PDA

View Full Version : Java Versions?

Killerbob
Mar 8, 2013, 05:44 AM
I keep my Macs updated every day, I run "Software Update" and "MacUpdate". Then today I get a message in FireFox that there is a an updated version of Java available.

I check using the other tools, and the one I have installed (version JavaForOSX2013-002 / 13) is the latest one. However, Oracle tells me it is "jre-7u17-macosx-x64". What's going on?

/Bo

justperry
Mar 8, 2013, 06:14 AM
Don't use a link inside a browser to update Java nor Flash, Java will be in Software Update or the Java Control Panel and for Flash go to Adobe's site, don't ever do it in a browser.

Killerbob
Mar 8, 2013, 07:32 AM
That update 17 which was suggested was indeed from Oracle. So, why is Oracle suggesting one version, and MacUpdate and Apple another one?

justperry
Mar 8, 2013, 07:37 AM
That update 17 which was suggested was indeed from Oracle. So, why is Oracle suggesting one version, and MacUpdate and Apple another one?

I find Java a complete mess and the versioning is incomprehensible, I don't need Java, many people don't need it, I think I had a need for it for my USB 3G stick but found out myself that if I installed the drivers OS X networking provides the rest, another program which I liked was Cyberduck but since it's Java I don't use it anymore.

There's plenty of alternative Apps which do not need Java, and for most people Java in Safari is also not needed.

I just avoid Java.

wrldwzrd89
Mar 8, 2013, 10:16 AM
The simplest explanation I can think of:

The version confusion results from a sourcing change for Java between major version 6 and major version 7. 6 and earlier were provided by Apple. 7 and later are provided by Oracle. This fact means that updaters for one source don't know about the other one.

justperry
Mar 8, 2013, 10:19 AM
The simplest explanation I can think of:

The version confusion results from a sourcing change for Java between major version 6 and major version 7. 6 and earlier were provided by Apple. 7 and later are provided by Oracle. This fact means that updaters for one source don't know about the other one.

Exactly, confusing for many.