PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Hands Out iPads With Access to Streamed In-Flight Entertainment

MacRumors
Mar 12, 2013, 09:58 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/12/qantas-hands-out-ipads-with-access-to-streamed-in-flight-entertainment/)

Australian airline Qantas is handing out iPads with access to its Wi-Fi-streamed in-flight entertainment service Q Streaming, reports AFP (http://www.hindustantimes.com/Travel/Chunk-HT-UI-TravelSectionPage-TravelStories/Qantas-offers-passengers-their-own-iPad/Article1-1025028.aspx) (via AppleInsider (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/12/qantas-airline-to-provide-passengers-apple-ipads-for-in-flight-entertainment)).

The iPad-based service (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/wireless-inflight-entertainment/au/en) was first tested on a single 767 in 2011, offering streaming access to over 200 hours of movies, TV shows and music, and is now being introduced on its 767 flights operating between Sydney and Honolulu. Later updates will introduce interactive games, digital newspapers, magazines as well as travel and business apps.Our inflight entertainment programs are stored on a content server with over 18 times the storage capacity of a 64GB tablet.

These programs are streamed wirelessly to Wi-Fi enabled devices via six wireless access points installed along the aircraft's ceiling.

No other aircraft in Australia is fitted with this technology. You can now choose from a library of TV and audio content never before available to the Australian domestic traveller.

The Q Streaming iPad available in your seat pocket will automatically connect to the wireless network when you turn it on.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/profile_hero_eva_airways-800x452.jpg
While the move might sound expensive, the reality is that tablet-based entertainment may save money. A report last year in USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2012/12/20/will-ipads-revolutionize-in-flight-entertainment/1782809/) observed that traditional seat-back entertainment systems can cost $3 million or more per plane, with the figure rising dramatically for the recently-introduced A380 double-decker.Emirates Airline, for example, spends an average of $15,000 per seat on embedded screens. For an Airbus A380 with 517 seats, the total cost to install seat-back monitors would be approximately $7.8 million. And that doesn't include the content.

"It is the most expensive thing after the engines," says Patrick Brannelly, vice president of product, publishing, digital and events for Emirates. "It is a ginormous investment by the airline. But it's one that's paid off, because the airline has done very well."

Seat-back entertainment systems are also heavy, increasing fuel usage. Rob Fyfe, CEO of Air New Zealand, says that every pound of weight on board an airliner costs the airline $200 a year in fuel. Tablets are significantly lighter.Seatback entertainment costs have further increased as screen sizes have grown larger in premium cabins, with the typical 12-inch screens in Economy growing to 20-inch in Business and 27-inch in First. Airlines have increasingly been introducing tablets into the entertainment mix, with British Airways, El Al and American Airlines all using them. Most have so far limited their tablet offerings to premium cabins, however, while Qantas will be handing out iPads in Economy also.

Mary Kirby, editor-in-chief of the Airline Passenger Experience Association magazine, says she expects any move away from setback systems to be a gradual one. The idea of buying aircraft without them is, she says, "almost like buying a car without a radio."

Article Link: Qantas Hands Out iPads With Access to Streamed In-Flight Entertainment (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/12/qantas-hands-out-ipads-with-access-to-streamed-in-flight-entertainment/)

Tilpots
Mar 12, 2013, 10:00 AM
That "buying a car without a radio" quote us coming soon to a dealership near you.

Digitalclips
Mar 12, 2013, 10:01 AM
I'd rather have an iPad any day. This is a no brainier for all airlines.

levitynyc
Mar 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
Makes sense. It's like rear seat entertainment options in my car.

I can pay 3 grand or so for the headrest system or just buy a couple of iPads for the kids.

You also have the added benefit of Internet use, portability, and the ability to resell them later.

needfx
Mar 12, 2013, 10:05 AM
seems like they will also need genius bars on-board

r2shyyou
Mar 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
Emirates Airline, for example, spends an average of $15,000 per seat on embedded screens. For an Airbus A380 with 517 seats, the total cost to install seat-back monitors would be approximately $7.8 million. And that doesn't include the content.

:eek:

Looks like the Long Arm of the Law US Healthcare industry has made its way to the Air Travel industry...

ctdonath
Mar 12, 2013, 10:08 AM
Let me second that... $15,000 per seat on embedded screens:eek:

r2shyyou
Mar 12, 2013, 10:10 AM

They've already thought of that (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/28/apple-introduces-three-new-mac-ads-during-olympics-opening-ceremonies/)! :D

0LyIwJgQlsc

ctdonath
Mar 12, 2013, 10:12 AM
That "buying a car without a radio" quote us coming soon to a dealership near you.
Yup. From http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=2626719&spid=24698 "AM and FM are being eliminated from the dash of two car companies within two years and will be eliminated from the dash of all cars within five years."
I just want a car stereo with good Bluetooth support.

notjustjay
Mar 12, 2013, 10:16 AM
Install iPad minis into the seatbacks. Problem solved.

I flew Cathay Pacific on a long-haul flight from Toronto to Hong Kong last year, and the seatback entertainment system was much improved over what it was the last time I went, which was in the late 90's. Even still, it was a bit laggy and glitched out now and then. We've come a long, long way in user interface development over the years. One thing I did like was the ability to call up the nose-camera so you could see what the pilots were seeing.

But don't even get me started on Air Canada's system. Beyond atrocious!

inlinevolvo
Mar 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
I can't wait for the airlines to adjust ticket prices by weight. Let the hilarity ensue!

----------

:eek:

Looks like the Long Arm of the Law US Healthcare industry has made its way to the Air Travel industry...

Nice jab! High five! The only problem is that Emirates Arilines does not operate under US law.

r2shyyou
Mar 12, 2013, 10:30 AM
Nice jab! High five! The only problem is that Emirates Arilines does not operate under US law.

I know, I know, it was a stretch. ;)

whooleytoo
Mar 12, 2013, 10:36 AM
Interesting idea. There would be some challenges - can they 'lock down' the iPads so people don't install a lot of junk on them, or fill them with lots of photos/videos, or delete apps? Will device theft be a problem?

Even ergonomics might be an issue, a screen on the seat in front of you is a lot more comfortable than a screen on your lap, although presumably they'll provide some way of attaching to the seat in front.

snoopjonny
Mar 12, 2013, 10:54 AM
How do they keep people from taking them home with them?

notjustjay
Mar 12, 2013, 11:04 AM
Interesting idea. There would be some challenges - can they 'lock down' the iPads so people don't install a lot of junk on them, or fill them with lots of photos/videos, or delete apps? Will device theft be a problem?

Even ergonomics might be an issue, a screen on the seat in front of you is a lot more comfortable than a screen on your lap, although presumably they'll provide some way of attaching to the seat in front.

Perhaps they are tethered for recharging and audio output.

As for app deletion, installation, etc., I assume that they could have some custom software that prevents you from exiting the in-flight entertainment app, and if the on-board wifi is solely to stream provided content, and not offer general internet access, then app installation isn't possible either.

SmileyBlast!
Mar 12, 2013, 11:34 AM
Collecting the iPads at the end of the flight might not be so easy. :cool:

Someone could pretend they don't speak English and walk off the plane with it.:)

I pay flight! I keep this now. Me late. Got Go!

winston1236
Mar 12, 2013, 12:07 PM

American airlines is going with samsung.

Donald.
Mar 12, 2013, 12:16 PM

Someone could pretend they don't speak English and walk off the plane with it.:)
Don't hand them out. Place them where the current system is - attached to the seat and constantly plugged in. This way you don't need chargers and they can't take it away.

I actually like this idea as it would provide for a much more responsive enterntaining system with higher display quality.

Vip
Mar 12, 2013, 12:21 PM

Very patriotic don't you think :rolleyes:

charlituna
Mar 12, 2013, 12:26 PM
Mary Kirby, editor-in-chief of the Airline Passenger Experience Association magazine, says she expects any move away from setback systems to be a gradual one. The idea of buying aircraft without them is, she says, "almost like buying a car without a radio."

I don't think it will be as gradual as she thinks. At least not in countries that have an iTunes store. If they can get the content it would be a cakewalk to make the switch right away. Likely starting with new planes and those they are remodeling for whatever reason. They wouldn't even have to buy enough ipads for all passengers. Many will have their own. They would just need a way to validate those folks into the network to use the content. I've seen such things at Starbucks so it can be done.

Airlines might even create apps that allow folks to page a flight attendant, order a drink, perhaps even add their name to a list for a bathroom. Imagine not having folks standing around etc to go pee cause they could add their name to a list and when a bathroom is available they get a 'your turn' notification on the screen and they take care of business. All sorts of things could be done.

----------

not really. 50% of issues are software that can be fixed with a reboot. Another 30 or so with a restore. Keep like 10-12 extra units in standby to swap out for those units so the passenger can keep doing whatever.

----------

They could go with the more kid friendly sized iPad Mini and save even more space for storage of the units when not in use. And money

ryuok
Mar 12, 2013, 12:29 PM
All these years we were told to keep wi-fi switched off or the aircraft falls from the sky. :rolleyes:

charlituna
Mar 12, 2013, 12:30 PM
Install iPad minis into the seatbacks. Problem solved.

why install an ipad mini into a position where it can't be comfortably used. to really work it needs to be held in hand.

Really not that hard for a system to be created where the attendants can mark which seats have borrowed an iPad and when it comes time to prep for landing they check them back in and put them away. put them in some kind of rolling rack with an ipad mounted on the top to tap in and out.

Rajani Isa
Mar 12, 2013, 12:32 PM
Yup. From http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=2626719&spid=24698
I just want a car stereo with good Bluetooth support.

Sounds kind of dangerous. Half the reason to have AM radio is for when you want to check the emergency weather channel.

charlituna
Mar 12, 2013, 12:36 PM

1. restricted profiles could be created to prevent use of camera etc.

2. this would be in flight wifi connecting to an onboard server (think home sharing type stuff) not necessarily connected to the real world

3. check out system to show who has iPads etc.

----------

hard to take one home if they refuse to open the cabin doors because one of their ipads is missing. And i'll bet they have something in the terms of use that might allow such tactics. Not to mention they would have find my iPad or something similar in play so they could force a missing unit to make a sound and tell them who tried to steal it.

----------

Don't hand them out. Place them where the current system is - attached to the seat and constantly plugged in. This way you don't need chargers and they can't take it away.

I actually like this idea as it would provide for a much more responsive enterntaining system with higher display quality.

so you advocate assuming people are thieves as well as disregarding the usefulness of the ipad as anything more than a TV screen. if the airlines were thinking like that then they'd likely stick with the built in displays.

----------

All these years we were told to keep wi-fi switched off or the aircraft falls from the sky. :rolleyes:

That's only during take off and landing and the attendants won't likely be handing out these ipads until the plane is at flight level. And taking them back before landing as they will have other duties to attend to during those two periods.

so not really an issue

Tankmaze
Mar 12, 2013, 12:40 PM
spends an average of $15,000 per seat on embedded screens.

Whattt?? 15 hundred grand, what is the screen made out of ? Unicorn tears?
Deploying iPad seems a no brainer solution. Good for airline and customers.

notjustjay
Mar 12, 2013, 12:57 PM

I can't speak for the $15,000 quote, but I do work in a related industry. That $15K is of course the "all in" price which includes labor and installation. It probably means the LCD display itself plus the wiring to some kind of back end controller, network, the audio system, possibly including the custom plastic pieces to mount the screen into the seatback, a bezel, etc. I would imagine the labor costs -- design, custom fab, install, testing, maintenance -- adds up. It could also include the cost of the in-service-support contract, which could go for, say, 10 years after installation.

The companies that sell these things sell them in the thousands of units, not millions of units like iPads and DVD players. So there's some cost increases due to lower volumes of parts.

Also, these might not just be regular LCD panels like the DVD players you buy at Walmart. Maybe they need protective coverings so they don't shatter all over the place in the event of a crash or impact.

Finally, there's airworthiness certification. That can't be cheap.

joueboy
Mar 12, 2013, 01:00 PM
Same reason I told the car dealer when I bought my mini van. I told him that I can buy 2 iPads and still cheaper than paying premium for the entertainment system. GPS and entertainment system should be standard on all vehicles by now. They can be profitable if they start charging us content or data comsumption instead. That's the very reason the car industry sales went down because of the bs features they try to sell and then it gets outdated in few months. I'm glad airline is heading this direction and it's good for their customers.

Tankmaze
Mar 12, 2013, 01:13 PM
I can't speak for the $15,000 quote, but I do work in a related industry. That $15K is of course the "all in" price which includes labor and installation. It probably means the LCD display itself plus the wiring to some kind of back end controller, network, the audio system, possibly including the custom plastic pieces to mount the screen into the seatback, a bezel, etc. I would imagine the labor costs -- design, custom fab, install, testing, maintenance -- adds up. It could also include the cost of the in-service-support contract, which could go for, say, 10 years after installation.

The companies that sell these things sell them in the thousands of units, not millions of units like iPads and DVD players. So there's some cost increases due to lower volumes of parts.

Also, these might not just be regular LCD panels like the DVD players you buy at Walmart. Maybe they need protective coverings so they don't shatter all over the place in the event of a crash or impact.

Finally, there's airworthiness certification. That can't be cheap.

ah I see, thanks for the knowledge.
iPad really is a game changer then, not because other tablets can't do it but probably because Apple support, easier to deploy and manage.

thelookingglass
Mar 12, 2013, 01:48 PM

Source? Disappointing if true. Not very "American" of them.

Internaut
Mar 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
Dedicated seat back entertainment systems are expensive and often eat into leg space. Qantas aren't the only airline to do this. On a recent Air Brussels long haul flight, they'd equipped the backs of the economy seats with what looked like custom Android tablets.

macintologist
Mar 12, 2013, 02:21 PM
Why don't they let other iPads connect to that wifi network and stream content? I don't need the Qantas iPad if I have my own.

fruitpunch.ben
Mar 12, 2013, 02:28 PM
Same reason I told the car dealer when I bought my mini van. I told him that I can buy 2 iPads and still cheaper than paying premium for the entertainment system. GPS and entertainment system should be standard on all vehicles by now. They can be profitable if they start charging us content or data comsumption instead. That's the very reason the car industry sales went down because of the bs features they try to sell and then it gets outdated in few months. I'm glad airline is heading this direction and it's good for their customers.

Exactly. It used to be normal to pay $1000+ for a dvd player and tiny 5" screen in your car. Now of course, that's a no-brainer, for that price you can buy an iPad mini each for your spouse and 2 kids and get 50 times the use out of it. For $20 each you can still mount the things on headrests so that your kids don't have unlimited access to it, and you're golden. Car audio companies need to change strategies fast, or they're gonna go out of business.
Nowadays, all we need in our cars are a holder for iPhone, bluetooth or MFi connection to an amp, and good quality speakers.

Good to see the airlines taking the same approach, since they're usually rather slow at adopting new technology. I fly back to Australia every few years, and everytime it strikes me how bad the onboard entertainment system is. Attrocious screens, not to mention how bad the movie selection is. If I'm careful, my iPad can last a 15 hour flight, given some breaks for meals, take-off, landing, and maybe a short nap.

thespyder
Mar 12, 2013, 03:54 PM
I was on one of these planes from Brisbane to Sydney a couple of weeks ago :)

The iPads aren't tethered. They're in the seat pocket in front of you with the in-flight magazine.

They come in a strong plastic case that has warnings about an alarm if you attempt to leave the plane with it (I'm assuming RFID or similar). The case has a screen cover with magnets so it auto unlocks.

The seat back screen is replaced with a cloth loop for the iPad case screen cover so you can mount the iPad where a screen would normally go. Regular earphones are provided for the iPad along with optional headphones for the standard seat radio (can't use the iPad during take off or landing).

The iPad itself is locked to safari, home button doesn't work. I guess iOS has a kiosk mode? The in flight system is all run through a website using QuickTime streaming.

It's standard wifi, I could see the network names on my Air but they're all password protected.

All in all it works really well. However I don't think they'll be able to sell "please disable wifi on your laptop" anymore :)

Happy to answer any other questions.

UnfetteredMind
Mar 12, 2013, 04:06 PM
I was on one of these planes from Brisbane to Sydney a couple of weeks ago :)

The iPads aren't tethered. They're in the seat pocket in front of you with the in-flight magazine.

They come in a strong plastic case that has warnings about an alarm if you attempt to leave the plane with it (I'm assuming RFID or similar). The case has a screen cover with magnets so it auto unlocks.

The seat back screen is replaced with a cloth loop for the iPad case screen cover so you can mount the iPad where a screen would normally go. Regular earphones are provided for the iPad along with optional headphones for the standard seat radio (can't use the iPad during take off or landing).

The iPad itself is locked to safari, home button doesn't work. I guess iOS has a kiosk mode? The in flight system is all run through a website using QuickTime streaming.

It's standard wifi, I could see the network names on my Air but they're all password protected.

All in all it works really well. However I don't think they'll be able to sell "please disable wifi on your laptop" anymore :)

Happy to answer any other questions.

Any provided way to charge? If not, I wonder how they handle that.

samh004
Mar 12, 2013, 04:44 PM
I can't wait for the airlines to adjust ticket prices by weight. Let the hilarity ensue![COLOR="#808080"]

Would probably be called discrimination, though would approve myself as my tickets would suddenly become very good value :)

While there's wifi, there's no internet connection, so there's no downloading of apps.

As above, there is a device on them that looks like it could be alarmed and/or traced.

I pay flight! I keep this now. Me late. Got Go!

Each iPad is in the seat pocket in front of you.

Any provided way to charge? If not, I wonder how they handle that.

Unfortunately not.

The original concept was an app, but this seems to have been ditched in favour of using Safari. This does mean that you can BYO iPad. When you connect to the wifi point, and there are a few, it'll redirect you to the right webpage, made to look like you're in an app.

Recent reports I've read is that it's set for the iPad's resolution, so browsing on an iPhone leads to a strange view of the buttons, as the res doesn't match.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/wireless-inflight-entertainment/au/en

Information about the pilot in 2011, http://www.qantas.com.au/img/pdf/qstreaming-faqs.pdf

Overall, a little disappointed in this news story, not only is it incredibly old news (I flew in VH-OGH last year!), the picture isn't even related.

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 12, 2013, 05:03 PM
Great now you can facetime with other passengers on the plane. Why use a full fledged iPad and then restrict 95% of it's useful features? Unless they purchase "dumb-down" versions with cameras removed, minimal memory etc.

If they're so concerned with cost, why no go with a cheaper tablet other than Apple since all it will do is stream content from their own servers. That would further reduce costs by at least 50% I'm sure of.

ConCat
Mar 12, 2013, 05:14 PM
Mary Kirby you say?
http://images.wikia.com/kirby/en/images/5/5f/KRtDL_Kirby_hi2.png

KiwiAdventure
Mar 12, 2013, 05:32 PM
This news is so old. It goes back well into last year. Their must be not much Apple new product news around. Apple must have controlled their leaks.:eek:

Bobiz192
Mar 12, 2013, 06:40 PM
This news is old, I have been on both the test flights of this and the current system. The test flights used a mdm provider to manage and a custom app to run. After they changed to using safari performance is no where near as good. Also I would like to point out they are ipad + cellular(as least ones on the test flight) no clue why they would get these.

buysp
Mar 12, 2013, 07:03 PM
Well Done Qantas, you have just extended the life of your 15-20 year old Boeing 767's for another 5 years or so. I used to catch them for about 5 years between Manila and Sydney and the inflight entertainment was usally 1big screen in economy. This is a step forward.

albusseverus
Mar 12, 2013, 10:14 PM
We all know why we'd recommend iPad.

But I'd loooooove to know why Qantas didn't go for Kindle Fire or Playbook or some burner tablet, given the limited use cases.

Don't tell me cheaper isn't necessarily less expensiveÖ :eek:

JAT
Mar 12, 2013, 11:44 PM
Plus, Rain Man likes Qantas, too. And now iPads. Everything's coming up roses.

ezekielrage_99
Mar 13, 2013, 01:06 AM
Just recently finished a contract on the UX for QANTAS and Emirates for UX/UI design for their in-flight systems, I'm calling it dead on arrival due to most users I validated this with bring either a laptop, tablet or both on the typical flights they intend using this service on.

Where the airline sees the benefit is reducing the capex cost compared to ICE, reducing maintenance costs (if an iPad breaks, swap it compared to replacing a seat) and enabling the airline to claw back the in-flight ad-rev market they have been loosing on since 08.

This is not well done QANTAS, rather why did this take so fricken long to see this is a far better option because they have been loosing revenue for in-flight entertainment systems?

MattInOz
Mar 13, 2013, 01:12 AM

Apple Configurator on the Mac App store lets you lock down corporate/retail/educational iPad deploys like this one. All you need is a Mac and a stack of USB hubs and cables.

SoldOnApple
Mar 13, 2013, 02:50 AM

For the entire seat I think it must be, but the screens must add a lot to the cost, and also needing the expensive screen there must get in the way of easier upgrades to the seats in terms of comfort and style, you are stuck with the 15k screen seat because it's too expensive to replace.

bÍte noire
Mar 13, 2013, 03:15 AM
An article on Qantas-issued iPads is decorated with a picture from Eva Airways of Taiwan. Close enough eh, MacRumors, since they're all airline hosties? Next time you run a story on the iPhone maybe you can illustrate it with a picture of a Samsung Galaxy. Close enough, they're all phones.

Mikey7c8
Mar 13, 2013, 10:43 AM
I've used this, it's pretty ******.

It's a nice idea don't get me wrong, but the implementation sucks.

Speed to load a video was pretty terrible, (like, oh i'll read the paper for a bit while it figures it out) and there were other teething problems.

I suspect using wifi for that amount of content bandwidth is just asking for trouble.

thespyder
Mar 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
tbh the speed wasn't too bad for me (although I only poked around one or two videos before switching to my MBA). From what I could see around me, people picked one thing and stuck to it - so the speed to load individual videos was largely irrelevant.

Maintaining charge will be interesting on longer flights. The iPad will easily last multiple short trips, but an 18 hour flight? I guess those flights tend to include USB ports in the seat so they'd just need a cable.

Battery life and marketing is my guess at why they picked iPads over something cheaper.

macman312
Jul 4, 2013, 08:57 AM
Tried this out on a flight on Tuesday and it was absolutely fantastic. Only thing I didn't like was that you can't easily watch and eat at the same time however looking on the website looks like you can somehow hook the iPad onto the seat back apart from that it was excellent!!

Mikey7c8
Jul 4, 2013, 12:12 PM
Tried this out on a flight on Tuesday and it was absolutely fantastic. Only thing I didn't like was that you can't easily watch and eat at the same time however looking on the website looks like you can somehow hook the iPad onto the seat back apart from that it was excellent!!

Tis true, you can. I however don't rate them but each to their own ;)

thespyder
Jul 4, 2013, 03:16 PM
They really should explain it somewhere :)

On the seat back in front of you is a little flap velcroed down with a sign that says something like for iPad only. If you lift it up, you'll find it's sticking to a strip of fabric sewn at either end to the chair, making a loop just wide enough for an iPad.

The front cover of the iPad is heavy enough that if you slide it through the loop, the iPad stays there as if it were an in flight entertainment screen. Then re-attach the flap using the velcro just to make sure it doesn't move.