Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
So, I'm writing a report for my state-mandated "learn how to use Windows or you can't graduate" class about iPods. (I'm keepin' it Apple-centric, yo.)

Sooo, I'm using the word "iPod" a lot, and I was wondering...

If I'm starting a sentence with the word iPod, how do I capitalize it?

IPod? That just makes my mind hurt...
but starting a sentence with a lower-case letter also makes my heard hurt.

So, how do I capitalize it? I'm so confused!

Why am I getting hung up on this? 90% of America spells it I-Pod anyway... :eek: :p

PS
I actually wanna know... this is gonna bug me FOREVER if I don't figure it out, so don't say "don't start the sentence with the word 'iPod'"

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iPod can be used, without capitalization, at the start of a sentence.

iPod is, after all, the name of the device. Would one start a sentence with "E. e. cummings"? No. However, many bios punt by just going with Cummings.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I've seen Apple rumor sites start sentences with "IPod" for grammatical reasons, so I am guessing that is the correct way to do it. And yes, spelling it that way does annoy me too. :eek:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
On the rare occasions that it's used at the beginning of a sentence, Apple's iPod pages use "iPod". See here for examples.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Stick with the lower case -- it's the brand name of a product.
IPod makes my head hurt too... well, only a little.

Let's see. What looks best?

iPods are my favourite MP3 player. I love mine to bits... OR

IPods are my favourite MP3 player. I love mine to bits...

No contest. Screw correct language rules in this case -- if I was proofing your paper, I'd be making correction marks every time I saw an 'I' in front of 'Pod'.

moot

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
in the great Asian wonderland
Katie, I think it's OK to start a sentence with a lower-case letter when it's a name.

However, if you can - dont start with iPod.. (sorry :p ) That's what many news sites do, they avoid the issue altogther and start with a different word like "The" or "Apple's" or "New" and so on.

But don't capitalise the i because that is wrong. Then you are spelling the name incorrectly.

Anyway is spelling so important for computer class. I bet your teacher doesn't know what to do either.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
It's definitely always iPod.

Anybody else love how Apple refers to iPod like it's a person? It's never "the iPod" or "an iPod," just "iPod."

Maybe that's why I think it's trashy to rename it in iTunes.

Daniel

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Just because that's the way Apple does it doesn't mean that's the way you should do it. I'd say you should always capitalize the first letter of a sentence, but most important is to remain consistent.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Blue Velvet said:
No contest. Screw correct language rules in this case -- if I was proofing your paper, I'd be making correction marks every time I saw an 'I' in front of 'Pod'.

When Blue Velvet speaks, it is best to heed the advice. As usual, she is right!

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I don't have my MLE handbook handy, but I do recall that the capitalization (or lack thereof) of proper nouns supercedes the rule that sentences always begin with capital letters. So iPod is correct, regardless of its position in the sentence.

--DT

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yep, as a proper noun it should be iPod even at the beginning of a sentence. Of course, the New York Times was capitalizing the "i" as recently as a few weeks ago, so I think it depends on the individual styleguides for them.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I think I'm going to have to reverse my opinion. The author bell hooks doesn't capitalize her name. When cited in this article, even when her name starts a sentence, it's lowercase. So we have an academic example indicating that you should retain Apple's capitalization, even at the beginning of a sentence.

hookahco

macrumors regular
my advice to you is, just write "iPod" and if you were to get marked down, you have a lot of examples to site where capitalization rules of a proper noun supersede the rule of sentences starting with a capital letter i.e. "e. e. cummings."
its also interesting to see this article about the de-capitalization of his name. it may help you out.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Awesome! I didn't expect to see any real responses, just a bunch of goony ones calling me a moron.

I'll stick to "iPod" and try to start as many sentences as I can with the word.

That'll teach me.

:D:D Thanks! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.