Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

risc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

Does anyone here have a 6800 Ultra DDL they use with their G5? If so got any comments to make about the performance, etc? I'm considering buying 1 but I can't seem to find any real information about them, using the current drivers from 10.4.2.

Cheers!

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I got a 6800 GT DDL card directly from Apple and returned it a few days later - it was insanely noisy, which was surprising given the size of the cooling solution. I swapped it for the ATI X800XT and its MUCH MUCH quieter, close to silent.

Basically the ATI adds a very very slight increase in noise of the G5, and the system+graphics fans spin up as necessary under load (not by a huge amount thankfully). The NVidia card on the other hand doesn't seem to affect the system fans, but its own on-board fan is spinning very fast ALL the time.

Another plus for the X800XT is that there is a freely available overclocking utility ATIccelerator which allows you to get a bit more performance out of the card. Add to that the control panel which allows you to modify the performance/visual quality settings (something the NVidia card sadly lacks) means that although I prefer NVidia cards on the PC Platform, the ATI card seems to be the better engineered, better thought out card than the NVidia on Mac OS X.

Personally, I'd go for the ATI. You'll save a lot of time returning cards the way I had to. Performance seems to be equal, if not better than the 6800GT

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
NATO said:
Another plus for the X800XT is that there is a freely available overclocking utility ATIccelerator which allows you to get a bit more performance out of the card.
ATIccelerator is dead, long live Graphiccelerator, which does work with the 6800 Ultra, too. So, this isn't a reason anymore.

I'm content with the 6800, though I believe that the X800XT is indeed even better.

risc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
In Australia they want $1100 for the X800 XT which I wasn't prepared to pay. This is the only reason I picked the 6800 Ultra DDL over the X800 XT, from what I can tell performance is pretty much the same for both cards. I could of imported the X800 XT from the US but if I had of done that I would of ended up paying more than the price of the 6800 Ultra DDL. Some times living in Australia can be a bit harsh. :)

risc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
simie said:
Where ever you get your Card from just replace the heat-sink and fan after the warranty is up...

Great link thanks. The card is brand new so I'll check out the warranty on it when it arrives. Cheers!

risc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
NATO said:
...Personally, I'd go for the ATI. You'll save a lot of time returning cards the way I had to. Performance seems to be equal, if not better than the 6800GT

I actually bought the 6800 Ultra DDL not the GT.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
risc said:
I actually bought the 6800 Ultra DDL not the GT.

Whoops, my bad. I didn't think of the Ultra, Apple don't seem to offer them on the UK Store, hence I missed it!

Cool thing about Graphicaccelerator, will have to give that a go later tonight ;)

RoxStrongo

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
Bournemouth, UK
i would be extremely interested to know the difference between the 6800 GT DLL and the X850 XT as i am looking to purchase a dual 2.7 with one of those cards. they are both the same price but the apple site shows the nvidia to be slightly better. i also want to have 2x20" displays and the ati is saying someting about a adc to dvi converter. would i need that with the radeon?

risc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
NATO said:
Whoops, my bad. I didn't think of the Ultra, Apple don't seem to offer them on the UK Store, hence I missed it!

Cool thing about Graphicaccelerator, will have to give that a go later tonight ;)

Yeah the 6800 Ultra DDL isn't available at all anymore, I found a company selling a brand new one on eBay.com.au I paid for it today, and it actually turned up a few hours later. It's a great update from my 9800 XT, and well worth the money IMO. The Ultra is actually no louder than my 9800 either.

I'll have to check out that app a little later too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.