PDA

View Full Version : Philips Releases Open APIs and SDK for iOS Controlled Hue Lighting System

MacRumors
Mar 11, 2013, 02:26 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/11/philips-releases-open-apis-and-sdk-for-ios-controlled-hue-lighting-system/)

TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/10/philips-hue-lighting-sdk-ios/?) reports that Philips has created an official developer program (http://developers.meethue.com/) for its Wi-Fi connected Hue home lighting system (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/29/phillips-to-sell-ios-controlled-led-light-bulbs-exclusively-through-apple-stores/), which includes an SDK for iOS and APIs to allow hardware and software developers to integrate Hue into their products.

Hue (http://www.meethue.com), which is exclusive to iOS, allows users to control LED lightbulbs via the iPhone and an accompanying bridge that uses the ZigBee communication protocol.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/philipshue.png
(http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/10/philips-hue-lighting-sdk-ios/)"We're now at a point where there are already about 10 applications that have been shared and built from the unofficial developer community for new applications around Hue," explained George Yianni, Hue System Architect in an interview. "Now what we want to do as Philips is we actually want to help and grow and encourage this community, and give them tools and proper documentation. Also, we want to give them commitment that this is the API and we're going to support it and it won't change overnight."Though Hue-integrated third party apps such as last week's Ambify (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/08/ambify-for-ios-sets-philips-hue-lights-to-music/) have been released, these solutions do not use official APIs. According to Yianni, the unavailability of official APIs is the main reason that the Hue has yet to be integrated into additional apps and connected home devices.

The new Hue tools are freely available for all developers interested in creating a product or an app that connects to the system.

Philips plans to add additional functionality to the Hue in the future, focusing on geofencing, scheduling, and other sensor capabilities. The company is also working on expanding the Hue line with new lightbulb types.

Article Link: Philips Releases Open APIs and SDK for iOS Controlled Hue Lighting System (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/11/philips-releases-open-apis-and-sdk-for-ios-controlled-hue-lighting-system/)

H2SO4
Mar 11, 2013, 02:44 AM
If these systems weren't set at fantasyland prices I'd have them all over my house and Philips would have a customer before other manufacturers jump in with thier offerings.
As it is, I'm holding on to my money and Philips make nothing on me.

tekno
Mar 11, 2013, 02:57 AM
Who is Philip?

H2SO4
Mar 11, 2013, 03:14 AM
Who is Philip?

That's funny.

jclo
Mar 11, 2013, 03:18 AM
Who is Philip?

He's that jerk who makes typos in my posts, making me get out of bed at 1:18 AM to fix them.

The Mercurian
Mar 11, 2013, 03:59 AM
Hue (http://www.meethue.com), which is exclusive to iOS,

Apparently nobody told Phillips or Google about that:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.philips.lighting.hue&hl=en

Anyhow love to try these out but the pricing is ridiculous.
Phillips would want to sort that out sharpish or they will be undercut by competitors:
http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2012/09/17/the-amazing-lifx-hits-kickstarter-completely-reimagine-lightbulb/

hybra
Mar 11, 2013, 04:09 AM
Cool bulbs, I just miss the cyan tone, that they seem to be unable to build up (they produce a blueish white instead, and can't quite understand why, while I can live without the brown and black)...

needfx
Mar 11, 2013, 04:13 AM
if & how fast the change from color to color is, these lamps should be interesting with films & home theaters; depending on the scene's color scheme, they could change to match. of course this would mean that a database of films should exist with matching color information

feel free to whatever me

--edit
I just read about ambify so I am not on the fringe side

jhead95
Mar 11, 2013, 04:25 AM
Awesome I can't wait to... oh wait, I live in Australia. Never mind.

The Mercurian
Mar 11, 2013, 04:42 AM
if & how fast the change from color to color is, these lamps should be interesting with films & home theaters; depending on the scene's color scheme, they could change to match. of course this would mean that a database of films should exist with matching color information

feel free to whatever me

--edit
I just read about ambify so I am not on the fringe side

Films ?? Screw that - I want to play Halo with these things controlled by the xbox and hooked into the colour of weapons being fired :D

Edit: Anyone with the technical know how to code this please feel free to rip off this idea and make it work. I ask only for a message to say when it is available and a free copy :)

needfx
Mar 11, 2013, 04:50 AM
Films ?? Screw that - I want to play Halo with these things controlled by the xbox and hooked into the colour of weapons being fired :D

great idea!! even better!

j_maddison
Mar 11, 2013, 05:05 AM
It's just a shame they don't fit standard UK light fittings

RedTomato
Mar 11, 2013, 05:08 AM
... Geofencing

These are mains-powered bulbs. I'm not sure how easy it would be to convert them to a mobile battery-powered installation.

Oh wait, the geofencing is for the ios / android app, not the bulb! Whoops.

Nevermind, I shall use this in my husband-detect-o-prox-o-tron. Scenario: we are merrily swiving away at home, husband approaches within 1 mile, Find-my-friends alert goes off, Philips Hue bulb above bed starts flashing blue and red, time to deploy pants and exunt.

iPusch
Mar 11, 2013, 05:10 AM

haha seriously, didn't even know that :D
UK is fascinating^^

RedTomato
Mar 11, 2013, 05:13 AM

Yes they do. Most UK shops sell both bayonet and screw-in bulbs. I have both in my house (unfortunately).

Ps, one advantage of being in the UK is you can use 'pants' in the UK sense and have it read in the much tamer USA sense by the mods here :)

SpyderBite
Mar 11, 2013, 05:30 AM
If these systems weren't set at fantasyland prices I'd have them all over my house and Philips would have a customer before other manufacturers jump in with thier offerings.
As it is, I'm holding on to my money and Philips make nothing on me.

I have 8 bulbs through out my house. Cost is relative.

jowie
Mar 11, 2013, 07:06 AM
More and more UK fittings are screw fit these days. You can thank Ikea for that.

gijoeinla
Mar 11, 2013, 07:07 AM

How do you like em? Am thinking about making the leap...

What would be cool is if the API could be used by apps like DJ or even iTunes and the bulbs could be programmed to fire according to beats and change hues at the same time -- can thru already do that - dunno

bacaramac
Mar 11, 2013, 07:13 AM
I love my Hue setup, but firmware or software still seems beta to me. There could be huge improvements made to the app and I'm not sure how much of the issues are app vs firmware on hardware itself.

needfx
Mar 11, 2013, 07:40 AM
How do you like em? Am thinking about making the leap...

What would be cool is if the API could be used by apps like DJ or even iTunes and the bulbs could be programmed to fire according to beats and change hues at the same time -- can thru already do that - dunno

ambify

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/08/ambify-for-ios-sets-philips-hue-lights-to-music/

Intarweb
Mar 11, 2013, 07:50 AM

Hence he said "I'd have them," not 'Everyone would have them.'

rdlink
Mar 11, 2013, 08:10 AM

Then let me put it another way. "Fantasyland pricing" is relative to what you find to be good value for the money. First of all, they're led lights, which are not only expensive, but last upwards of 20 years. Second, they're network connected. Third, they are a fully integrated, holistic system. Nobody else has "undercut" them yet.

When they were announced (the only place I saw any press on them was Macrumors and 9to5 Mac) they flew off the shelves. I had to drive to three different Apple stores in two days to be able to find a system and three additional bulbs. And every other store I called said they were selling out as fast as they could get them in. So I'd say that there is a market for them.

samh004
Mar 11, 2013, 08:20 AM
Awesome I can't wait to... oh wait, I live in Australia. Never mind.

I love reading about the Hue, until I remember I can't buy it here in Australia yet again!

Would happily purchase a few :(

hppy29
Mar 11, 2013, 08:56 AM

These lights work fine in the UK, just google b22 to e27 adapter. And as also noted in other post you can get both pendant and lamps with screw caps in the UK.

EvilC5
Mar 11, 2013, 09:35 AM

I have 6, and really like them as well. mainly in my basement rec room where i have 4 of them, and on one side i like watching a movie in the dim light, and on the other, my son needs light so he can play with his toys.

with these, you can dim them independently which creates a nice look.

Intarweb
Mar 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
Then let me put it another way. "Fantasyland pricing" is relative to what you find to be good value for the money. First of all, they're led lights, which are not only expensive, but last upwards of 20 years. Second, they're network connected. Third, they are a fully integrated, holistic system. Nobody else has "undercut" them yet.

When they were announced (the only place I saw any press on them was Macrumors and 9to5 Mac) they flew off the shelves. I had to drive to three different Apple stores in two days to be able to find a system and three additional bulbs. And every other store I called said they were selling out as fast as they could get them in. So I'd say that there is a market for them.

You're an exception to where a $200 is not a big deal to where you can use them all over your house. The term "Fantasyland pricing" was used appropriately to describe a $200 light bulb.

bigcat318
Mar 11, 2013, 10:40 AM
To be fair, the light bulbs are 60 bucks a piece. The starter kit is 200. So it is not a '200 dollar light bulb'.

rdlink
Mar 11, 2013, 10:45 AM
You're an exception to where a $200 is not a big deal to where you can use them all over your house. The term "Fantasyland pricing" was used appropriately to describe a $200 light bulb.

They're not $200 light bulbs. The starter kit, which includes three light bulbs and the networking hub costs $199. The individual light bulbs are $50 each.

Getting your facts straight/doing some research will help with credibility.

rturner2
Mar 11, 2013, 10:46 AM
Please start shipping in Australia and with the bayonet light fitting.

I want to buy!!

spazzcat
Mar 11, 2013, 12:10 PM

While they are $50 a bulb, I don't understand why people don't understand new tech costs a lot. New tech doesn't happened by magic, there is a high upfront cost to the company and as they recoup these cost the price comes down...

Intarweb
Mar 11, 2013, 12:17 PM
They're not $200 light bulbs. The starter kit, which includes three light bulbs and the networking hub costs $199. The individual light bulbs are $50 each.

Getting your facts straight/doing some research will help with credibility.

My mistake. It doesn't change anything I said. They're still 50 times the cost of a regular light bulb and are nothing more than a luxury item so people talk about how much they spent on a light bulb and show it off to their friends... And I guess not so obviously brag about it on forums.

LePigeonBleu
Mar 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
these suckers can last 15 years! i love that. what i don't love is the brightness of just one. I've been forced to purchase one (in addition to the starter kit) because of the dim lighting, even though before i only needed 3 60 watt bulbs.

with that said, i don't care that i need to buy more. they are more energy efficient, last longer than a regular bulb, and are a hell of a lot of fun!

my birthday is coming up on the 21st, and i know what my buddies and family are going to do for me... get me BULBS! i hope........ :confused:

m

W1LLk
Mar 11, 2013, 12:35 PM
Does anyone who has or understands the system fully, know whether you can install the lights in different rooms and change their colors independently? Or do you need to own multiple starter kits/controllers to have multiple schemes set up? Can you even have more than one controller on a network? I assume they allow you to name them on the network...

Just determining what all I would need or don't need before taking the plunge.

I'm also hoping that maybe some other apps will take the API plunge soon. Wouldn't it be cool if some apps could have a notification trigger a color change? Haha. I think it would be cool if Find My Friends could change the light settings in the house when my wife was in proximity. :rolleyes:

----------

these suckers can last 15 years! i love that. what i don't love is the brightness of just one. I've been forced to purchase one (in addition to the starter kit) because of the dim lighting, even though before i only needed 3 60 watt bulbs.

with that said, i don't care that i need to buy more. they are more energy efficient, last longer than a regular bulb, and are a hell of a lot of fun!

my birthday is coming up on the 21st, and i know what my buddies and family are going to do for me... get me BULBS! i hope........ :confused:

m

Are they significantly dimmer? Most traditional fixtures run ~ 40-60 watts. How do these compare? I've seen some LED bulbs at Home Depot that show how they are much lower in wattage, but compare to that of a 40 w bulb.

mdelvecchio
Mar 11, 2013, 01:35 PM
great. both my girlfriend and I love ours. which in itself says a lot - usually she hates tech in the house.

just need brighter bulbs.

and the UI could use some improvement, but what app doesn't...

----------

but he asserted the price is ridiculous, not "to me..." I find the price is fine.

----------

you appear ignorant of the facts -- there is no $200 lightbulb in the Hue system. 200 gets you the bridge and three wifi LED bulbs capable of multiple colors.

----------

My mistake. It doesn't change anything I said. They're still 50 times the cost of a regular light bulb and are nothing more than a luxury item so people talk about how much they spent on a light bulb and show it off to their friends... And I guess not so obviously brag about it on forums.

talk about living in a fantasyland! if you think people like me bought the system to brag then you're living in a delusional world of resentment. it's ok tho. one day when you're older you'll have a house and a salary and find things of value to improve your life. I just know it! never give up.

----------

Does anyone who has or understands the system fully, know whether you can install the lights in different rooms and change their colors independently? Or do you need to own multiple starter kits/controllers to have multiple schemes set up? Can you even have more than one controller on a network? I assume they allow you to name them on the network...

Just determining what all I would need or don't need before taking the plunge.

I'm also hoping that maybe some other apps will take the API plunge soon. Wouldn't it be cool if some apps could have a notification trigger a color change? Haha. I think it would be cool if Find My Friends could change the light settings in the house when my wife was in proximity. :rolleyes:

----------

Are they significantly dimmer? Most traditional fixtures run ~ 40-60 watts. How do these compare? I've seen some LED bulbs at Home Depot that show how they are much lower in wattage, but compare to that of a 40 w bulb.

you can set up bulbs in different rooms and have them operate independently of each other with different colors, or off, etc. you define different schemes, I think they call them recipes.

the bulbs are equiv to 60watt which is pretty dim. I need 100 for my reading lamp in the bedroom...so I use them for living room lights only.

rdlink
Mar 11, 2013, 01:39 PM

And you became prescient enough to know my motivation for buying these, how?

Don't want to get into a whole thing with you here, but "regular" lightbulbs that cost a dollar are going away. Replacements are currently compact fluorescent, and LED. I have done the CF thing, and they suck, for a whole lot of reasons I won't go into now. LED, while costing more initially last much longer than CF, offer a much wider range of colors and temperatures, and are generally more appealing to me. I enjoy the ability to program my lights, and the pleasing environment that they provide.

If you don't think they're worth it, fine. But your insinuation that I bought these just to brag is both insulting and untrue.

Intarweb
Mar 11, 2013, 01:50 PM
great. both my girlfriend and I love ours. which in itself says a lot - usually she hates tech in the house.

just need brighter bulbs.

and the UI could use some improvement, but what app doesn't...

----------

but he asserted the price is ridiculous, not "to me..." I find the price is fine.

----------

you appear ignorant of the facts -- there is no $200 lightbulb in the Hue system. 200 gets you the bridge and three wifi LED bulbs capable of multiple colors.

----------

talk about living in a fantasyland! if you think people like me bought the system to brag then you're living in a delusional world of resentment. it's ok tho. one day when you're older you'll have a house and a salary and find things of value to improve your life. I just know it! never give up.

----------

you can set up bulbs in different rooms and have them operate independently of each other with different colors, or off, etc. you define different schemes, I think they call them recipes.

the bulbs are equiv to 60watt which is pretty dim. I need 100 for my reading lamp in the bedroom...so I use them for living room lights only.

There you go, talking about how much money you make. Thanks for proving my point. :D

9suffix
Mar 11, 2013, 02:55 PM
We replaced all the can lights on the main floor of our town home before the end of the year. They're very cool.

I haven't noticed them being dim. In our place, they exactly replaced the original flood lights. However, I wish they would dim to a lower level.

I'm looking forward to new apps!

rdlink
Mar 11, 2013, 03:11 PM
There you go, talking about how much money you make. Thanks for proving my point. :D

Purely childish.

j_maddison
Mar 11, 2013, 03:22 PM
Yes they do. Most UK shops sell both bayonet and screw-in bulbs. I have both in my house (unfortunately).

Ps, one advantage of being in the UK is you can use 'pants' in the UK sense and have it read in the much tamer USA sense by the mods here :)

No they don't. As far as I can tell, Phillips don't make a bayonet fitting Hue bulb and Apple are still the sole distributor of the product in the UK.

Edit: apologies, Apple aren't the sole distributor anymore. Although I still can't find any reference to a bayonet Hue bulb.

More and more UK fittings are screw fit these days. You can thank Ikea for that.

Sadly not the ceiling lights I have in my house

These lights work fine in the UK, just google b22 to e27 adapter. And as also noted in other post you can get both pendant and lamps with screw caps in the UK.

Thank you, that's very informative and useful. Appreciate it.

Spinnetti
Mar 11, 2013, 03:41 PM
So one interesting point I didn't see skimming through is that go to any retailer and buy an LED lightbulb... I went to Lowes/Home Depot, and they were $50 for an "ordinary" LED lightbulb, so these seem like quite a deal really..... I'd like to get some, but not sure I really have a use case for them. Maybe in the kitchen where we have 6 floods they might pay off....by the end of their 20 years....

bigcat318
Mar 11, 2013, 04:06 PM
Is the 60watt brightness the standard for LED bulbs? Im wondering if they will come out with brighter ones in the future. Most of the bulbs I use in lamps now are 100watt or equivalent.

x-evil-x
Mar 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
Please start shipping in Australia and with the bayonet light fitting.

I want to buy!!

ill buy however many you want and ship them to you. for a small fee of course :D