Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canuksker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
I have an old power mac 6200/132 running OS 8 that I use for my curriculum at school and an old grade book program that I like. I have changed schools and everything else in my room is now Dells and hps and no one can help me with this dinosaur. The printer went out and I got a laserwriter select 360 used and it ofcourse came without software. I found the driver, laserwriter 8.1, and dropped it into the extension folder. But the chooser doesn't bring up my printer and won't work if I choose any of the listed printers. I did a find on my computer and found a document that was labeled "laserwriter select 360" and tried putting that into the extension folder, but the printer still did not appear in the chooser.

I know I am one the the very few people running OS8, but hopefully someone remembers what I need to do to get the printer to show up in the chooser.

Or where could I find the original software to load on the computer?

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
No offense, but why bother with the thing? A refurb mac mini is $399 now, and you'll be able to do so much more with it.

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
You can find old software here:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

That includes the LaserWriter software. It appears 8.5.1 is the latest version. The printer section is about halfway down the page (which is long.) Also grab the .txt file for notes about the release.

You might think about finding newer software next summer. If something fails on your machine, you could be in a world of hurt. Getting parts and help for something that old (in the tech world) will only get harder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.