PDA

View Full Version : How Apple Does It - TIME looks inside the world's most inno...

MacBytes
Oct 17, 2005, 09:11 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: How Apple Does It - TIME looks inside the world's most innovative company (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051017101151)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lacero
Oct 17, 2005, 09:16 AM
http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2005/0510/jobs_ep.jpg

Is that Apple headquarters? Cool. :D Nice this story hits a week before the newsstands.

Chaszmyr
Oct 17, 2005, 09:21 AM

Is that Apple headquarters? Cool. :D Nice this story hits a week before the newsstands.

That photo is awesome

nsb3000
Oct 17, 2005, 09:26 AM
Just so your guys know, you can read the full text over at timecanada.com (http://timecanada.com/story.adp?storyid=005).

Mudbug
Oct 17, 2005, 09:28 AM
That photo is awesome

but what's interesting to me is the relative absense of computers in the shot. There's a PowerBook on the desk, and a G4 iMac in what looks to be the closet off to the side, and none others. Just seems to me there would be a few more computers at the core office of a computer company.

iMeowbot
Oct 17, 2005, 09:30 AM
I think the full story gets opened up to non-subscribers a little later in the week. Meanwhile, it would be a good read in the supermarket checkout or dentist office if you don't normally buy it.

One cute bit:
When he generously introduces you to the guy who runs Apple's iTunes development team, Jobs makes it clear that you're welcome to meet him but you can't print his name. Jobs doesn't want competitors poaching his talent. "You can mention his first name but not his last name," Jobs says. "How's that?" It'll have to do. The guy's name, by the way, is Jeff.
It kind of shows how silly Apple can get about these things, since it's pretty well known that Jeff Robbin is behind iTunes and SoundJam.

micvog
Oct 17, 2005, 09:45 AM
Just so your guys know, you can read the full text over at timecanada.com (http://timecanada.com/story.adp?storyid=005).

Thanks! Saved me a few minutes at a news-stand.

BTW, is that an official Time Magazine site? I couldn't believe the number of typos and formatting errors.

jMc
Oct 17, 2005, 10:00 AM
Anyone know what the red thing in the black box is next to Schiller's right hand?

jx

skymaXimus
Oct 17, 2005, 10:06 AM
Anyone know what the red thing in the black box is next to Schiller's right hand?

jx

Looks like iPod socks.

MrSugar
Oct 17, 2005, 10:12 AM
In order to get the full version of the article I entered my old high school address. Since I know most school's have a subscription to Time, anyway it signed me in right away.

Good read, interesting how much control Steve still has.

Laslo Panaflex
Oct 17, 2005, 10:12 AM

jx

Nano Tubes.

Deepdale
Oct 17, 2005, 10:31 AM
Love the photo as well ... it makes you feel the creative energy and ideas that flow from that high-powered inner circle.

Sharewaredemon
Oct 17, 2005, 11:03 AM
Love the photo as well ... it makes you feel the creative energy and ideas that flow from that high-powered inner circle.

It's so cute!

They look like friends!

nagromme
Oct 17, 2005, 11:11 AM
Good ol' Time Canada. Thanks for the link.

And THIS is why Windows PC's can't catch up the Mac, not now, not likely ever:

There aren’t discrete, sequential development stages. Instead, it’s simultaneous and organic. Products get worked on in parallel by all departments at once—design, hardware, software—in endless rounds of interdisciplinary design reviews. Managers elsewhere boast about how little time they waste in meetings; Apple is big on them and proud of it. “The historical way of developing products just doesn’t work when you’re as ambitious as we are,” says Ive, an affable, bearlike Brit. “When the challenges are that complex, you have to develop a product in a more collaborative, integrated way."

Stridder44
Oct 17, 2005, 11:35 AM
:eek:

I get it!

Im in. How can I work for Apple?

LimeiBook86
Oct 17, 2005, 11:54 AM
It's so cute!

They look like friends!
Yeah they seem all friendly now, just wait until Jobs gets angry j/k hahah ;) :p

nsb3000
Oct 17, 2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks! Saved me a few minutes at a news-stand.

BTW, is that an official Time Magazine site? I couldn't believe the number of typos and formatting errors.

Yes, it is an official Time site, it is just the site for their Canadian distribution. It is largely the same magazine, with a few Canada specific stories thrown in from time to time presumably. And, if you recall, has a history of releasing things sooner than their US counterpart, as they did infamously the night before Steve Jobes introduced the original flat panel iMac back in 2002. (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/01/20020106230248.shtml)

Deepdale
Oct 17, 2005, 12:30 PM
It's so cute! They look like friends!

Absolutely ... now the burning question is if they can pose for such a picture in their pressurized environment, why can't some relatives pretend to be one-tenth as cordial when gathered around the table at holiday dinners? :)

XNine
Oct 17, 2005, 12:43 PM
I think the full story gets opened up to non-subscribers a little later in the week. Meanwhile, it would be a good read in the supermarket checkout or dentist office if you don't normally buy it.

One cute bit:

It kind of shows how silly Apple can get about these things, since it's pretty well known that Jeff Robbin is behind iTunes and SoundJam.

MWA HAHAHAHA! Thank you for posting his name. I have been looking for it everywhere and now I know who I have to get in order to put iTunes down the hole, when I release my Operating System: P-OS. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.mspx)

:D

winmacguy
Oct 17, 2005, 12:50 PM
Never mind winning the lottery, it would be amazing to sit in on a design discussion with Ives :) :cool:

AtHomeBoy_2000
Oct 17, 2005, 02:14 PM
Steve Jobs:
"There is no market today for portable video," he says. "We're going to sell millions of these to people who want to play their music, and video is going to come along for the ride. Anyone who wants to put out video content will put it out for this. And we'll find out what happens."

That's a very smart way to go about it. if they dont think that video players will be popular, you give the market a little and see how well it goes. It if becomes VERY popular, you take a few more steps.

mdriftmeyer
Oct 17, 2005, 02:17 PM

Yes. It's been revamped however. That is much more reminiscient of NeXT headquarters where everything was very open door policy and intercollaboration.

Everything he discusses are processes we did at NeXT before we merged with Apple.

Unfortunately, second from the left, Jon Rubenstei, is retiring.

ipacmm
Oct 17, 2005, 02:19 PM
Cool article and picture.

lcde
Oct 17, 2005, 02:23 PM
Products get worked on in parallel by all departments at once—design, hardware, software—in endless rounds of interdisciplinary design reviews.

This is why i don't think development has slowed for the Powerbook like previously rumored.

BornAgainMac
Oct 17, 2005, 02:25 PM
I expected tons of analysis from those photos. Perhaps you might see a reflection of a new iBook in the background or you can see detailed info from the printouts. Is that a black Intel-Mini on the table? Asteriod?

Epicurus
Oct 17, 2005, 02:25 PM
That's a very smart way to go about it. if they dont think that video players will be popular, you give the market a little and see how well it goes. It if becomes VERY popular, you take a few more steps.

I like the "iPod (with video)" approach Apple is taking over the "Video iPod" option. Its like fishing. Apple has a shiny lure in the iPod, which will sell to millions of people over the next year. Once the user base is installed and Apple has some market research in hand (like 90% market share in video handhelds), then they can reel in the big networks and movie studios. Genius.

Peace
Oct 17, 2005, 02:32 PM
Doesn't the guy sitting down next to Jobs look like a Jobs mini-me? :p

Windowlicker
Oct 17, 2005, 02:33 PM
It was a pretty nice article. However, somehow I got the feeling that it's an ad. Probably wasn't meant to be, but you could see the guy who wrote it likes apple or at least doesn't dislike it.

Jay42
Oct 17, 2005, 02:35 PM
Just got the magazine today. I would love to see some of those drawings with the next big redesign of the PowerBook on it! Seems like its been refined so much, looking forward to where its headed next! Also, Phils PowerBook isn't on.

To everyone talking about the lack of cool stuff in the photo, knowing Apple, they probably cleared everything out since I'm sure they were aware that they were being photographed.

corywoolf
Oct 17, 2005, 02:39 PM
I expected tons of analysis from those photos. Perhaps you might see a reflection of a new iBook in the background or you can see detailed info from the printouts. Is that a black Intel-Mini on the table? Asteriod?

That'd be a nano box. Everything laid out has to do with the nano.

~Shard~
Oct 17, 2005, 02:42 PM
Great news, I'll have to pick up this edition! Reading it online is fine, but having an actual copy is always nice too... :)

Good timing, what with the event on Wednesday as well... :cool:

kevinuaa
Oct 17, 2005, 02:45 PM
total puff piece. i didn't know puppy dogs could write.
the writer had best whipe his mouth clean after ...well, i shouldn't say.

PharmD
Oct 17, 2005, 02:49 PM
Interesting how Jobs still stands by the "no market for video" opinion. Hope we prove him wrong!

nagromme
Oct 17, 2005, 02:49 PM
It was a pretty nice article. However, somehow I got the feeling that it's an ad. Probably wasn't meant to be, but you could see the guy who wrote it likes apple or at least doesn't dislike it.
Have you seen the cover :D

It may not be an ad but it sure does the job of one.

(As is often the case in American "news"--aka infotainment--media.)

csubear
Oct 17, 2005, 03:02 PM
I so want to work for apple some day. Their workflow sounds amazing.

ryanyogan
Oct 17, 2005, 03:09 PM
Innovative yes, however if you are a Software/Electrical engineer and you work for Apple... I can only imagine nights at the office till midnight and dead lines that stress you out all month just to find out next month you have a new crazy dead line. This is how the world works as an engineer however, one would assume at Apple it is a little more hectic. On the other hand I am sure it is very rewarding working for a company that actually cares about design and function, one thing about windows and many developers I have is they just don't know what looks good. They think ugly is fine and push out crappy stuff, I hate that, I like to admire products I am a huge geek I know!

Epicurus
Oct 17, 2005, 03:11 PM
Have you seen the cover :D

It may not be an ad but it sure does the job of one.

(As is often the case in American "news"--aka infotainment--media.)

They've got the new iMac and the new iPod (they called it the "video iPod")...
:rolleyes:

winmacguy
Oct 17, 2005, 03:12 PM
Doesn't the guy sitting down next to Jobs look like a Jobs mini-me? :p
It's probably because "that guy" sitting next to his Steveness is Ive :rolleyes: ;)

_bnkr612
Oct 17, 2005, 03:13 PM
Apple had me at $299.

Object-X
Oct 17, 2005, 03:14 PM
I want to work there.

Jay42
Oct 17, 2005, 03:15 PM
LOL, true.

My dad was (and still is actually) an engieneer in a different field and was always taking work home with him. Definitely remember him pulling a few all nighters around deadlines when I was a kid. Not to say that an all nighter working on Apple stuff would be that bad ;) .

qzak
Oct 17, 2005, 03:16 PM
yeah i'm in school for visual communication design right now, i would looove to work for Apple's graphic design/advertising department someday

rockthecasbah
Oct 17, 2005, 03:16 PM
I want to work there.
you and everyone else here (except for those silly windows lovers that were here for a few days) :)

Object-X
Oct 17, 2005, 03:24 PM
you and everyone else here (except for those silly windows lovers that were here for a few days) :)

Yes, but I have a plan. ;)

iEric
Oct 17, 2005, 03:35 PM
When will Steve retire that old black shirt look?

MacFan782040
Oct 17, 2005, 03:37 PM
That's a pretty kick ass article

winmacguy
Oct 17, 2005, 03:45 PM
That's a pretty kick ass article
Yeah, and the pic is not tooo bad either :)

Josh396
Oct 17, 2005, 03:50 PM
When will Steve retire that old black shirt look?
I don't think he will ever retire it.

Jetson
Oct 17, 2005, 03:53 PM

Frankly, I'm happy to finally see a lot of good positive articles about Apple Computer. After the decade of the '90s when the media made Apple-bashing a sport, this is a nice and well-deserved change. :D

budugu
Oct 17, 2005, 03:54 PM

The article looks like it was written by apple marketing department than any one else!

Example of stupid over reaching! "Apple has shipped three impressive new products: an ultra-tiny iPod called the nano, the video iPod and a nifty feature called Front Row that lets you run your computer from across the room, lying on a sofa, clicker in hand, without crouching over a keyboard. That is cool stuff. So, where does it all come from?" The last one totally stupid. It is just a blantant rip off 20 different versions of media center software produced. and does much less than that! I could not believe apple was bragging about that ... now in time? WTF.

"Jobs says.The innovation can’t happen fast enough", It sad hearing this from him... apple is the LAST company to embark on any new technology that is arround. Processors, PCI-E, faster rams DDR2, USB2.0, modular designs (every laptop except the *books can be easily replaced with components! ever try removing harddrive/optical drive from a *book, from IBM to Dell laptops it takes 1 screw! and T's are smaller and lighter than *books ) All that matters to apple is beauty first and Industrial design next.

Apple is sort of positions itself in no mans land and claims that no body can match their products. In fact they very well know that no body big (dell/HP etc) would like to compete in those niche markets. Apple as itself will not be able to compete with any one in the same market segment. Apple atleast at the computers levels works on human psychology. I will buy some thing the guy next to me cannot afford.

When Mercedes Benz wanted to launch a car in india they conducted a huge survey from people as to what price point they would like to buy MB? 1 million Rupees, 1.5, 2, 3, 5? (the a good sedan costs 1million /0.5 is the entry price) i for get the exact break up but over 45% said they would only buy it at 3! thus the first MB car to be introduced in India was E2/350. Which just below their highest 'S' class. yes it is going to have a feature or two different from the other cars but at what price. It is well known that a certain set of people will be ready to pay more if the other guy cannot have it!

if developing every thing by themselves was that important then why not have their own chip designs, fabs, plastics, and very thing else. that way they will innovate extremely fast!!

runninmac
Oct 17, 2005, 03:56 PM
Wow that article just made my day! :D

cxny
Oct 17, 2005, 03:57 PM
Go Steve!

How long until the iCar?
(Swatch did one already but I think Apple could do it better)

camomac
Oct 17, 2005, 04:08 PM
He doesn’t even have a college degree. (He dropped out of Reed College after one semester.)

as in Reed College, Oregon! that is awesome. Reed is a great school in my back yard. cool!!

Arcus
Oct 17, 2005, 04:17 PM
"There is no market today for portable video," he says. "We're going to sell millions of these to people who want to play their music, and video is going to come along for the ride. Anyone who wants to put out video content will put it out for this. And we'll find out what happens."

This is why I love apple.

fklehman
Oct 17, 2005, 04:33 PM
How Apple does it: Steve stands behind everyone wielding the 1984 sledgehammer in one hand and a really, really big whip in the other. :D

freeny
Oct 17, 2005, 04:34 PM

just picked up a copy an hour ago. what do you mean a week before the newsstands?? it's available right now.

Epicurus
Oct 17, 2005, 04:41 PM
The product now is the iTunes Music Store and iTunes and the iPod and the software that goes on the iPod. A lot of companies don't really have control, or they can't really work in a collaborative way to truly make a system. We're really about a system.

This sounds an awful lot like the way Intel is now talking about "platforms". Maybe Apple went to Intel in part because of each other's desire to control not just one aspect of the computer, but whole systems/platforms. Intel will provide the core hardware technology/system architecture, developed all together as one platform solution while Apple provides the soul/design/core software, also developed as a complete solution. A nice pair. :)

radio893fm
Oct 17, 2005, 04:48 PM
Ohhh Steve... so arrogant, so intelligent, so human!!!

He said that there was not a market for a video ipod a couple months ago and now is trying to justify what he said with some BS and still says there is no market for video in a mobile device... jajajaj.... has he seen the sales of the UMD movies for the PSP? ... thank God, he realized his mistake soon enuff and now got into the wagon...

musiclover137
Oct 17, 2005, 04:50 PM
if developing every thing by themselves was that important then why not have their own chip designs, fabs, plastics, and very thing else. that way they will innovate extremely fast!!
I don't think that's what they're about.

A lot of people will probably disagree with me but ultimately, I don't think processors speeds, ram and the technical stuff decides what Apple can or cannot do. They take the materials they need and make great products/software to utilize every ounce of product-ability it has. That is why I can use my 1st gen. iMac in my basement when I need to, or use my old black powerbook if I need to.

That's just what I think. Apple seems to just go with the flow of things, instead getting hung up on details.

We may be pissed we didn't get that USB 2.0 soon enough, but you have to remember that even though their products can be used for long time, it doesn't mean they aren't trying to sell new ones. By controlling both sides (hardware/software) they force us to buy new macs more often.

I'm not complaining...

SummerBreeze
Oct 17, 2005, 04:51 PM
Great article. I think Steve's right, there is no market for video, but there will be now that Apple has gone about trying to create one.

dongmin
Oct 17, 2005, 04:56 PM

He said that there was not a market for a video ipod a couple months ago and now is trying to justify what he said with some BS and still says there is no market for video in a mobile device... jajajaj.... has he seen the sales of the UMD movies for the PSP? ... thank God, he realized his mistake soon enuff and now got into the wagon...So UMDs are selling big? Got a link?

Bengt77
Oct 17, 2005, 04:57 PM
just picked up a copy an hour ago. what do you mean a week before the newsstands?? it's available right now.
Oooooh! Could you take that office photo then and put up a high resolution scan of it in a new post? I'd love to have it filling up my desktop. Would be way cool...

If you will, thanks! :D

mac-er
Oct 17, 2005, 05:22 PM
The last one totally stupid. It is just a blantant rip off 20 different versions of media center software produced. and does much less than that! I could not believe apple was bragging about that ... now in time? WTF.

They just improved and simplified the Media Center PC UI.

"Jobs says.The innovation can’t happen fast enough", It sad hearing this from him... apple is the LAST company to embark on any new technology that is arround. Processors, PCI-E, faster rams DDR2, USB2.0, modular designs

Sure. They just introduced the GUI to the mass market, introduced the mouse to the mass market, made the first successful mp3 player, first to use the 3" floppy drives and standardize the 3.5" floppy, first to pull the floppy out across the board, introduced FireWire, first to make legal digital music distribution successful, one of the first companies to intro a PDA, one of the first companies to intro a digital camera....sure, you're right, they don't innovate.

Pyrix
Oct 17, 2005, 05:27 PM

He said that there was not a market for a video ipod a couple months ago and now is trying to justify what he said with some BS and still says there is no market for video in a mobile device... jajajaj.... has he seen the sales of the UMD movies for the PSP? ... thank God, he realized his mistake soon enuff and now got into the wagon...

I don't think Jobs changed his mind. I think he probably just realised that if they didn't add video, he'd have to put up with gimmick loving windows guys using it as an excuse to knock apple (HA! My cheap media player does video - can your iPod?) and rumour site fanboys complaining that the ipod is falling behind (why won't they add video to the iPod!? OMG H4X0rz I need the V1D30!!!!).

Apple know that the consumer doesn't know the difference between a feature they should look for because they need it, and a feature they look for because they think they need it (everything else has it!)

solvs
Oct 17, 2005, 05:51 PM
that way they will innovate extremely fast!!
So then, you don't actually know what innovate means?

Throwing whatever's out there into a box and calling it innovation because it's the latest thing is not what Apple's about.

manu chao
Oct 17, 2005, 05:53 PM

Who is the guy at left?

bretm
Oct 17, 2005, 06:18 PM
I want to work there.

That's where you and Jobs differ. Don't aspire to work for someone and what they've created. Aspire to create, own or run the next innovative company.

I work for myself. My aspirations have evolved from what company can I work for to my own identity of what can I create? What legacy can I leave? Sure Jobs needs people to work for him. And it might be neat to work there. But if your aspiration is to work somewhere, then that's probably going to be a horrible environment to work. Jobs himself practically said it. The article said it. Go watch Silicon Valley. I'd like to be in Jobs position. I sure wouldn't want to work for him.

nagromme
Oct 17, 2005, 06:39 PM
"Jobs says.The innovation can’t happen fast enough", It sad hearing this from him... apple is the LAST company to embark on any new technology that is arround.
Not the best trollin' around ;)

Can't think of technologies that Apple pushed into early? Try Wi-Fi, USB, Bluetooth, CD-ROM drives, 3.5" floppies, getting RID of 3.5" floppies ;) , Superdrives, ZeroConf, Firewire, FW800, lighted keys, built-in networking, trackpads, motion-sensors that protect a standard HD, online music sales, easy-access desktop internals, and, well... mice and the very concept of a GUI.

In fact, Apple's often the tail that wags the dog pulling OTHER companies (Microsoft and PC makers) into adopting something new instead of sitting still. Anyone think Wi-Fi would have caught on as quickly if Apple hadn't made it standard on the iBook years ago?

Oh, well, so much for Apple always being last :)

Also, BTW, "innovation" generally doesn't refer to choosing which already-existing solutions to accept and when. It refers to creating new solutions.

Object-X
Oct 17, 2005, 06:53 PM
That's where you and Jobs differ. Don't aspire to work for someone and what they've created. Aspire to create, own or run the next innovative company.

I work for myself. My aspirations have evolved from what company can I work for to my own identity of what can I create? What legacy can I leave? Sure Jobs needs people to work for him. And it might be neat to work there. But if your aspiration is to work somewhere, then that's probably going to be a horrible environment to work. Jobs himself practically said it. The article said it. Go watch Silicon Valley. I'd like to be in Jobs position. I sure wouldn't want to work for him.

Interesting point you make, but I would add two thoughts. First, the tech field is littered with wannabe tech moguls who's great innovations crashed and burned or simply went nowhere. So, to come up with the next great thing for the "new wave" would be nice, but will only happen for very few. So, your point to want to be an innovator is well taken, but unrealistic even if you have a great idea. It often takes as much luck as skill. So, your best bet is to start something innovative and hope a giant tech company like Apple will come along and buy you out, thus validating your ideas and making you extremely wealthy at the same time. Then there is other approach. Get hired at a company like Apple where the center of gravity of innovation is already in full swing, work your way up the chain and observe how it is done, and then leave with your new found experiance and apply what you learned. I've seen a lot of x-Apple folks start their own thing and be quite successful; this is in no small part due to their experience at Apple. So, you have two options: one, start something and have an Apple come looking for you (preferable), or get the right skills and get hired by an Apple because they need you. Either way, I think most techie folks that love Apple would love the oppertunity to see what goes on behind the scenes and be a part of history in the making. It certainly wouldn't hurt your resume.

sjk
Oct 17, 2005, 07:00 PM
I expected tons of analysis from those photos.Not that it's particularly interesting but Get Info shows the Device make as Hasselblad/Imacon and Device model as Ixpress 132C - Hasselblad H1 for the photo posted here.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Oct 17, 2005, 07:03 PM
I like the "iPod (with video)" approach Apple is taking over the "Video iPod" option. Its like fishing. Apple has a shiny lure in the iPod, which will sell to millions of people over the next year. Once the user base is installed and Apple has some market research in hand (like 90% market share in video handhelds), then they can reel in the big networks and movie studios. Genius.

EXACTLY right. Then and ONLY then will a video specific iPod be released (if at all)

eric_n_dfw
Oct 17, 2005, 07:11 PM
I often think I'd love to work for Apple - except that almost all of their software engineering jobs are in California. (nothing against CA, but I've goot roots where I am now.)

Oh well!

Fabio_gsilva
Oct 17, 2005, 07:16 PM
SJ insists that video iPod is not an awesome idea... At least he did not changed his mind...

He appears to be stubborn...

chewbaccapits
Oct 17, 2005, 07:19 PM
"Jobs also places emphasis on control. Through controlling the hardware and software, integration can be more seamless. This also reduces your dependance on third party companies. The iPod, iTunes, iTunes Music store is an example of this control and integration."

Ok...but if no one made content for the viPod wouldn't that mean Apple is literally at the mercy of the tv/movie studios...Yes???

oskar
Oct 17, 2005, 07:23 PM
Apple HQ:
Shhh! You're not supposed to say that name! Someone might hear you. :eek: HE knows everything.

winmacguy
Oct 17, 2005, 07:41 PM
Who is the guy at left?
The Core: The Apple team, from left: engineering vice president Fadell, iPod head Jon Rubinstein, industrial design chief Ive, CEO Jobs and marketing director Philip Schiller
(I think his name is John Fadell- but some one could correct me if I am wrong)

eric_n_dfw
Oct 17, 2005, 08:09 PM
So UMDs are selling big? Got a link?
I agree with Steve Job's earlier statements about the screen being to small to watch video on, but actually, according to TomsHardware.com, UMDs are selling pretty well: http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/08/31/9_million_psp_games/index.html
Sony estimates that they have already sold 9 million games on UMD and 8.2 million movies. Current manufacturing lines are stretched to the max - Bob Hurley, with Sony DADC, says that Sony is churning out 200,000 UMDs a day and future capacity is expected to be 500,000 per day.

I'm in the camp that says it's a waste to try to watch a video of any length on even the PSP's beautiful screen, much less on the iPod's. But, apparently, there are 8.2 million people out there that disagree. The article goes on to say that Sony thinks movies to become 60% of their UMD production. We'll see...

dr_lha
Oct 17, 2005, 08:39 PM

Can't think of technologies that Apple pushed into early? Try ... motion-sensors that protect a standard HD ...

Agree with most of what you say here, but Apple didn't innovate HD motion sensors, IBM did with the Thinkpad that had them 6-12 months before the PB did.

aswitcher
Oct 17, 2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the Candian Time link.

A bit fluffy but nice.

p0intblank
Oct 17, 2005, 09:54 PM
Jobs gets even more fame. :D And very nice photo by the way. It is now relaxing safely on my hard drive. :p

delton05
Oct 17, 2005, 09:57 PM
A very staged photo, as are all such photos, so why no token female???

budugu
Oct 17, 2005, 10:00 PM

USB - done by Compaq / Intel largely (infact apple was the last to get on USB2 spec)
3.5" Floppy - Sony ( first in HP machine)
Bluetooth - was developed by Ericsson (labs)
Motion sensing HDs - Introduced by IBM long before apple
Zeroconf - was an implementation of the IETF standard ... even MSFT had one etc (before embarking on a larger spec with intel on UPnP)

and so on

chabig
Oct 17, 2005, 10:39 PM
Zeroconf - was an implementation of the IETF standard ...
I think you have it backward. The IETF standard was based on Apple's work. And of all things to leave out, nobody has mentioned Desktop Publishing and Laserwriters!

mac-er
Oct 17, 2005, 10:46 PM

Apple was the one that pushed the standard.

Things changed dramatically in 1984 when Apple Computer selected the Sony 90.0 × 94.0 mm format for their Macintosh computers, thereby forcing it to become the standard format in the United States.

iAlan
Oct 17, 2005, 11:07 PM
The October 24th Time Magazine issue features Steve Jobs on the Cover holding a Video iPod and an iMac with the words "What's Next".
I don't want to nit-pick but the new iPod is not a Video iPod. I know, it is easy to call it such to differentiate it from the other iPod's, but even Apple does not refer to it as a Video iPod

Straight from the mouth of the master...

nagromme
Oct 17, 2005, 11:31 PM
Agree with most of what you say here, but Apple didn't innovate HD motion sensors, IBM did with the Thinkpad that had them 6-12 months before the PB did.
Except, if I understant correctly, IBM made special DRIVES with sensors, while Apple's system is built into the laptop, able to protect ANY drive. Lower cost, more flexible.

USB - done by Compaq / Intel largely (infact apple was the last to get on USB2 spec)
Bluetooth - was developed by Ericsson (labs)
Motion sensing HDs - Introduced by IBM long before apple
Zeroconf - was an implementation of the IETF standard ... even MSFT had one etc (before embarking on a larger spec with intel on UPnP)

and so on
I said that Apple moved early on those things I listed. Only SOME of them did they themselves create. (I was responding to the person who said Apple is the last to adopt any new technologies.) Yes, Apple isn't ALWAYS early, but they are far from always late. They didn't rush into USB 2, but they DID move to using USB as their standard long before the rest of the industry.

musiclover137
Oct 17, 2005, 11:43 PM
I don't want to nit-pick but the new iPod is not a Video iPod. I know, it is easy to call it such to differentiate it from the other iPod's, but even Apple does not refer to it as a Video iPod

Straight from the mouth of the master...
i think everyone knows that. do we really need more battles on semantics?

revjay
Oct 18, 2005, 12:08 AM

My dog likes to lick people in the face...I'm sure that's what you were referring to...

I do agree with your premise. I kept looking for some fine print in the margins reading: *advertisement*, but I could not find such words anywhere.

I guess Lev Grossman and all members of his extended family are now sitting on their respective couches pressing their Front Row "clicker" which mysteriously arrived at their door (imac enclosed as well) this morning. :rolleyes:

Good press, though.

Goliath
Oct 18, 2005, 12:09 AM
Sometimes a product is greater than the sum of it's parts- in general this applies to a lot of Apple's products!

The Mac mini wasn't the first compact desktop computer- but is certainly the most attractively packaged and the level of engineering and detail is amazing!

I've yet to see a comparable Wintel PC that is just physically bigger than a CD case and for it to even match the Mac mini for design and integration!

Same goes for the iPod and the new Nano- nothing really innovative about them regarding the parts they use- but show me another manufacturer that has produced something better in terms of style and functionality using the same parts.

Give me a steak, potatoes, and veg and I'll cook you steak with mash and veg!

Give those same ingredients to Gordon Ramsay and.... he'll tell you to f@*k off but will produce an amazing dish!

Apple, I guess, is the gourmet restaurant of the computer world; Dell the McDonalds......

winmacguy
Oct 18, 2005, 12:43 AM
Sometimes a product is greater than the sum of it's parts- in general this applies to a lot of Apple's products!

Give me a steak, potatoes, and veg and I'll cook you steak with mash and veg!

Give those same ingredients to Gordon Ramsay and.... he'll tell you to f@*k off but will produce an amazing dish!

Apple, I guess, is the gourmet restaurant of the computer world; Dell the McDonalds......
LMFAO!!!! :p :)
Hell's Kitchen (Gordon Ramsay's show) is currently screening in NZ. Gordon has some of our top New Zealand chefs creating some mouth watering delights in some of his top London eateries.

iluvmacs
Oct 18, 2005, 01:48 AM
The Core: The Apple team, from left: engineering vice president Fadell, iPod head Jon Rubinstein, industrial design chief Ive, CEO Jobs and marketing director Philip Schiller
(I think his name is John Fadell- but some one could correct me if I am wrong)

It's Tony.

PS: This photo was taken in the ID studio. The computer off to the right in the closet runs iTunes over the studio sound system...all sorts of interesting music. The machines in the background behind the glass wall are CNC machines used to cut ID models.

Bengt77
Oct 18, 2005, 03:08 AM
So, anyone willing to scan the photo (assuming it's also in the print mag) and put a high resolution image online here for us all to enjoy?

Thanks!

Chrispy
Oct 18, 2005, 03:12 AM
So, anyone willing to scan the photo (assuming it's also in the print mag) and put a high resolution image online here for us all to enjoy?

Thanks!

I just bought the mag so I will scan it now :)

Ok done!

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6522/jobsphoto6ap.th.jpg (http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jobsphoto6ap.jpg)

There are more cool pics but if you want those go get the magazine haha ;)

aswitcher
Oct 18, 2005, 04:42 AM

Ok done!

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6522/jobsphoto6ap.th.jpg (http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jobsphoto6ap.jpg)

Thanks.

kirk26
Oct 18, 2005, 06:41 AM
Jobs gets even more fame. :D And very nice photo by the way. It is now relaxing safely on my hard drive. :p

That doesn't sound right..... :eek:

ShavenYak
Oct 18, 2005, 08:13 AM

Ok done!

When I click on the link, there are four ads for hair transplant companies at the bottom of the screen. Coincidence? Or is there some advertising program capable of detecting balding guys in images?

Lacero
Oct 18, 2005, 09:08 AM
Nice! Those are iPod socks next to Phil. What's in the background? It looks like a custom milling room. Do you suppose Apple uses that to build prototypes?

Bengt77
Oct 18, 2005, 10:15 AM

Ok done!

Very nice! Thank you very much. And, let me repeat it again, it's a very cool photo indeed.

El Pro
Oct 18, 2005, 11:35 AM
:D I really think that Steve has something to do with the title!!! "WHAT'S NEXT" in capital blue on a black background... I can see it in his smile!!!

kenaustus
Oct 18, 2005, 11:38 AM
The interesting part of the story is how the folks in various departments work together on a project - how many CEOs are going to read this and call a meeting to talk about it? Might scare the hell out of the VPs that love their little kingdom.

Apple is on a roll and the article gives a pretty good indication why it is. The funny part is that there is nothing MS, Dell, etc. can do to catch up.

pohl
Oct 18, 2005, 11:55 AM
Example of stupid over reaching! "Apple has shipped three impressive new products: an ultra-tiny iPod called the nano, the video iPod and a nifty feature called Front Row that lets you run your computer from across the room, lying on a sofa, clicker in hand, without crouching over a keyboard. That is cool stuff. So, where does it all come from?" The last one totally stupid. It is just a blantant rip off 20 different versions of media center software produced. and does much less than that!

Sometimes less is more...

http://screaming.org/images/UIElegance.jpg

peterli
Oct 18, 2005, 12:20 PM

I think it is a marketing strategy. This way Apple can sell the iPods to all the ipod fans and those would-be-fans-if-ipod-supports-video-too.

mac-er
Oct 18, 2005, 01:47 PM
but what's interesting to me is the relative absense of computers in the shot. There's a PowerBook on the desk, and a G4 iMac in what looks to be the closet off to the side, and none others. Just seems to me there would be a few more computers at the core office of a computer company.

Hard to see in that little pic, but in the actual magazine, the photograph is huge.

Those aren't cubicles in the background. It appears to be some type of manufacturing equipment...kind of looks like engravers.

Lacero
Oct 18, 2005, 01:48 PM
It appears to be some type of manufacturing equipment...kind of looks like engravers.Do you suppose Job does the engravings himself when he's not in power meetings or giving Keynotes? :D

mac-er
Oct 18, 2005, 02:13 PM
Do you suppose Job does the engravings himself when he's not in power meetings or giving Keynotes? :D

That makes me laugh, imagining him having to engrave all the iPods.

karabunga
Oct 18, 2005, 02:51 PM
Don't know about you guys, but i loved this quote...

If you smooshed together Microsoft, Dell and Sony into one company, you would have something like the diversity of the Apple technological biosphere.

chewbaccapits
Oct 18, 2005, 03:38 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051017/en_nm/apple_dc;_ylt=ArcPFL0b_TaICNEInl75aTVxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Like I was saying yesterday....Apple has made themselves vulnerable to the studios with this one..I mean, couldn't they (apple) have had more studios on board from the get go???

lcde
Oct 18, 2005, 04:12 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051017/en_nm/apple_dc;_ylt=ArcPFL0b_TaICNEInl75aTVxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Like I was saying yesterday....Apple has made themselves vulnerable to the studios with this one..I mean, couldn't they (apple) have had more studios on board from the get go???

I don't have the quote but paraphrased from jobs {about the ipod} "People bitched about video, we are in it for the music but people wouldn't shut up. Here's your video. Now can we get back to the music?"

EDIT
Non-paraphrased FTA: “There is no market today for portable video,” he says. “We’re going to sell millions of these to people who want to play their music, and video is going to come along for the ride. Anyone who wants to put out video content will put it out for this. And we’ll find out what happens.”

radio893fm
Oct 18, 2005, 04:35 PM
If you smooshed together Microsoft, Dell and Sony into one company, you would have something like the diversity of the Apple technological biosphere.

Don't know about you guys, but i loved this quote...

Well... out of the whole article this is probably the most stupid line.
Sony = not diversity? Are u kidding me? For real?

TVs, VCRs, DVD recorders/players for computers and stand-alone, Computers, Handhelds, Camcorders, MiniDisc, Software (and some of the best in the market Vegas, Sound Forge), PSP, PlayStation, Headphones, MP3 Players, DAT, Microphones, DSPs, VoiceRecorders, Digital Cameras, Alarm Clocks, Cellular Phones, tons of media formats (blank), LCDs, parts, and I can fill this whole thread with stuff...

So how diversify is Apple? Oh yeah... MP3 players, Computers, Software and stickers, and socks... oh yeah socks... come on... give me a break!

Again... I love Apple but come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....

pubwvj
Oct 18, 2005, 04:58 PM
What I want to know is why is Apple diddling around with video but not releasing a PDA, a handheld Mac, an iPal. The computing power is there in the modern iPods. Make them run, even a limited version, of MacOSX and let us access our data on the road. Mostly I want to be able to access the data. Being able to change it, have a pen interface, would be a big plus.

chewbaccapits
Oct 18, 2005, 05:13 PM
I don't have the quote but paraphrased from jobs {about the ipod} "People bitched about video, we are in it for the music but people wouldn't shut up. Here's your video. Now can we get back to the music?"

EDIT
Non-paraphrased FTA: “There is no market today for portable video,” he says. “We’re going to sell millions of these to people who want to play their music, and video is going to come along for the ride. Anyone who wants to put out video content will put it out for this. And we’ll find out what happens.”
so what are you saying?

revjay
Oct 18, 2005, 05:39 PM
Well... out of the whole article this is probably the most stupid line.
Sony = not diversity? Are u kidding me? For real?

TVs, VCRs, DVD recorders/players for computers and stand-alone, Computers, Handhelds, Camcorders, MiniDisc, Software (and some of the best in the market Vegas, Sound Forge), PSP, PlayStation, Headphones, MP3 Players, DAT, Microphones, DSPs, VoiceRecorders, Digital Cameras, Alarm Clocks, Cellular Phones, tons of media formats (blank), LCDs, parts, and I can fill this whole thread with stuff...

So how diversify is Apple? Oh yeah... MP3 players, Computers, Software and stickers, and socks... oh yeah socks... come on... give me a break!

Again... I love Apple but come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....

Okay...answer this...

What does Sony not do - - - that Apple does do? Besides socks!

Wax on...wax off.

revjay
Oct 18, 2005, 05:43 PM
What I want to know is why is Apple diddling around with video but not releasing a PDA, a handheld Mac, an iPal. The computing power is there in the modern iPods. Make them run, even a limited version, of MacOSX and let us access our data on the road. Mostly I want to be able to access the data. Being able to change it, have a pen interface, would be a big plus.

Careful...you may just get what you wish (http://www.oldschool.net/newton/newnewton.html) for.

sjk
Oct 18, 2005, 06:19 PM
That makes me laugh, imagining him having to engrave all the iPods.Got me imagining him doing iPod scrimshaw.

DougBTX
Oct 18, 2005, 06:57 PM
What does Sony not do - - - that Apple does do?

Mac OS?

Stinkythe1
Oct 18, 2005, 09:17 PM
How many covers of Time has Job's been on? After a quick google image search, I counted 5.

iMeowbot
Oct 19, 2005, 02:59 AM
Those aren't cubicles in the background. It appears to be some type of manufacturing equipment...kind of looks like engravers.
They're older Fadal vertical mills, probably 4020s from the 1990s.

eric_n_dfw
Oct 19, 2005, 08:07 AM
Sometimes less is more...

http://screaming.org/images/UIElegance.jpg
You know, I really hated that comparison; the reason the Apple remote can be so much smaller is that MS Media Center PC's do a whole hell of a lot more than Front Row. Try using any other DVR/HTPC/etc with no number pad or a guide button or channel up/down - talk about frustrating. On my Tivo (DirecTV Tivo to be exact) I don't need the number pad too often - but when I do, it is absolutely nessesary. How else to you tune to ESPN (in the low 200's on DirecTV) to watch a live game when both tuners are in the 300-500's ?)

The biggest probelem with Front Row and that remote is that it cannot tune in nor subscribe to any live or on-demand video content. ...yet

I'd bet that as soon as you see a version of Front Row that can replace your Tivo, it's remote will have to grow in complexity - although, I'd bet Apple will come up with a better design - maybe using the iPod wheel in some fashion. (That wheel would make the above mentioned channel surfing a little better, but real number buttons would still be nice.)

pohl
Oct 19, 2005, 09:47 AM
I'd bet that as soon as you see a version of Front Row that can replace your Tivo, it's remote will have to grow in complexity
Interesting perspective. I would have thought that this would simply be a matter of enhancing the FrontRow GUI to allow access to such a feature. Even something like a Firewire TV tuner peripheral could be controlled by the GUI effectively, without a number pad. Perhaps not in its current incarnation, but with some minor enhancement. (Cycling through your favorite channels quickly is easily accomplished by having a small list of favorites, or a small list-of-lists-of-favorites, as in TVTuner-->Sports--->ESPN.) I can see adding one or two more buttons to some future version of the remote, but that's it.

radio893fm
Oct 19, 2005, 01:17 PM
Okay...answer this...

What does Sony not do - - - that Apple does do? Besides socks!

Wax on...wax off.

Ehh.. besides MAC OS X (which by the way is in the Software category)... brag about every other invention like it was the cure for cancer...

radio893fm
Oct 19, 2005, 01:21 PM
Interesting perspective. I would have thought that this would simply be a matter of enhancing the FrontRow GUI to allow access to such a feature. Even something like a Firewire TV tuner peripheral could be controlled by the GUI effectively, without a number pad. Perhaps not in its current incarnation, but with some minor enhancement. (Cycling through your favorite channels quickly is easily accomplished by having a small list of favorites, or a small list-of-lists-of-favorites, as in TVTuner-->Sports--->ESPN.) I can see adding one or two more buttons to some future version of the remote, but that's it.

jajaja... now I remember the 1 button vs 2 button controversy... and what did Apple do? the mighty 2 button mouse... so I would not be sooo sure... let's start working on a multibutton/bigger remote Steve... you know it will come sooner or later!