PDA

View Full Version : Moto ROKR dissapointment

Sol
Oct 18, 2005, 07:48 AM
I was shopping for my first mobile phone today and being a long-time Apple user I went looking for the ROKR iTunes phone. Sure, it is not the prettiest phone in its price range but I thought it would have the functionality to make up for it.

I found the demo unit very flimsy. The buttons did not feel responsive at all and there were too many of them; reminded me of the Media Centre remotes Steve Jobs compared to the Apple Remote last week. That silver thumb-stick is also very small and uncomfortable to use. Apart from the new iTunes button and software it looks like the phone has the same design, specifications and features as the previous ROKR, which comes in black and costs a little over half the price. Worse of all, the new ROKR comes with a 32 MB memory card; that is enough to be an insult to anyone buying it for its music capabilities.

Did Motorola get cold feet about working with Apple? They have better designed phones that would have done justice to the iTunes software but somehow the ROKR got it first. It seems like they are using Apple to give a dull product some positive spin.

I did not buy the phone. I might buy a Motorola V220 because it is cheap and works with iSync. When Motorola produces the real iTunes phone I might upgrade but from here it looks like they have a long way to go.