Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Sorry if this is too much of a newbie question but how do you burn a video to a dvd so that when the person inserts the disk on to their optical drive it automatically plays, like an actual dvd.

From some research I know you can drag and drop or go to file>export to dvd but none exports the video to automatically play when first inserted. Also I was looking into dvd burner but read that idvd doesn't come with the new OS.

What do you think? Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Simply burning a video to DVD will not make it a video DVD, as video DVDs need to be authored and adhere to a standard structure and format.

Since iDVD is no longer included with Macs and you probably do not have it, if you bought your Mac with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on it, you can try Burn:

How to burn a video DVD in [URL="http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html"]Burn[/URL]:
example below uses an .avi file, but it can also be applied to an .mp4 or .mov file

BURN_video-dvd_1.png

BURN_video-dvd_2.png

BURN_video-dvd_3.png

BURN_video-dvd_4.png

As for the autostart feature, if it is a proper video DVD, the Menu or Title (video) will play automatically.

And before burning via Burn, also take a look at its Preferences > Video > DVD.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
So I followed the instructions and I'm having a problem. The file that I dragged into Burn isn't compatible so it ask me if I want to convert the file to mpeg2. I tried it and didn't like it(it changes the resolution the file without my control) so I decided to use my own compression/conversion in compressor. I changed it to the same codec and what Burn suggest. Everything works fine and I can continue with the instruction until I press the burn button. After a few seconds of reading the disc and trying to burn the program suddenly crash, this happened more than 5 times in a row. Can't seem to figure why.

Ended up getting toast, worked like a charm.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.