PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air Water Spill

whatshouldido
Mar 7, 2013, 09:11 AM
Okay, I swear. It was just a tiny water drop.

Being the idiot I am, I accidentally spilled a bit of water on the space bar of my Macbook, and a bit on the touch pad. Just a little bit. Not even a milliliter of water. Well anyway, carry on-- I researched on what to do for about five minutes, and I ended up turning the laptop off and letting it lie upside down.

And roughly 30 minutes after, I turned it on (an idiotic move again-- I know) but the laptop seemed to be working fine. It wasn't freezing, hanging or spazzing and all the keys seemed to be functioning well.

My question is -- is it already safe to use? I mean, it was working well the five minutes after it was spilled on and when I checked thirty minutes after. Right now, it's currently turned off and lying upside down in an airconditioned room. I'm not doing anything else to it unless you guys give me some input.

Someone help me, I'm just trying to finish my essay here.

DisplacedMic
Mar 7, 2013, 11:27 AM

Being the idiot I am, I accidentally spilled a bit of water on the space bar of my Macbook, and a bit on the touch pad. Just a little bit. Not even a milliliter of water. Well anyway, carry on-- I researched on what to do for about five minutes, and I ended up turning the laptop off and letting it lie upside down.

And roughly 30 minutes after, I turned it on (an idiotic move again-- I know) but the laptop seemed to be working fine. It wasn't freezing, hanging or spazzing and all the keys seemed to be functioning well.

My question is -- is it already safe to use? I mean, it was working well the five minutes after it was spilled on and when I checked thirty minutes after. Right now, it's currently turned off and lying upside down in an airconditioned room. I'm not doing anything else to it unless you guys give me some input.

a few months ago i spilled an entire glass of 12 year old single pot still whiskey onto my MBP. my brother's dog knocked my hand. i was so pissed... also i was mad about the lap top.

but don't worry, I just poured myself another glass so it was fine.

As for the laptop, i had to take it apart and dry out the internals. took forever, was a huge pain but eventually it worked fine. That was a full glass... if you are really only talking about 1mL then i think what you're doing is fine.

FuNGi
Mar 8, 2013, 03:08 PM
About a year ago I spilt half a bottle of beer (not scotch thank the gods) onto the back of my MBA. It ran down the screen and into the vents where thy precious logic board lie. I forced quite that mofo and shook the s&!t out of it upside down for a bit. Then kept it on it's side with a hair-drier aimed at the vent but a comfortably safe (i.e. not to hot boyo) distance. I just left that mammer jammer there for 3-4 hours (it was a hotel). She was dry as a bone and everything works great. If you really spilt just a mL I wouldn't worry but try my fix to be sure.

xShane
Mar 8, 2013, 03:15 PM

I wouldn't worry if it's as tiny of a drop of water as you say it is.

If you want to be truly safe, wait a solid 24 hours.

abz1981
Mar 8, 2013, 04:39 PM

How about leaving it in a bucket of uncooked rice over night?