Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grunthaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Is there a work around so I can connect either my iPhone 3GS (just used for music) or 4 (just got it and haven't set up to my phone line yet) to PPC iTunes? I called Verizon who called Apple and they said no for a PPC but that is because of an iTunes version right? Is there a work around?

Does anybody have a chart link to tell me what connects to what regarding chips and version of OS iTunes and type of i-anything?

I had a 2nd generation iPod Touch which connected to my PPC using Tiger until I lost it at the Airport.

Is anyone connecting 3rd gen iTouch or iPhone to their PPC if so post your OS & ver iTunes :apple:

This situation is the main reason I wanted to upgrade to an Intel iMac or Powerbook but I can't swing 1K for a new computer just to connect my music & apps.

Thanks again,
Linda

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iOS 6 requires iTunes 10.7 which requires Snow Leopard
iOS 5.1.1 will work on 10.6.3 which is the last version with support for Leopard
The iPhone 3Gs and 4 can connect to a Leopard machine if they are running iOS 5.1.1 or below.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
It has beta support for iOS 6.0 in iTunes 10.6.3. It can be and is a bit buggy. Official iOS 6 support arrived in iTunes 10.7.

I was syncing my 3GS with iOS 6.0 (final release) with 10.6.3 on my G5 with no issues & didn't come across any bugs/problems. Just thought I'd point it out.

Grunthaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Wow thanks guys, both Verizon and Apple said no I can't connect an iphone 3gs or 4 onto a PPC Mac.
I should have asked here first.
Thanks Linda

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Wow thanks guys, both Verizon and Apple said no I can't connect an iphone 3gs or 4 onto a PPC Mac.
I should have asked here first.
Thanks Linda

All of them worked on PowerPCs until the iPhone 5, even with iOS 6. My 3GS works flawlessly with iOS 6.

And yes, it's usually better to ask here first. Beyond this forum, there are many things you'd be told are impossible to do what, in fact, many people here have done.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
iPhone 4s

Ok, I might be getting an iPhone 4s for the 1st time. My mac experience thus far has only been with OS X, OS 9, and Mac computers..

So, If I am using 10.6.3 on my PowerBook G4 and my iPhone is a 4s and I want to get IOS 6.0, I shouldn't have a problem upgrading to IOS 6, right?

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Ok, I might be getting an iPhone 4s for the 1st time. My mac experience thus far has only been with OS X, OS 9, and Mac computers..

So, If I am using 10.6.3 on my PowerBook G4 and my iPhone is a 4s and I want to get IOS 6.0, I shouldn't have a problem upgrading to IOS 6, right?

Right as rain.

Grunthaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Wow I would have gotten an iphone or a new touch a long time ago if Apple and Verizon didn't lie to me by saying they did not work on ppc.

Hey which forum should I go to to post Powerbook g4 Titanium questions?
Thanks again,
Linda

All of them worked on PowerPCs until the iPhone 5, even with iOS 6. My 3GS works flawlessly with iOS 6.

And yes, it's usually better to ask here first. Beyond this forum, there are many things you'd be told are impossible to do what, in fact, many people here have done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.