Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Hey guys so, I just bought this stylus and love it, by far the best stylus I've tried.
I've read from other owners that it skips, in other works when you draw a line it breaks it and leaves a gap.
I had this problem last night, infrequently but I'm crazy, anything that isn't perfect that I can try to perfect I will try to do, so I read up more about it.
People were saying that they would contact Adonit and get a replacement disc which fixed the problem for awhile.

I have a simpler solution. The reason for the skipping is because the disc magnet is disconnecting from the ball point shaft on the end. So I end that disconnection, I put a conductive thermal paste inside the swivel.

It still works perfectly, have been doodling all day and haven't seen a single skip, and the disc isn't entirely floppy like it was without the grease. It's probably easier on the magnet to, iunno.

Now I think this was genius...but I'm probably just a blithering idiot. I used a small amount of AS5 thermal grease which I've used in desktop and laptop builds. Now I know what you're going to say "Arctic Silver 5 doesn't conduct electricity!"
Aha! Well the Arctic Silver 5's website says this:

"Artic Silver 5 is formulated to conduct heat, not electricity. While safer than other copper or silver thermal greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electric traces, pins and leads. While AS5 is not electrically conductive, it is slightly capitative and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close proximity electrical paths."

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

By this warning alone I felt this grease would be a perfect material. Silver is an incredible conductor if electricity and while the ball tip and the disc are in such close proximity I believed that the particles would make a successful bridge.
Any way guys, this has worked for me, if you have this stylus and want to give it some new life.
:)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Putting tin foil or conductors has been the solution already all over the web. You do have to be careful that you don't put too much and make the point end look too big that it blocks the view. If you are under warranty just ask for the replacement too. :cool:

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
I was an original kickstarter backer of the adonit jot. I've tried all the remedies. None have worked. Why would a manufacturer continue to sell (and consumers buy) a stylus that is well known to have these issues? Why would the manufacturer not do the "fix" themselves prior to sale?

I gave up and bought an iFaraday, the best stylus IMO.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
Some people need a stylus that is more accurate than a stick with a small sponge on the end.

Just stating my experience. iFaraday may seem odd, but it works great. I've tried quite a few styli in the past couple years and haven't found a better one.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
I find out about solution that Commy1 use and I work perfectly!! I love my Adonit Jot Pro!!

I'm glad it worked :)
Update: It's still working perfectly. I've been drawing a lot lately (I guess it's just one of those phases) and not a single skip. So far so good.

----------

Just stating my experience. iFaraday may seem odd, but it works great. I've tried quite a few styli in the past couple years and haven't found a better one.

Interesting choice, as stated I love the hard tip stylus's (styly?) for drawing, that stylus and many others are bulky, not to mention the yucky material most are made of. That one seems odd, I'd be afraid of the fabric just falling apart on me, like the soft side on old velcro.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
The hand stylus is the best IMO. Also IMO the jot is the absolute worst.

Richenda

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
Since this thread shows up in Google searches for Adonit Jot Pro not working, I wanted to add my fix for posterity.
Cleaning the tip didn't work, nor did adding foil. I didn't want to buy thermal conductivity paste because I didn't want to spend money on something that only 'might' work, nor wait several days for delivery. So I googled home alternatives to thermal conductivity paste and nappy rash cream came up!! We have some Sudocrem in the house, and it worked! The zinc oxide in it offers conductivity. Another home alternative was toothpaste with vaseline. Good luck all.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Because of all the good reviews, I bought one a couple of months ago, the thing didn't work at all.
Couldn't even tap an icon to open an app.
Returned it and went for my second GoSmart.
Yep, very smart choice :)

Reactions: mcvite

Richenda

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
Because of all the good reviews, I bought one a couple of months ago, the thing didn't work at all.
Couldn't even tap an icon to open an app.
Returned it and went for my second GoSmart.
Yep, very smart choice :)
Thanks for that recommendation. It didn't come up in all the stylus review articles I researched. Sadly the cheap ones (£7) are out of stock on Amazon. But I'll add it to my wish list.

I'm sorry about your experience with the Adonit. I really hate returning stuff. Such a huge inconvenience. I'm glad I found a way to get it to work again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.