Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
So I've been converting videos via handbrake and this latest issue has really stumped me.

I converted the video (flv) to m4v via Handbrake, and added it to my iTunes, etc. I can hear this static noise too. I think it could be because its a YouTube video, but when I play on my computer or ipad, it doesn't occur, everything plays perfectly. Other videos that I ripped play and sound fine though.

Furthermore, it lags a bit too. I mean, when I hit the pause button, a few more words or sounds plays for a few seconds. I thought it could be air video server interfering or my CPU (since I was in the process of encoding more vids), but even with both of those not running, the same thing happens.

I have the ATV 3, running on 802.11n. My Internet is fast too, so I can't figure out the cause.

----------

Well I figured it out. I had to turn off Dolby on my ATV. is there a significant difference with Dolby on or off?

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
My Internet is fast too, so I can't figure out the cause

your internet speed has nothing to do with the speed of what's on your network. only what you get from outside.

Well I figured it out. I had to turn off Dolby on my ATV. is there a significant difference with Dolby on or off?

if you don't have 5.1 surround sound, you don't need Dolby surround. the noise you were hearing was the encoded audio, some TVs will handle this, some won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.