PDA

View Full Version : Original MBA Battery Replacement

ks-man
Mar 7, 2013, 01:22 PM
I have an original MBA which we use as a secondary computer (actually more like a sixthary counting iPads)

I thought it was charged but it powered off after about 10 mins and a quick look shows me a battery health of 7% and a note saying Condition-Replace Now.

I'd imagine this thing is toast so what is the cost to have the battery replaced by Apple? It probably is worth it to me for under $100 but if I decide not to, when was the last time the MBA was upgraded and what are the likely upcoming upgrades in the next version?

Thanks.

AlanShutko
Mar 8, 2013, 01:48 PM
Battery replacement on the original MBA was $129 when I had it done.

Here's the MacRumor's buyer's guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air) on the MBA. It recommends holding off unless you need to replace.

alphaod
Mar 8, 2013, 02:19 PM
Battery replacement on the original MBA was $129 when I had it done.

Here's the MacRumor's buyer's guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air) on the MBA. It recommends holding off unless you need to replace.

Yeah at 7% health, I think it's time. ;)

ks-man
Mar 9, 2013, 01:26 PM
I think I'm going to sell the computer. Other than the battery it is perfect. Do you think I'd get a better price listing it and saying it needs to have its battery replaced or replacing the battery myself and advertising it with a brand new battery?

Basically do you think I'd get an extra $129 selling it with a new battery than selling it as is but acknowledging the battery performance?

aoitsukinosuke
Mar 10, 2013, 01:29 AM
I think I'm going to sell the computer. Other than the battery it is perfect. Do you think I'd get a better price listing it and saying it needs to have its battery replaced or replacing the battery myself and advertising it with a brand new battery?

Basically do you think I'd get an extra $129 selling it with a new battery than selling it as is but acknowledging the battery performance?

Listing it with the battery problem would either get you very few feedback as people opt for hassle free products or they would try to get a price way below than the $129 differential. I would.

IMO; change the battery, tell them that it has a brand new battery with documentation and you should be better off.