PDA

View Full Version : Aspyr's Universal Binaries Experience: Bringing Games to In...

MacBytes
Oct 18, 2005, 02:36 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Aspyr's Universal Binaries Experience: Bringing Games to Intel-based Macs (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051018033605)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Sdashiki
Oct 18, 2005, 09:41 AM
Dont matter to me.

I have never liked Aspyrs customer service.

Their updates, which every game they ever ported needs, are months behind when they should be available and emailing them brings you only automated replies about stuff you tried 100s of times.

When I bought Medal of Honor and the expansion refused to open on my mac, just open and quit (no crashed window), I asked aspyr about it. They had nothing to tell me. So I basically returned the game (yes opened, but if you bitch to CompUsa you can get store credit, which I sold to a friend of mine for cash).

So Aspyr, though obviously doing something right with U binaries, will NOT be any better than they are now. I love their ports, but what good is a port that crashes!

nagromme
Oct 18, 2005, 11:10 AM
Sorry to hear you bought one game, found one serious bug, and had to return the game before they located and patched the bug (assuming the game was at fault--very possible). That would be frustrating, but at least you got your money back.

But that anecdote aside, I've been very happy with Aspyr, and they're one of the good guys of Mac gaming, bringing us a LOT of fun stuff. (Alice!)

It's good to see Doom on the list, because I want Quake IV running on my first Intel Mac :)

UT2004 is coming to Intel Macs too :D That game is an endless platform for free add-ons. Free new games for life, in essence. A must-have.

I've heard about a lot of older games being ported to Intel Macs. I think that's great. They COULD have been abandoned, but they're fun and I want them!

SiliconAddict
Oct 18, 2005, 02:43 PM
Hmmm not to get paranoid but I’d rather read about developer’s transition experiences from somewhere OTHER then Apple’s website.

On another note. I've got several friends who exclusively own Macs who are about to kill me in a jealous rage because I'm going to be sporting Civilization IV in about one week. This game has me drooling to an extent that no other game has in a long time.
Here's hoping being on the same architecture will aid in parallel releases because god know this has to drive some Mac users nuts.

Nermal
Oct 18, 2005, 03:37 PM
I have never liked Aspyrs customer service.

They called me a pirate once :eek:

solvs
Oct 18, 2005, 04:37 PM
On another note. I've got several friends who exclusively own Macs who are about to kill me in a jealous rage because I'm going to be sporting Civilization IV in about one week.
I'm not a gamer, but if I was, I would have a PC for it. Macs are great and all, and I'm sure there are some good games for the platform, but that's just not it's strong suit. Maybe the Intel transition will help, but for now I've got my PS2 and some old-school emulators if I ever feel the gaming itch.

How well does Linux do with gaming, because that would be a good test to see what Apple's potential could be?

Eric5h5
Oct 18, 2005, 09:52 PM
How well does Linux do with gaming, because that would be a good test to see what Apple's potential could be?

Not really, because the culture of Linux users is to not want to pay for any software at all, including games. This is proven by a couple of post-2000 Amiga ports of PC games outselling Linux versions of the same games, even though the Amiga market was, what, about 10,000 times smaller.

Anyway, the answer is: very badly. Much worse than current Mac gaming. However, there are things like WINE and Cedega (more or less the same program) that allow the playing of some Windows games in Linux. Yes, there's already been rumbles of an OS X version of Cedega running on x86 Macs.

--Eric

solvs
Oct 19, 2005, 01:36 AM
Anyway, the answer is: very badly.
Actually, I just meant how well does it work. I know Linux users don't like paying for stuff, go opensource and all that. I just mean that I don't know how well the games themselves run. If Linux on x86 runs ok, should be better for OS X. Theoretically, I guess.

I don't really care, but probably should, because I know it will be better for Apple if people who like gaming can game.

Sdashiki
Oct 19, 2005, 10:27 AM
They called me a pirate once :eek:

I swear thats what they thought I was when I told them the problem I was having with some games, imcuding the Sims and MoH: Spearhead.

Like they put some failsafe into the program that when it does "this" it is pirated?

I hate Aspyr, why cant companies like Blizzard just make a mac version? Ports suck ass, always have, too little way to late, always.

Quake 3 was Mac only at first, to show off Opengl, then after 1.32 they stopped supporting mac? WTF?