Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPOOF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Washington DC area
This is a question for those that do web development and deployment professionally, and most importantly, securely.

It has been a long time since I've done web development, and I'd like to wet my chops and bring myself mostly up to speed again. To do this, I'd like to use current solutions that are in common use. I'd like to make a mock web store on my domain as practice (using a subdomain).

So my questions are:
1) I imagine something on top of LAMP is likely, is that true as the most common?
2) Which software packages (bonus if they're open source of some kind) will I be looking at integrating these days for the inventory management, webstore, shopping cart, checkout (which of course won't be used beyond a test account with fake test items, since I don't sell anything), feedback, etc...and which of those should I be expecting to write up myself?
3) Is it still common for most clients to want to integrate with QuickBooks for inventory, contacts, orders, and billing? If so, please keep that in mind for #2.

Thanks in advance for helping me jump start the process of removing the rust from my skills (and likely adding new ones), which include (x)html, css, javascript, java, php, python, xml, sql, various non-scripting programming languages (c, etc), and doing government level IT Administration of just about any server or service (from several years ago).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.