PDA

View Full Version : Latest OS X 10.8.3 Beta Adds NVIDIA Quadro K5000 Graphics Card Drivers

MacRumors
Mar 6, 2013, 01:22 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/06/latest-os-x-10-8-3-beta-adds-nvidia-k5000-graphics-card-drivers/)

As noted in our forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1552755), Apple's latest OS X 10.8.3 beta seeded to developers (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/05/apple-seeds-build-12d76-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/) as build 12D76 yesterday contains new drivers for NVIDIA's high-end Quadro K5000 graphics card. NVIDIA announced the Quadro K5000 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/07/nvidia-announces-quadro-k5000-professional-gpu-for-mac-pro/) for the Mac Pro last September, but has yet to actually release the product.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/k5000_drivers_10_8_3.jpg
The first developer build of OS X 10.8.3 seeded last November added AMD Radeon 7000-series drivers (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/27/os-x-10-8-3-beta-contains-drivers-for-amd-radeon-7000-series-graphics-cards/), so it appears that the public release of the operating system update will include support for several high-end graphics options. Just yesterday, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/05/sapphire-previews-radeon-hd-7950-mac-edition-graphics-card-for-mac-pro/) that Sapphire was previewing its Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition graphics card at CeBIT.

Apple has not yet revealed when it will be releasing OS X 10.8.3 to the public, but we've heard that the latest build was distributed to company employees as a pre-release version, so it seems that its debut may be very close after over three months of developer testing.

Apple is expected to release a revamped Mac Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/) sometime this year, although it is unclear exactly when the company is planning for the workstation to make its debut.

Article Link: Latest OS X 10.8.3 Beta Adds NVIDIA Quadro K5000 Graphics Card Drivers (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/06/latest-os-x-10-8-3-beta-adds-nvidia-k5000-graphics-card-drivers/)

JM-Prod
Mar 6, 2013, 01:26 PM
Nice, looking forward to the K5000 in my Mac Pro...

Anyone know anything about price and availability?

Dor Levy
Mar 6, 2013, 01:35 PM
Release the new Mac Pro already :(

imariopereira
Mar 6, 2013, 01:41 PM
I'm really looking forward for the announce of the new Mac Pro! :)

Dor Levy
Mar 6, 2013, 01:46 PM
Isn't the GTX690 faster than k5000?

Bubba Satori
Mar 6, 2013, 01:53 PM
Isn't the GTX690 faster than k5000?

In games, yes. In professional applications, no.

epelba01
Mar 6, 2013, 01:54 PM
Forget Mac Pro. Lets start with the official release of 10.8.3. Appleinsider stopped mentioning the betas because it has become an almost weekly occurrence with no indication of official release. It's a joke.

Peace
Mar 6, 2013, 01:55 PM
I don't doubt this but I can't find the kext file for this card. Anybody know what it's called ?

Gator Bob
Mar 6, 2013, 01:57 PM
Forget Mac Pro. Lets start with the official release of 10.8.3. Appleinsider stopped mentioning the betas because it has become an almost weekly occurrence with no indication of official release. It's a joke.

Yeeesssssss! It want 10.8.3 bootcamp drivers so I can put Windows 8 in my Bootcamp partition.

JM-Prod
Mar 6, 2013, 02:08 PM

I'm not in a hurry, my newly refurbished 12 core MacPro performs at double speed of the top-spec'ed current generation iMac... a supported fast GFX-card would be nice...

kensic
Mar 6, 2013, 02:13 PM
Nice, looking forward to the K5000 in my Mac Pro...

Anyone know anything about price and availability?

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/07/nvidia-announces-quadro-k5000-professional-gpu-for-mac-pro/

according to the article above its 2250$ and should be available now. damn that's 1 expensive component.

djacopille
Mar 6, 2013, 02:31 PM
This one is not a rumor - it's officially on Nvidia's site now.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-k5000-mac.html

Occasionally a new Mac video card comes out. Often with a new Mac Pro, but not always.

Apple puts all available Mac video cards have drivers into the OS. There are so few Mac video cards it's the least they can do.

satyrica
Mar 6, 2013, 02:31 PM
Don't get too excited. The card and these drivers will be old when the pro finally releases....

scottishwildcat
Mar 6, 2013, 02:49 PM
Of all the things to get irked about, this just about takes the biscuit. What possible difference does it make to you whether they release 1 beta or 12, as long as it's well tested before it's released? And since when did Apple ever give you an indication of the official release date in advance?

gwelmarten
Mar 6, 2013, 02:50 PM
Can't wait - it's just so overdue - I bet they have something special lined up for us. Looking forwards to be wowwed!

tYNS
Mar 6, 2013, 03:14 PM
In games, yes. In professional applications, no.

Not really true. When you buy Quadro cards you are paying for the driver stability. The drivers are typically underclocking the same processors to achieve that stability. The GPU cores usually the same as the consumer cards. That being said... If the drivers are written to optimize certain frameworks like opengl or opencl... the quadro could achieve similar benchmarks as a consumer card (or higher) but perform with more accurate computation. ie. The gtx driver could be written to boost Cuda performance for a game but have no attention paid to opengl or opencl. Where the same gpu processor on a quadro card will perform poorly on games and be far more optimized for opencl and opengl. It all has to do with drivers.

It is a confusing matter, but can be summed up in the simple fact that you (big institutions and production houses) are paying to have quality drivers that don't crash or perform poorly in the high end apps you may need with quadro cards.

Even then though.. You have to take into consideration whether the application you are using takes advantage of the card/drivers to begin with.

I have seen production houses run on consumer grade Nvidia 5xx and 6xx cards and they perform equal or better than quadro cards.

There is also the fact that Quadro cards give you 10-bit (i think up to 30-bit in the FX) color. Do most people need this ... No.

jamesjingyi
Mar 6, 2013, 03:56 PM
Atm the rMBP 15" is more powerful than the Mac Pro... Imagine the power with this card and amazing solid state drives, lots of RAM, 12 cores making 24 virtual ones.... Wow!

Torrijos
Mar 6, 2013, 04:20 PM
This bodes well for a Mac Pro refresh...

Now if only Intel could release new workstation processors that would be swell.

cflem
Mar 6, 2013, 04:48 PM
10.8.3 and 10.9 will both be announced same day... I would assume there's something in there they are trying to keep secret. Mac pros, iLife, iWork, all coming very very soon.

tdtran1025
Mar 6, 2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah, new MP is coming.

Peace
Mar 6, 2013, 05:18 PM
Yeah, new MP is coming.

It better get here pretty fast. I don't think Apple is going to continue with these endless beta seeds for much longer.

sbgirling
Mar 6, 2013, 05:19 PM
Can we say "scope creep"

lwapps
Mar 6, 2013, 05:26 PM
The graphics card is making real life look less and less realistic.

spaz8
Mar 6, 2013, 05:29 PM
Yes you are paying for drivers, but its way more than just the stability and certification. The Qaudro and FireGL card drivers have completely different rendering behavior than their gaming equivalents.

Workstation cards are for CAD, DCC (3d animation), medical vis, video I suppose. Lots of VRAM to store large data sets (textures, mesh) in memory.

Gaming cards are for gaming - 1/2 to 1/3 the mem, and different rendering behavior.

A gaming card treats the screen as one big dump of pixels and works to refresh the entire screen at 60hz+

A workstation card breaks the screen into individual graphic layers, and gets its great performance by only having to redraw layers that have been updated. So instead of redrawing the entire screen at 60hz ... perhaps only one viewport you're tumbling your model in needs redraw so say a 1/4 of the screen needs updating, and all the horsepower can be focused on that.

A game is much more chaotic than an application and has elements changing all over the place at teh same time, which is why Workstations cards don't fare as well at drawing games. Just as a gaming card aren't as efficient in an application because it is constantly redrawing the whole screen instead of just a fraction of it.

Mustard Seed
Mar 6, 2013, 05:51 PM
What I'd love to see is support for graphics cards in Thunderbolt external PCI chassis.

spaz8
Mar 6, 2013, 05:53 PM
I want opengl 4.2 and SLI/crossfire.. support.

Peace
Mar 6, 2013, 05:54 PM
I want opengl 4.2 and SLI/crossfire.. support.

Good luck with that.

Mac Kiwi
Mar 6, 2013, 07:07 PM
Ooh 4k of ram pushing the viewport polys.

The price will be waay prohibitive mind you.

The Mac Pro releases usually go like this, with graphics cards - You get the card the PC world has just moved on from, sans the Quadros.

The new drivers on offer in ML have me very optimistic for the future though.

HiVolt
Mar 6, 2013, 08:05 PM
LOL, so if a new Mac Pro comes out in the next month or two, it'll probably have last generation graphics already, as AMD would have likely released their 8000 series cards by then. :)

winston1236
Mar 6, 2013, 08:58 PM

Seriously, im ready for the mac mini pro to come out

IceMacMac
Mar 6, 2013, 10:23 PM
Best Mac news in a long, long time, IMO.

I agree it bodes well for an imminent Mac Pro. And GPU power is for me the #1 most important criteria.

simonmet
Mar 6, 2013, 11:26 PM
The K5000 is far from being Nvidia's highest performing card, it's more of a mid-range pro card, just like the AMD 7950 is far from being AMD's best gaming card.

When will Apple let its pro customers have access to the best available cards on the market???

The 7970 or 7990 are only supported in existing Mac Pros by way of user hacks that probably void warranty by re-routing or overloading certain power connections...

koban4max
Mar 6, 2013, 11:28 PM
It better get here pretty fast. I don't think Apple is going to continue with these endless beta seeds for much longer.

Apple don't need to rush...they got ipad.

simonmet
Mar 6, 2013, 11:33 PM
What I'd love to see is support for graphics cards in Thunderbolt external PCI chassis.

Now that would be something!

Peace
Mar 6, 2013, 11:40 PM
Apple don't need to rush...they got ipad.

At this point we are beyond "rush".

;)

simonmet
Mar 6, 2013, 11:44 PM
LOL, so if a new Mac Pro comes out in the next month or two, it'll probably have last generation graphics already, as AMD would have likely released their 8000 series cards by then. :)

Exactly, but they wouldn't want to shock us too much by actually bundling a current medium to high-end card as default (such as the 7970/8970) and supporting the best available dual-GPU cards (7990/8990).

People might think Apple actually cares about pros and gamers instead of just being a consumer device company and they can't have that evidently...

deconstruct60
Mar 7, 2013, 12:52 AM

You mean these 8000 series desktop offerings?

" ... At the same time AMD rebadged a bunch of other desktop 7000 series parts into the 8000 OEM series, with Cape Verde, Pitcairn, and Tahiti products all making the jump. ... "
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6751/amd-reiterates-2013-gpu-plans-sea-islands-beyond

" .. The Radeon HD 7000 series isnít going anywhere in the retail market, but in the OEM market where OEMs are demanding parts with higher numbers, the entire Radeon family from top to bottom is getting rebadged. ..."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6570/amds-annual-gpu-rebadge-radeon-hd-8000-series-for-oems

There is some lower mid range stuff that is new for later this year but mid-upper range what is coming out this year is primarily already out minus some minor tweaks.

deconstruct60
Mar 7, 2013, 01:14 AM
The K5000 is far from being Nvidia's highest performing card, it's more of a mid-range pro card, just like the AMD 7950 is far from being AMD's best gaming card.

When will Apple let its pro customers have access to the best available cards on the market???

Depends upon what want to do....

' ... . "Like many artists who use DaVinci Resolve, colorists seek the highest performance possible from their systems, and with just one of the new Kepler GPUs our users will be able to work with 4K imagery on their Mac Pros in real time." ... '
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/nvida-announces-kepler-based-quadro-k5000-gpu-for-mac-pro/

" ... Even with two K5000 chips in this desktop, Premiere Pro utilizes just one, but After Effects takes advantage of both GPUs. ... "
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/nvidia-quadro-k5000-for-mac-hands-on/#continued

That two fit can also be a benefit, if leveraged as opposed to just one which just maxes out the power sources.

To couch this as though these cards can't be used to get real work done is stretch. They are fast enough for a broad spectrum of uses. There is always some subset at the absolute bleeding edge but that is a small subset.

Besides, it isn't totally up to Apple. Apple doesn't stop 3rd party vendors from putting cards on the market. Nvidia and AMD do the low level driver work. Apple could "bribe" them into perhaps jumpstarting a card but if there was a substantial market with millions to spend the vendors would show up.

The 7970 or 7990 are only supported in existing Mac Pros by way of user hacks that probably void warranty by re-routing or overloading certain power connections...

10.8.3 betas have support. But yes power; that one issue that could be addressed in a upgraded model.

Tashencrabbie
Mar 7, 2013, 02:10 AM
Of all the things to get irked about, this just about takes the biscuit. What possible difference does it make to you whether they release 1 beta or 12, as long as it's well tested before it's released? And since when did Apple ever give you an indication of the official release date in advance?

Answer to question one:
Who are you to question legitimate, documented, widespread, system breaking, damn near LEGION issues with 10.8.2 point release? Startup speed fix; shutdown speed fix; HDMI color output and stability issues; TWO supplemental .2 patches; Safari (lack of) responsiveness; officially the longest wait for an OSX dot release, 160 days and counting; concern about 10.9 release schedule for developers and administrators; lack of Windows 8 support (still!); rMBP speed; and finally, my favorite, plain flat broke implementation of Fusion Drive tech with Disk Utility.

Answer to question two:
Apple gave me $1500 Mac mini worth of indications that they would not make huge mistakes nor death-by-a-thousand-cuts. Premium money DEMANDS premium results NOT a dozen betas and counting. I coulda (shoulda?) spent that money on an absolutely KILLER gaming rig.

ConCat
Mar 7, 2013, 03:39 AM
I'm really looking forward for the announce of the new Mac Pro! :)

Wait till you see what the new Mac Pro will be able to do (at least I'm fairly certain). Core Storage hasn't spread its wings yet. It's still a mere hatchling. When it does, the only computer in which it'll be able to show its true power is the Mac Pro. It's only a matter of time.

simonmet
Mar 7, 2013, 05:41 AM
10.8.3 betas have support. But yes power; that one issue that could be addressed in a upgraded model.

The cynic in me says it was a form of deliberate crippling. I'd love to be able to stick a 7970 in my 2010 for about twice the performance over the 5870, but officially I can't, even with 10.8.3 adding driver support.

It's the only disappointment I've had with the fantastic machine and display...but that's the thing about Apple, they always hold something back; giving us enough to keep us addicted and drip feeding updates...

koban4max
Mar 7, 2013, 09:36 AM
at this point we are beyond "rush".

;)
yup

frabber
Mar 7, 2013, 09:37 AM
Yes sir, finally, if they don't get their act together on the Pro end it will bite them in the long run as other companies will take that market.

Also technology needs to trickle down from Pro -> consumer devices as these devices get more and more powerful.

I am expecting a closed loop watercooled case to keep up with the range of awesome high end PC cases that have come out the last years.

SvP
Mar 7, 2013, 10:11 AM
Yes you are paying for drivers, but its way more than just the stability and certification. The Qaudro and FireGL card drivers have completely different rendering behavior than their gaming equivalents.

Workstation cards are for CAD, DCC (3d animation), medical vis, video I suppose. Lots of VRAM to store large data sets (textures, mesh) in memory.

Gaming cards are for gaming - 1/2 to 1/3 the mem, and different rendering behavior.

A gaming card treats the screen as one big dump of pixels and works to refresh the entire screen at 60hz+

A workstation card breaks the screen into individual graphic layers, and gets its great performance by only having to redraw layers that have been updated. So instead of redrawing the entire screen at 60hz ... perhaps only one viewport you're tumbling your model in needs redraw so say a 1/4 of the screen needs updating, and all the horsepower can be focused on that.

A game is much more chaotic than an application and has elements changing all over the place at teh same time, which is why Workstations cards don't fare as well at drawing games. Just as a gaming card aren't as efficient in an application because it is constantly redrawing the whole screen instead of just a fraction of it.

awesome explanation, thank you!

thedarkhorse
Mar 7, 2013, 12:30 PM
Crossing fingers for mac pro release/announcement during NAB. I hope they offer the GTX titan as an option, seems like a decent middleground between a high end gaming card and an overly expensive workstation card (I need cuda so only interested in Nvidia options).

ikir
Mar 7, 2013, 01:19 PM
Sooo nice!

toke lahti
Mar 7, 2013, 01:53 PM
Occasionally a new Mac video card comes out. Often with a new Mac Pro, but not always.
Yeah, maybe even twice in decade.

7000-series beta in November and now it's March, Sign of the Times...

Maybe final is out in the summer or next year, what's the hurry?

Rampage Dev
Mar 7, 2013, 03:37 PM

Do you even know what you are talking about?

First the 7970, 7950, 7870 and 7770 are supported as of 10.8.3. The 7990 is a dual GPU and there never has been Crossfire in Mac or SLI for that matter and there are no signs this is changing.

Second you can put any GPU in a Mac Pro without voiding the warranty.

Last the K5000 is meant for 3D work such as CS applications. Apple looks at the needs of developers not gamers. So I ask you to only comment on such items that you are informed about and know what the purpose of such a machine is designed for.

Peace
Mar 7, 2013, 03:42 PM

First the 7970, 7950, 7870 and 7770 are supported as of 10.8.3. The 7990 is a dual GPU and there never has been Crossfire in Mac or SLI for that matter and there are no signs this is changing.

Last the K5000 is meant for 3D work such as CS applications. Apple looks at the needs of developers not gamers. So I ask you to only comment on such items that you are informed about and know what the purpose of such a machine is designed for.

Off topic.

Man I realize you're new here but people have a right to give their opinions whether they are right or wrong so please stop asking people to not post.

carry on !
:)

JM-Prod
Mar 7, 2013, 09:42 PM
I'll ask again, maybe someone knows, anyone know anything about shipping dates for the Mac K5000?

simonmet
Mar 8, 2013, 05:28 AM

Thanks, but I know exactly what I'm talking about. Nothing you said was any news to me whatsoever and I didn't say anything that was incorrect. The K5000 is a mid-range Pro card and far from AMDs best just like I said. But thanks for the rant.

I said "possibly" void warranty and if you're so sure that it doesn't perhaps you can explain to the forum how one might install a 7990 (or 7970) into the existing Mac Pro with its two 75W 6-pin power connectors available to the PCI slots.

Rampage Dev
Mar 8, 2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks, but I know exactly what I'm talking about. Nothing you said was any news to me whatsoever and I didn't say anything that was incorrect. The K5000 is a mid-range Pro card and far from AMDs best just like I said. But thanks for the rant.

I said "possibly" void warranty and if you're so sure that it doesn't perhaps you can explain to the forum how one might install a 7990 (or 7970) into the existing Mac Pro with its two 75W 6-pin power connectors available to the PCI slots.

The K5000 is currently the highest Pro card on the market for Mac OS X or for any other OS at the moment and does things that the AMD card's could never do. The new Titan Card works under Mac OS X as well.

As for the AMD 7xxx Series. The drivers are self initiating:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,5086.0.html

You can use a external power supply or a 6 to 8 pin PCIe Power Adaptor.

Bubba Satori
Mar 8, 2013, 06:55 PM
The K5000 is a mid-range Pro card and far from AMDs best just like I said.

Wrong.
You should check out the reviews and benchmarks at Tom's Hardware, Anand's,
Guru3D, Hot Hardware, Ars Technica and many others before you make patently
inaccurate statements like that. Seriously.

Kashchei
Mar 8, 2013, 07:23 PM
This driver issue convinces me that when 10.8.3 is finally released, it will be renamed 10.9. It will be advertised as having hundreds of new features, including new graphic drivers and other features--wi-fi and fast shutdown--that now actually work. /rant

Andreasen
Mar 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
Wait! Can you change graphics cards in a Mac pro? :apple:

sn1p3r845
Mar 12, 2013, 02:41 PM
I'll ask again, maybe someone knows, anyone know anything about shipping dates for the Mac K5000?

I've been having lots of email conversations back and forth with my rep from www.ncix.com and he informed me he can get the card in for me no problem in Quarter 1 of 2013 (still waiting). The last I heard from him on March 4, 2013 is "I got a response (for availability), but I'm not allowed to share it yet. :)"

sounds like it'll be very very soon.

brunerd
Mar 13, 2013, 12:30 PM
A coworker had this brilliant insight: "When's NAB"
Duh.

Apple HAS to have a new Mac Pro announced by April 6-11, NAB 2013.

Otherwise the show will be nothing but folks bitching about Mac Pro's measly speed bump last fall, without any Thunderbolt ports, no USB 3, etc... even if they won't be shipping for a month or longer, Apple will at least announce the new Mac Pro by NAB so folks'll have something positive to say about Apple and the Pro market and not be looking to jump ship! Perhaps they'll throw in a new Logic Pro release and a Final Cut X update too? Some sort of "Focus on the Pro market" things, seems Apple gets monomaniacal and has refocus on the things that have been getting long in the tooth... over and over again... "Back to the Mac"?

wilhoitm
Mar 13, 2013, 09:42 PM
Isn't the Quadro K5000 a PCI Express 3.0 card? Won't it be crippled in the current Mac Pro?

Socrates NL
Mar 16, 2013, 04:04 AM
PNY Europe will release the card on monday to their partners

----------

A coworker had this brilliant insight: "When's NAB"
Duh.

Apple HAS to have a new Mac Pro announced by April 6-11, NAB

mmm I dont think they will clear the supermeet again...
Apple wil has Its own pace
April-June timeframe or a silent death

pcd109
Mar 16, 2013, 05:15 AM
Isn't the Quadro K5000 a PCI Express 3.0 card? Won't it be crippled in the current Mac Pro?
The main issue is not the driver for graphics card. Apple OSX it's the issue, as it does not have support for latest Opengl. In fact it's one year behind even Linux!!! This says everything about Apple commitment to the pro market. I mean, even Linux witch is open source(as in free) has support for OpenGL 4.3, while Apple is still at.... 3.2! How the heck to justify the purchase of a 2300$ card for an operating system witch doesn't have support for it's features?!? I am glad that i dumped Apple last year, they have zero interest in the pro market nowadays. Where are the days when Apple introduced production features in the OS? All they do now is to offer 'twitter' integration. Oau, i am so excited that we have so many eye candy that i will drop 6000$(yeap, that's the cost of 2x6 core mac 'pro' in Europe) on a 'workstation' with 2 years old hardware and no support for professional OpenGl drivers. What a joke, i wonder when they will start to fall.

cosmicz
Mar 16, 2013, 05:27 AM
I have a Quadro K5000 card at the office, and I wan't to test it in a MacPro.
Where can I see if the driver made it to the 10.8.3 release?

_Kasper

wilhoitm
Mar 17, 2013, 03:59 PM

Wow, I went to the Nvidia web site and the Quadro K5000 and Quadro K6000 cards are both PCI Express 2.0 x16 cards. While the Geforce TITAN is a PCI Express 3.0 card. Am I missing something here?

sn1p3r845
Mar 23, 2013, 12:32 PM
guys.. guys...

GUYS...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133486

omnious
Mar 24, 2013, 07:47 PM
*removed*