Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I got recently a new cMBP 13" summer 2012 Intel Core i5 laptop and even though I am not a gamer by any means I was intrigued by these two games: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic & Civilization V on the Mac App Store. Now my model doesn't have a dedicated graphics card installed but I wanted to know if anyone can confirm me that these games can run at acceptable performance on my mac model ? Thanks. Problem is,concerning Star Wars, that even though integrated graphics from Intel aren't supported on some places people say that it's running fine for them and someplace it says it can run on Intel HD 3000 (mine is 4000) so what/who can I believe concerning this?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
For Kotor, you will have to use bootcamp. Civ V should run on low/medium, though you may run into problems in the late game.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
KOTOR is such an old game... the top of the line graphics cards back then that ran it good are worse than the current Intel HD 3000 and 4000 graphics. They can handle it no problems at all.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
KOTOR is such an old game... the top of the line graphics cards back then that ran it good are worse than the current Intel HD 3000 and 4000 graphics. They can handle it no problems at all.

Whoops, I was thinking of TOR, not KOTOR!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Whoops, I was thinking of TOR, not KOTOR!

I played TOR the first month after the launch, so performance might be better now, but my desktop did suffer framerate drops below 60 at high settings. THe VRAM usage was actually thru the roof too, peaking near 1GB, which is like almost twice of what much better looking games like Deus EX:HR and Skyrim did.

TOR does have a free to play option now, so you can always download and try.

CIv 5 is a real hog in huge games, and even on pretty good machines you'll get FPS drops in late games. I played a 20 hour long multiplayer game on the largest map and in the end it did even bring FPS quite a bit down on both my system and my friends, the one with the best machine, GTX570 and i7-2700k did see as low as 30 FPS in the end.

On smaller maps and playing regular games this won't be that much of an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.