PDA

View Full Version : Please, don't make my mistake.

ipapis
Mar 9, 2013, 01:31 PM
Hello, my friends,

I'm here to share my experience with you so you don't make the same mistake I did.

Well, I was a happy owner of a Macbook air 11 and a Macbook White 13.3. But I decided to give the first to my father and the last to my wife. Well, since I love games, I thought: " Why not try a Windows laptop again? After all, I was a heavy Microsoft user before and I did just great. And, this Windows 8 interface looks very friendly."

So, in my arrogance and naivety, I ordered a laptop with a Core I5 with 1Gb dedicated GPU. And I really thought I was being so smart: a similar Macbook Pro would cost twice and wouldn't let me play Windows games natively.

Oh, how could I be so wrong.

It all starts with the package. When I received it, the first thing I thought was:
"Well, it is not an IPad or MBA box, but this doesn't matter, because the laptop will be a rocket!"
Then, after I saw the laptop:
"Well, it is not a MBP, but if you look if from the side, under a weak light, it is beautiful. Well, surely it doesn't have the aluminum case, but who wants aesthetics?"

And then, I made the biggest mistake of my life (If you have a faint heart, please, stop Reading now):

I TURNED IT ON!

At first I thought that the interface was really clunky and not even intuitive. But surely, it was just me being too critic. After I thought that the mousepad wasn't responsive. Well, but that's why I bought a gaming mouse, right?

Then, I started to "play" with my new toy:

-Where's the dock?
-Why this Skype doesn't accept my 10 year old account?
-Why this Outlook doesn't synchronize?
-Why do I have to download 765 updates?
-Why is my computer unprotected?
-Why so many warnings?

-HEEEEELLLLP.

-I'm overreacting. This is a good machine. So, let me install the antivírus and update Windows 8.

-Oh, I was forgeting about the drivers. They need to be updated, too.

Well. After exactly 4 hours updating and installing the basic, my beautiful, powerful, incredible PC laptop froze. I resetted it. The system couldn't find my wireless adapter. I pluged it directly to the router. The system couldn't find my network adapter.

After 2 hours trying to solve the problem, and did a recovery deleting all the work I have done.

-How could I be so wrong? How could I be so naive?

Right now I'm writing this in my powerful machine, in which the mouse cursos lags, believe it or not. My old Core 2 Duo Macbook is much sharper.

Please, my friends, don't do the same mistake.

Sorry, I have to go now. I have a vírus scan to make.

jmoore5196
Mar 9, 2013, 02:28 PM
I cannot help but think of John Ruskin's quote:

"There is hardly anything that a man cannot make a little cheaper, and people who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey."

Microsoft has been preying on the public for years. They've successfully lowered the common denominator for computing experiences to the point that what you've gone through is the norm. Why make hardware to an exceptional standard when the OS it's designed to run is complete crap?

Nermal
Mar 9, 2013, 02:31 PM
Yesterday I was booted into Windows to play a game. I'd nearly finished an objective (at which point I'd be able to save) when the game suddenly quit without warning. My first thought was that it had crashed, but nope, Windows had decided to force a reboot to install updates.

That alone reminded me why I prefer OS X.

PaulCostello
Mar 9, 2013, 03:02 PM
Wow! Lol Thanks for reminding me why I switched all my PC's over to apple. Ill never look back! Thx for post. btw, I really was laughing out loud.

Weaselboy
Mar 9, 2013, 03:29 PM
Yesterday I was booted into Windows to play a game. I'd nearly finished an objective (at which point I'd be able to save) when the game suddenly quit without warning. My first thought was that it had crashed, but nope, Windows had decided to force a reboot to install updates.

That alone reminded me why I prefer OS X.

I have not used Windows since XP, but it looks like (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294871) you can still tell it not to automatically install updates like that. That is how I recall having XP configured.

Michael Goff
Mar 9, 2013, 03:51 PM
Hello, my friends,

I'm here to share my experience with you so you don't make the same mistake I did.

Well, I was a happy owner of a Macbook air 11 and a Macbook White 13.3. But I decided to give the first to my father and the last to my wife. Well, since I love games, I thought: " Why not try a Windows laptop again? After all, I was a heavy Microsoft user before and I did just great. And, this Windows 8 interface looks very friendly."

So, in my arrogance and naivety, I ordered a laptop with a Core I5 with 1Gb dedicated GPU. And I really thought I was being so smart: a similar Macbook Pro would cost twice and wouldn't let me play Windows games natively.

Oh, how could I be so wrong.

It all starts with the package. When I received it, the first thing I thought was:
"Well, it is not an IPad or MBA box, but this doesn't matter, because the laptop will be a rocket!"
Then, after I saw the laptop:
"Well, it is not a MBP, but if you look if from the side, under a weak light, it is beautiful. Well, surely it doesn't have the aluminum case, but who wants aesthetics?"

And then, I made the biggest mistake of my life (If you have a faint heart, please, stop Reading now):

I TURNED IT ON!

At first I thought that the interface was really clunky and not even intuitive. But surely, it was just me being too critic. After I thought that the mousepad wasn't responsive. Well, but that's why I bought a gaming mouse, right?

Then, I started to "play" with my new toy:

-Where's the dock?
-Why this Skype doesn't accept my 10 year old account?
-Why this Outlook doesn't synchronize?
-Why do I have to download 765 updates?
-Why is my computer unprotected?
-Why so many warnings?

-HEEEEELLLLP.

-I'm overreacting. This is a good machine. So, let me install the antivírus and update Windows 8.

-Oh, I was forgeting about the drivers. They need to be updated, too.

Well. After exactly 4 hours updating and installing the basic, my beautiful, powerful, incredible PC laptop froze. I resetted it. The system couldn't find my wireless adapter. I pluged it directly to the router. The system couldn't find my network adapter.

After 2 hours trying to solve the problem, and did a recovery deleting all the work I have done.

-How could I be so wrong? How could I be so naive?

Right now I'm writing this in my powerful machine, in which the mouse cursos lags, believe it or not. My old Core 2 Duo Macbook is much sharper.

Please, my friends, don't do the same mistake.

So there's no way you could have a bad machine?

It's simply impossible?

Edit: Also, some of your problems come from "why doesn't Windows work like OS X". If I had come to OS X expecting it to work just like Windows, I'd probably have been disappointed too.

Nermal
Mar 9, 2013, 03:51 PM
I have not used Windows since XP, but it looks like (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294871) you can still tell it not to automatically install updates like that. That is how I recall having XP configured.

I did find and change the option, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid default. Nothing should ever close your apps without asking.

TheMacBookPro
Mar 9, 2013, 03:55 PM
I hope OP isn't serious. Why isn't there a dock? Because it's Windows, not OS X :rolleyes:

I did find and change the option, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid default. Nothing should ever close your apps without asking.

The default is a pop-up window that asks you if you want to reboot to complete installing updates, and gives you 10 minutes before automatically doing so.

Michael Goff
Mar 9, 2013, 03:59 PM
I hope OP isn't serious. Why isn't there a dock? Because it's Windows, not OS X :rolleyes:

The default is a pop-up window that asks you if you want to reboot to complete installing updates, and gives you 10 minutes before automatically doing so.

Actually, Windows 8 will automatically restart your computer if you don't manually restart it within... 2 days.

>_>

thejadedmonkey
Mar 9, 2013, 04:20 PM
Actually, Windows 8 will automatically restart your computer if you don't manually restart it within... 2 days.

>_>

So what did we learn? OP got a new PC, expected it to be a mac, got upset after it told him it would install updates for 2 days, and then did so, and got upset that it won't connect to the internet or that he had to remember passwords. Sorry, but while Windows isn't like OS X, it's hardly a mistake.

Mrbobb
Mar 9, 2013, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't trash Windows so readily. Sure it's not smooth but the fact that many games are only Win-based...

I find that when there is a problem in Windows, there are 10 work- arounds. With OSX, sometimes is a black box. Am thinking just because the user base is so much larger.

racer1441
Mar 9, 2013, 06:26 PM
Good warning. Windows 8 is like getting screwed by a rusty pole by a guy named bubba.

Avoid at all cost!

Abazigal
Mar 9, 2013, 07:26 PM
So there's no way you could have a bad machine?

It's simply impossible?

Edit: Also, some of your problems come from "why doesn't Windows work like OS X". If I had come to OS X expecting it to work just like Windows, I'd probably have been disappointed too.
OSX knows when to work like windows and when to do stuff its own way (else there would be no reason for me to switch over from windows). Granted, it still has quirks of its own, but generally, it does have me scratching my head and going "um...why didn't windows do this right from the get go?"

Brian Y
Mar 10, 2013, 05:29 AM
I had to use Windows 8 to test a website in a virtual machine - oh my god! Now I'll admit up front that the last time I used Windows as a full-time OS was Windows 2000 - but seriously - what the hell have they done to Windows 8.

I mean, to turn it off, you have to hover the mouse over to one site, go to settings, then choose power off. Cause the "power" is a setting >.<

rbrian
Mar 10, 2013, 06:07 AM
I mean, to turn it off, you have to hover the mouse over to one site, go to settings, then choose power off. Cause the "power" is a setting >.<

I briefly had a job installing broadband in homes (briefly because there wasn't enough work - I mean seriously, who can't read the instructions in the box or locate a 12 year old to do it for them?)

At that time, I only used Windows; Macs were foreign to me. It took quite some time to figure out how to turn an iMac on. I mean who hides the power switch round the back of the screen where you can't see it?

All computers should have something like this:

Sleepy01
Mar 10, 2013, 11:49 AM
I tried to go back to PC also. Not sure why ? Maybe nostalgia since my first computers were PC's.

Laptop experience. (Why is my trackpad broken) It was not, the glass Macbook trackpads spoil us all.

Desktop experience. (Why does my desktop sound like a washing machine) ?

Windows 8 experience (Just plain WHY ?)

Meh, the cheapest Mac is a better user experience than the most expensive PC

abz1981
Mar 10, 2013, 12:34 PM
Wow that a story. Are you going to sell this pos and return it and go back to a mac?

MuffCabbage
Mar 10, 2013, 12:48 PM
Updates restart computer in 2 days on Windows 8.
There's built in AntiVirus.
Trackpad may suck.. Some are good some are bad. Its what you get when you go cheap sometimes. Driver updates may help.
Updates are what keeps you safe. Its just what happens these days with electronics.
SuperBar>Dock for me.
Now that all the initial updates are done its not going to be an issue anymore.
Did you not look at the computer before you bought?

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

tekno
Mar 10, 2013, 01:03 PM
I think it's time for a third operating system to start pushing through. Windows is widely regarded as fairly awful, OS X is becoming quite long in the tooth and with more and more people looking to Android, Apple's many devoted May be looking elsewhere.

I think the time is ripe for Google to create a desktop operating system.

elppa
Mar 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
I think it's time for a third operating system to start pushing through. Windows is widely regarded as fairly awful, OS X is becoming quite long in the tooth and with more and more people looking to Android, Apple's many devoted May be looking elsewhere.

I think the time is ripe for Google to create a desktop operating system.

They've already got one, it's called Chrome.

tekno
Mar 10, 2013, 03:14 PM
They've already got one, it's called Chrome.

I don't think anyone would see Chrome as a competitor to OSX and Windows - its cloud-based set-up makes it fairly useless as a true OS.

Personally, I'd like to ditch OS X, but Windows is too dangerous for me to commit to. And those are my only options. So I'm stuck with OS X.

DisplacedMic
Mar 10, 2013, 03:32 PM
So what did we learn? OP got a new PC, expected it to be a mac, got upset after it told him it would install updates for 2 days, and then did so, and got upset that it won't connect to the internet or that he had to remember passwords. Sorry, but while Windows isn't like OS X, it's hardly a mistake.

nobody is saying it's a "mistake." in fact that's what makes it frustrating: it's a feature (or perhaps even a necessity if stack mem overflows are still a windows problem)

what happens is sometimes that popup doesn't trump the GPU so yo don't notice it's ticking until your machine reboots.

it's by no means a deal killer, but it's definitely "one of those things"

certainly apple OSs have a few of their own - but not as many imo.

PraisiX-windows
Mar 10, 2013, 04:22 PM
I find it odd considering how awful skype is for mac, it should be okay for windows.
Is your post serious? it seems like a joke the way you build up suspense for the punchline. My troll/sheep combo detector definitely buzzed a bit reading this.

ilifecomputer
Mar 10, 2013, 04:24 PM
2/10 for me.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Kissaragi
Mar 10, 2013, 04:32 PM
Seems a bit suspicious for a first and only post. Tim, is that you?

rbrian
Mar 10, 2013, 04:45 PM
I think it's time for a third operating system to start pushing through.

What, like Linux? It has two major problems, the first of which it shares with Windows: it works on millions of different hardware configurations, leading to potentially millions of unique bugs. OSX only has to work on a few dozen, making it less likely to be buggy, and able to be optimised - touchpad support is the most obvious example of this.

The second problem is also a strength - there are more distributions than I can count, which means software availability is patchy, but also means it can be anything you want it to be.

Xe89
Mar 10, 2013, 04:49 PM
I find it odd considering how awful skype is for mac, it should be okay for windows.

There are two different Skype for Windows 8. The regular desktop application (which is similar to that on OSX) and the "new style" aka Windows Store aka Metro Skype application (which is more similar to mobile applications). The latter only accepts Microsoft accounts (that is, Hotmail, Xbox, Zune, Outlook accounts), not older Skype accounts although you can link them.

Regarding the antivirus: Windows 8 has built-in antivirus, it is called Defender. This is not the same Defender as in Windows 7 but instead the Defender of Windows 8 is a rebranded MSE.

tekno
Mar 10, 2013, 04:56 PM
What, like Linux? It has two major problems, the first of which it shares with Windows: it works on millions of different hardware configurations, leading to potentially millions of unique bugs. OSX only has to work on a few dozen, making it less likely to be buggy, and able to be optimised - touchpad support is the most obvious example of this.

The second problem is also a strength - there are more distributions than I can count, which means software availability is patchy, but also means it can be anything you want it to be.

Quite. So Linux isn't going to be the third OS. It's not 'consumer-ready'. It's an OS for computer geeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chrome OS is Google's beta for a full-fledged computer OS. And it's about time someone tried, because Windows is rubbish and Apple have lost direction.

yanksrock100
Mar 10, 2013, 08:15 PM
This is why I'm a mac!

MaloCS
Mar 10, 2013, 08:17 PM
I guess I'm in the minority because I ditched a 2011 iMac for a Dell with Window 8. Different strokes and all that. :)

LightOnAHill
Mar 10, 2013, 08:21 PM
Take it back and get a Mac Pro.

Seriously, you can put widows 8 on it and run it native, so there's no reason to not get a Mac except if you don't have the money to afford it... Then just save up!

I run windows 7 on my Mac when I want to play windows-only games. Does great!

Don't make the mistake if not returning that machine and buying an apple laptop. Don't make THAT mistake! :D

DisplacedMic
Mar 11, 2013, 07:00 AM
Quite. So Linux isn't going to be the third OS. It's not 'consumer-ready'. It's an OS for computer geeks.

i disagree. i know relatively very little about computers and i'm certainly not a "computer geek" in the positive sense of the word and i am a linux user. there are many distributions of Linux that are designed so that anyone with gui experience would be perfectly comfortable using them. the problem is computers have historically shipped with either an apple or a windows os.

that is slowly changing. and as there have been so many terrible windows releases many people over the years have just downgraded to XP or switched to linux - and the number of people doing the latter is growing.

seveej
Mar 11, 2013, 03:27 PM
seems a bit suspicious for a first and only post. Tim, is that you?

ROTFLMAO

RGDS,

P.S. Sorry for this null P.S., but forum does not accept messages in all caps.

twintin
Mar 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
that is slowly changing. and as there have been so many terrible windows releases many people over the years have just downgraded to XP or switched to linux - and the number of people doing the latter is growing.

Are you kidding me ? After more than two decades Linux barely reaches obove 1% of the user base as desktop OS. How many computers in an ordinary electronic store have any variant of Linux preinstalled (have not found any) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Whether you like it or not, Linux is, have always been and most likely will always be a hobbyist OS, at least as desktop OS.

617aircav
Mar 11, 2013, 08:08 PM
Troll on OP. You act as if you never used windows before, and you have. I have a windows gaming laptop and I love it. Not as much as my air.

buysp
Mar 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
Btw OP (Tim), what vendor is it? Sony have always given me a great windoze experience!
But i wouldnt swap it for OSX!

filmbuff
Mar 12, 2013, 01:06 AM
This kind of crap is why I switched in the first place. Now I have Windows 7 on bootcamp and every time I log on it has some problem. Most of the time it is related to the 750 updates it's trying to download or the updates that failed to install last time. It took me forever to fix all of the settings to stop it from giving me warning messages every 10 seconds. Microsoft overcharges you more than Apple too. Apple hardware is expensive but at least you get something for your money. Mac software is dirt cheap compared to Windows stuff.

ctdonath
Mar 12, 2013, 12:21 PM
A favorite local burger restaurant runs a radio ad ending:
"Sure, you could buy a hamburger for a dollar...but then you'd have to eat it."

DisplacedMic
Mar 12, 2013, 06:36 PM
Are you kidding me ? After more than two decades Linux barely reaches obove 1% of the user base as desktop OS. How many computers in an ordinary electronic store have any variant of Linux preinstalled (have not found any) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Whether you like it or not, Linux is, have always been and most likely will always be a hobbyist OS, at least as desktop OS.

wow...hard to argue with cold facts. maybe i'm just being too optimistic...

bluebayou
Mar 12, 2013, 07:53 PM
just out of curiosity--and sorry if this was already mentioned in a pervious post, I skimmed pretty quickly--but what model laptop did you buy exactly, what company, etc? just for comparison's sake lol.. i mean if it was a crappy HP thang I would totally understand, but ASUS's new ultrabook is pretty legit.

i love my mba tho hehe

2IS
Mar 13, 2013, 02:07 AM
I'd take this post more seriously if

A) You weren't exaggerating about well... Everything

and

B) You weren't blaming windows for a user deficiency.

I switch between platforms often and don't have these issues. Windows 8 doesn't have a dock because it's windows 8, not OSX and has a different interface.

AFDoc
Mar 13, 2013, 02:25 AM

LoL you people are sooo funny. I recently bought a windows computer and had ZEREO issues as you describe. Did you buy a 2008 version? My windows 8 machine had one update to download.... the rMBP I bought a few weeks ago also had a DL that needed to be done. Any chance to rip a windows machine for some of you lol. OP, meet life.

Good warning. Windows 8 is like getting screwed by a rusty pole by a guy named bubba. Avoid at all cost!Do you even own a windows 8 machine? I doubt you do.

DisplacedMic
Mar 13, 2013, 08:30 AM
A favorite local burger restaurant runs a radio ad ending:
"Sure, you could buy a hamburger for a dollar...but then you'd have to eat it."

haha - i absolutely LOVE that slogan!