PDA

View Full Version : Going iMac

gsgroff
Mar 10, 2013, 01:28 AM
I've handled my LAST PC mess! I'm planning to get a new iMac in the very near future. Quick question:

I have a recording setup in my home. I do all recording/mixing/effects on my stand-along Roland 2480 and just fly a stereo pair Via SPDIF into the PC. There, I use Soundforge for final editing and mastering, with some Waves plugins.

Here's what I'm planning: ESI U24XL interface to get the SPDIF into the iMac. Does anyone have any experience with this interface?

What recording/editing software do you recommend. The ESI comes with QbaseLE, which I've never used. I see a new Soundforge for Mac is out now. I hate to go full-blown Logic, as all I need is to edit and master a stereo pair. No tracks, mixing, or midi stuff on the 'puter. All that is handled on my Roland.

Any advice or opinions out there for this?

Thanks,
Gordon

Macman45
Mar 10, 2013, 01:54 AM
Should work fine...I've used similar setups with my Macs...Not that specific interface, but you should not encounter issues...I use a couple of Roland boards and have connected them by SPDIF and Via USB without any problem at all.

gsgroff
Mar 10, 2013, 04:10 AM
Thanks, Macman.

What program do you use for editing/mastering?

Gordon

Macman45
Mar 10, 2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks, Macman.

What program do you use for editing/mastering?

Gordon

It's kind of a hybrid version of Cubase which is burned to a rom in one of my boards....I do most of the editing and FX directly on the board, save to a 32GB Super fast SD card ) Also on the board and I rather successful DIY job) then take it all over to the Mac. I try to keep away from too much fiddling around so that by the time it's on my imac it's really just a case of a final master....The board will also master and burn, but it's a little fiddly...it works, ( at least I think It does :D ) as I have never put a DVD in the drive...It's all backed up to a Pegasus R4 after that...A lot of stuff I do is trails....Promo etc, which is okay, ut kind of a pain as I have to keep all of it, resulting in GB's of stuff and more T/bolt storage...!

Fishrrman
Mar 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
Are you sure you'll never need at least a pair of XLR inputs on an interface? That one seems to have none...

gsgroff
Mar 11, 2013, 07:20 AM
Are you sure you'll never need at least a pair of XLR inputs on an interface? That one seems to have none...

Yep. I never intend to record directly into the iMac. My Roland 2480 sits just a few feet from my computer desk. It's got 16 XLR, 1/4" balanced, etc. with pretty good preamps. Full physical slider controls for all channels and some pretty good effects built in. I even have a 2 channel Millenia Media Pre, just for those times when I must have two channels of pristene input chain. I only need to get SPDIF from there into the iMac, then do final stereo pair edits/mastering and CD burning and graphics creation on the iMac.

I know this is contrary to 99% of what folks are doing these days, but it's the way I go.

Thanks for the input, Gang!

Gordon