Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Deal folks

Good day

Of late I am doing a lot of reading of web pages on my ipad 2 ( upgraded to latest iOS and all legal no jail break ). Most reading on safari . Open to using any standard browser

When the original pages fit the ipad screen size , they generally do NOT fit the screen when i pinch and zoom ( I zoom to help my aging eye !!! ). Some pages fit the screen but most do not

And on some of the pages the reader does NOT seem to work and that's where the pinch and zoom becomes critical and that's where the word wrap doesn't work

How do I word wrap to fit the ipad screen after a oinch and zoom or how to I read the whole page without scrolling left and right for every line when I have zoomed the text on the browser

It gets quite annoying to scroll every line left and write and read a web page when zoomed

Any help any tips / alternative apps or work arounds would most appreciated

Basic idea ....get reader on every web page or get a word wrap when I pinch and zoom on a web page

Thanks In advance

Best regards

Subu

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Unfortunately, on the ipad, there's no way to word wrap text when you zoom in Safari.

What I've been using is to increase font size. Here's how:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05/13/font-size-bookmarks/

I understand that some of the alternative browsers you can buy from the App Store allows you to set default font size. It's also possible that some of them has a word wrap function, but if so, I've never heard it mentioned.

I also use bookmarklets from Readability and Instapaper -- they sometimes work when Reader doesn't. But sometimes they don't work and Reader does.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Unfortunately, on the ipad, there's no way to word wrap text when you zoom in Safari.

What I've been using is to increase font size. Here's how:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05/13/font-size-bookmarks/

I understand that some of the alternative browsers you can buy from the App Store allows you to set default font size. It's also possible that some of them has a word wrap function, but if so, I've never heard it mentioned.

I also use bookmarklets from Readability and Instapaper -- they sometimes work when Reader doesn't. But sometimes they don't work and Reader does.

Thanks

I tried this , created two book marks, cleared the URL , cooied the java script , save , etc etc ... but neither the plus nor the minus bookmark does anything to the font size on safari iOS ipad !!!

So I've done something wrong , but can't figure out what !!

Regards
Subu

----------

Thanks

I tried this , created two book marks, cleared the URL , cooied the java script , save , etc etc ... but neither the plus nor the minus bookmark does anything to the font size on safari iOS ipad !!!

So I've done something wrong , but can't figure out what !!

Regards
Subu

If you see the link http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05/13/font-size-bookmarks/ and comments below that link many there say it isn't working for them

So, what are *we* ...I.e the guys who don't get it missing ?

TIA

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have no idea why it isn't working for you, the following codes work for me.

Font-
Code:
javascript:var p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i<p.length;i++){if(p[i].style.fontSize){var s=parseInt(p[i].style.fontSize.replace("px",""));}else{var s=12;}s-=2;p[i].style.fontSize=s+"px"}

Font+
Code:
javascript:var p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i<p.length;i++){if(p[i].style.fontSize){var s=parseInt(p[i].style.fontSize.replace("px",""));}else{var s=12;}s+=2;p[i].style.fontSize=s+"px"}

Oh, when copying and pasting the code, did you make sure to scroll all the way to the beginning of the code and check that it begins with "javascript"? Sometimes spaces and other garbage gets in there when copying nd pasting.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumormiller

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013

Font-
Code:
javascript:var p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i<p.length;i++){if(p[i].style.fontSize){var s=parseInt(p[i].style.fontSize.replace("px",""));}else{var s=12;}s-=2;p[i].style.fontSize=s+"px"}

Font+
Code:
javascript:var p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i<p.length;i++){if(p[i].style.fontSize){var s=parseInt(p[i].style.fontSize.replace("px",""));}else{var s=12;}s+=2;p[i].style.fontSize=s+"px"}

Oh, when copying and pasting the code, did you make sure to scroll all the way to the beginning of the code and check that it begins with "javascript"? Sometimes spaces and other garbage gets in there when copying nd pasting.

Thanks again

It works now

I used thie code you have given above and it worked !!!

I thought I had checked it earlier ...but it didn't :-(

Anyhow ...thanks a ton

Regards

Subu

rumormiller

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017

Font-
Code:

Font+
Code:

Thanks and still needed in 2017 in iOS 11!!!

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I know this thread is a few years old.
I use the Opera browser for Android.
It word (text) wraps.
I don't know if the Opera browser for iOS or iPad OS has that built in. Without text wrap, my tablet, my go to device, would be useless.
It is the one thing preventing me from moving to the iPad.
I'm tired of cheap Android tablets and Android itself.
I don't have any Apple devices, just my iMac, the one in my Avatar.
Thanks!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I know this thread is a few years old.
I use the Opera browser for Android.
It word (text) wraps.
I don't know if the Opera browser for iOS or iPad OS has that built in. Without text wrap, my tablet, my go to device, would be useless.
It is the one thing preventing me from moving to the iPad.
I'm tired of cheap Android tablets and Android itself.
I don't have any Apple devices, just my iMac, the one in my Avatar.
Thanks!
Well, in the few years since this thread, things have changed. iOS now has a function to let you adjust text size in the Safari browser. Most websites, the text word wraps properly when you adjust the text size. If you are able to go to a store where they have iPads on display, you should be able to check the websites you use to make sure they word wrap properly at the text size you find comfortable.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
Thanks Night Spring.
I will ask some of the people I know with iPads to check it out.
Maybe I can find a video online.
I use my tablet in portrait mode.
When I zoom in or out, the text wraps automatically.
What you are saying sounds a little different but usable.
EDIT: I found a couple of basic iPhone videos that proved your point.
Thanks Again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.