Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cajunbubba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I have googled for days and have not found the best workflow. I have a FCP 7 sequence that is in ProRes HQ. It is 1080p. It was filmed in 59.97 fps but converted to 29.97 fps Prores for FCP. I want to take this 40 min, 1080p, 29.97 fps, ProRes Sequence to Blu ray with the best quality settings available. I have new toys ( adobe encore, Roxio Toast, and Lacie external Blu-ray burner). Help with work flow please?

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
You can create a BluRay disc with Adobe Encore by starting a new project and, in the initial settings, choosing the Blu Ray format. Then you should be able to import the ProRes MOV of the sequence directly, and Encore can compress it for you.

Alternatively, you can use Compressor or Adobe Media Encoder to compress the video and audio to the proper formats for possibly better-looking results, if you know what you're doing.

Of course, you will need a BluRay burner to burn the disc, which you will have to purchase separately as Apple never got on the BluRay train.

Cajunbubba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I have a blu ray burner as I stated in my original post

Thanks for the info. When I export the Sequence using as a QuickTime file using current sequence settings, it comes out as 59.9 fps. So I guess my FCP sequence is edited in that format. It is 126GB in size (no problem I have a bunch of space)

What settings do I use in Compressor? Step be step please.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the info. When I export the Sequence using as a QuickTime file using current sequence settings, it comes out as 59.9 fps.

This is an issue that should really be fixed before moving on. You should start with a 29.97 ProRes (or similar high-quality codec) file of the sequence you want on Blu Ray.

Next you can import that MOV into Encore as an asset, and Encore will accept it and encode it for you in the background. If you must use Compressor, I believe it comes with "H.264 Blu Ray Compatible" presets to start you off that you can tweak to overcome whatever problems you have with Encore's encode. You'll need to read up on the Blu Ray spec, because it can be a little finicky.

Cajunbubba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Well as a Test

Well as my first test I exported the Prores 59.94 1080p sequence from FCP 7 as a standalone using these current settings. Took the File into Toast 11 and burned a Blu Ray. I t worked and played. I will keep playing with other methods and compare results and maybe write a paper as there seems to be missing documentation for various workflows.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Well as my first test I exported the Prores 59.94 1080p sequence from FCP 7 as a standalone using these current settings. Took the File into Toast 11 and burned a Blu Ray. I t worked and played. I will keep playing with other methods and compare results and maybe write a paper as there seems to be missing documentation for various workflows.

The thing is, Blu Ray is not defined for 59.94 fps at 1080p. You're either producing a 720p disc at 59.94fps, or a 1080p disc at a framerate converted to 29.97. While it worked for you this time (which is good to hear!), generally these ambigious conversions can cause undesired results that are hard to track down if you don't know exactly what's going on.

Cajunbubba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
It worked

I also took the FCP output at 1080p 59.97 fps and took all 38 minutes to Handbrake and made a 1080p at 30fps using the preset Apple TV3. This came out great on the Apple TV 2nd generation that now plays 1080p.

So you say I can produce undesirable results unless I convert to 29.98 or 30 fps first. So that I and others can learn how do we take the FCP 7 sequence that is edited in 1080p and 59.97 and export it properly? What are the steps?
:):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.