to pass that on to the consumer more power to em.

balamw
Oct 17, 2005, 01:38 AM
Apple is so succesful simply because of its simplicity.
Simplicity is a big part of it, but IMHO it's the combination of simplicity with utility that defines the Apple experience and thus its success.

I mean you can make something as simple as you want, but if it doesn't do what you need it to do, it won't be successful.

Many of Apple's competitors focus on the features, and end up with a product that is so complex that no-one can figure out how to do it. During the dark years of the late 90s Apple started to fall into this trap offering too many overlaping/confusing configurations and options.

If today's Apple had been in the VCR business, you can bet they would have found a simple way around the flashing 0:00 that graced so many VCRs.

B

hookahco
Oct 17, 2005, 02:24 AM
ill assume your talking about the ipod..
i think its because its so simple yet so powerful and precise.. its so easy to use but looks great and performs great too. and, it doesnt have lousy "features" that make it complex like other players. its turned into a culture icon

crazyjoeda
Oct 17, 2005, 02:48 AM

iMac saved Apple, iPod made them rich and OSX made me buy one. Mac computers are successful because they just work, with iPod I think Apple made a better Mp3 player but basicly got lucky that it was so incredibly successful.

Xeem
Oct 17, 2005, 03:45 AM
It is all in the design. You will find a better equipped competitor at nearly every price point of every product Apple offers, but none of them will be as elegant.

chucknorris
Oct 17, 2005, 05:00 AM
It is all in the design. You will find a better equipped competitor at nearly every price point of every product Apple offers, but none of them will be as elegant.

I love that aspect of Macs, but it really has nothing to do with Apple's success. Historically, people have chosen Macs because they work like they're supposed to and pack in features that most PC manufacturers couldn't touch.

Only recently (within two or three years) have PC makers caught up and in many ways surpassed Apple on specs. I predict that this will soon change though, following the Intel transition.

iPods, on the other hand, have succeeded almost entirely due to their design.

To echo some of the thoughts, Apple the computer maker isn't exactly super successful. Not failing though either, just teteering on respectability for the last coupld decades.

Umm...if we go back two decades, everybody was wild for a little something called Macintosh. Apple is not teetering on the edge of respectability now, or really ever.

They looked doomed at one point, but that had more to do with lack of excitement with their products than with poor quality in the products themselves.

Apple computers have almost always been the most reliable/user friendly around, and have thus always been quite respected.