PDA

View Full Version : Core Audio default audio output system on MacBook Pros?

jykim0806
Mar 12, 2013, 01:35 AM
Hi, I've been using Foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin output, and since I wanted to listen bit perfect with my Mac just like WASAPI, I did some research and found out that Apple has their own built-in plugin, which basically does everything for you(?) and recommended using it. and I downloaded a program called Cog to listen to FLAC codec, is this the best I can get close to Foobar2000 and WASAPI? and when I went to system preferences for Cog, the only Output that I could select was the default Built-in output. Is this Apple's Core Audio output?:apple:

benwiggy
Mar 12, 2013, 02:56 AM
CoreAudio is the technology: the part of the OS software that controls audio.

Built-in Output is ... the built-in audio output device.

What are you trying to do? "Listen bit perfect"...? I don't know what that means. Somewhere down the line, there's going to be a conversion from digital signal to analogue for the speakers. You can't listen "bit perfect". Not to mention Nyquist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_frequency#Audio).

jykim0806
Mar 12, 2013, 05:22 PM
CoreAudio is the technology: the part of the OS software that controls audio.

Built-in Output is ... the built-in audio output device.

What are you trying to do? "Listen bit perfect"...? I don't know what that means. Somewhere down the line, there's going to be a conversion from digital signal to analogue for the speakers. You can't listen "bit perfect". Not to mention Nyquist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_frequency#Audio).

Well, what I want to do is listen to a song as close to the bit perfect as possible. I used foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin(I dunno if this is driver or not) which did job like that. Is there any driver/program that allows me play songs like this?

benwiggy
Mar 13, 2013, 04:15 AM
Well, what I want to do is listen to a song as close to the bit perfect as possible. I used foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin(I dunno if this is driver or not) which did job like that.
Foobar2000, as far as I can see, is just an audio player. WASAPI is the Windows audio driver.

A google search of "Bit Perfect" reveals you mean that the audio file and the OS have the same sample rate. So open the Audio MIDI Setup application (in the Utilities folder), and change the sample rate of the OS to that of your file (presumably 44.1, if it came from a CD.)