PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox Desktop Client Updated With Improved Notifications and File Sharing

MacRumors
Mar 12, 2013, 02:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/12/dropbox-desktop-client-updated-with-improved-notifications-and-file-sharing/)

Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com) today released an update (https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=97895) for its Mac client, offering a redesigned drop down interface and improved file sharing capabilities.

With version 2.0 of Dropbox, users can share files with one another using a link from the Desktop menu. File sharing notifications are sent out in real time, to the desktop application and the iOS app.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/dropbox1.jpgIntroducing a shiny new feature: a new tray popup that combines the old tray menu features with a timeline of the most important sharing events in your Dropbox. For instance, if someone shares a link with you, you can now see it immediately!

Moreover, if someone shares a folder with you, you can now accept or decline the invitation directly from your desktop. Not only are you notified of these events in real time, but you can easily get to them later. Also, files recently edited are made available so you can easily view or share them.The interface has been updated to facilitate the simplified file sharing process, adding the ability to accept or decline invitations to files and folders via the desktop.

Dropbox 2.0.0 is available immediately and can be downloaded for free from the Dropbox website (https://www.dropbox.com/install). Dropbox's iOS app (http://appshopper.com/productivity/dropbox) is expected to be updated later today.

Article Link: Dropbox Desktop Client Updated With Improved Notifications and File Sharing (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/12/dropbox-desktop-client-updated-with-improved-notifications-and-file-sharing/)

anotherarunan
Mar 12, 2013, 02:50 PM
Finally...a much needed update - found myself constantly going to the browser version to get anything but basic file storage done.

mscriv
Mar 12, 2013, 02:51 PM
I wonder if this update will break or negatively affect my use of Dropbox Encore.

Razeus
Mar 12, 2013, 02:55 PM
Does anyone actually pay for this service? I'm thinking about moving my iPhoto library to this because I see they are doing nice things with the photo portion of their service (thanks to the Snapjoy buyout, a service I've used in the past). I'll actually quite using iPhoto since Apple seemingly has abandoned their desktop software. Obviously 100GB is all I can afford, but I wonder if paying for it is worth it. I currently have 13.5GB of space through various ways to acquire more space. I'm still baffled on why the only offer 2GB's of space, but I guess the average users won't need much more than that.

alq
Mar 12, 2013, 03:08 PM
I wonder if this update will break or negatively affect my use of Dropbox Encore.

That's my fear as well...

----------

Does anyone actually pay for this service? I'm thinking about moving my iPhoto library to this because I see they are doing nice things with the photo portion of their service (thanks to the Snapjoy buyout, a service I've used in the past). I'll actually quite using iPhoto since Apple seemingly has abandoned their desktop software. Obviously 100GB is all I can afford, but I wonder if paying for it is worth it. I currently have 13.5GB of space through various ways to acquire more space. I'm still baffled on why the only offer 2GB's of space, but I guess the average users won't need much more than that.

I'm paying for 100GB which has been upgraded for free to 200GB a while ago, which is brilliant.
I am syncing my photos, and all of my music work to it and it saved my (musical) life once already.

davidec
Mar 12, 2013, 03:09 PM
I so hope I can share a file direct from my desktop without having to go the website, click share link and then copy link to clipboard and paste it in an email.....

mainstreetmark
Mar 12, 2013, 03:18 PM
The new menu app seems to be an add for Dropbox, plus a giggling "Dropbox Folder" item. I wonder where the "percent used" info is.

(maybe i have to change files to get anything interesting to happen)

kirky29
Mar 12, 2013, 03:18 PM

I pay for 100GB and got 50GB free with my old Galaxy SIII, more than enough for now and to be fair, I don't think I've ever had one issue with it.

I would maybe change to Google Drive one day, but upload and internet speeds around my area is terrible....it would probably literally take years to upload what I've got in dropbox now.

The new menu app seems to be an add for Dropbox, plus a giggling "Dropbox Folder" item. I wonder where the "percent used" info is.

The percentage info pops out in the settings icon at the bottom. :)

nutmac
Mar 12, 2013, 03:24 PM
Ho hum, fairly minor update and I hate how there's no way to force an update from the app (Dropbox rolls out update very slowly, sometimes taking about a month).

At the very least, I would like to be able to set any folder as Dropbox folder.

James Craner
Mar 12, 2013, 03:25 PM

If you click the cog wheel in the bottom right corner it tells you how much space you have and used %.

jonnysods
Mar 12, 2013, 03:32 PM
Flippin love Dropbox

kirky29
Mar 12, 2013, 03:34 PM
Ho hum, fairly minor update and I hate how there's no way to force an update from the app (Dropbox rolls out update very slowly, sometimes taking about a month).

If you just download it from the link in the article and then open the image, you just double click and it updates, no dragging to replace, you don't even have to quit the app.

I know what you mean though, there should be an 'check for updates' button in settings :)

somethingelsefl
Mar 12, 2013, 03:38 PM
I like Dropbox...but I wish they would just take the leap and start to distribute through the Mac App store. Say what you want about the Mac App store, but it has definitely made updates easier.

Take Evernote for example. Their service has only improved once they entered the App Store...and updates are just that much easier.

shiftyroach
Mar 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
I use it on Win7 and 10.7. Glad to see there's a Windows update as well.

Wormwolf
Mar 12, 2013, 03:41 PM
Me likes.

somethingelsefl
Mar 12, 2013, 03:43 PM

Click the menu bar icon, then click the gear in the lower right. Dropbox seems to be burying the 'percent used' information both on their clients and web interface. I wonder why.

QuiteSure
Mar 12, 2013, 04:00 PM
I use Dropbox with Chronosync and get the occasional white space conflict when I sync. Will this update solve that problem pretty please?:eek:

ahendarman
Mar 12, 2013, 04:13 PM
Does anyone actually pay for this service?

I wish they offer 50G for $5 per month which is perfect for what I need.
$10 for 100G is too much premium from the free version

Razeus
Mar 12, 2013, 04:23 PM
I wish they offer 50G for $5 per month which is perfect for what I need.
$10 for 100G is too much premium from the free version

I know. they go from 2GB as a "taste", then ramp up to 100GB!

camnchar
Mar 12, 2013, 04:23 PM
Smooth update process! It even unmounted the dmg for me afterward. Very nice.

Razeus
Mar 12, 2013, 04:24 PM
I pay for 100GB and got 50GB free with my old Galaxy SIII, more than enough for now and to be fair, I don't think I've ever had one issue with it.

I would maybe change to Google Drive one day, but upload and internet speeds around my area is terrible....it would probably literally take years to upload what I've got in dropbox now.

I suppose that's how they hook you. Once you've got your data in the cloud, you're not going to want to upload all that stuff again. Clever.

tekboi
Mar 12, 2013, 04:29 PM
Well, I guess the extra eye candy is nice. I was okay with it before though...

BasicGreatGuy
Mar 12, 2013, 04:30 PM
I got 50gb free for two years (recently) since my brother has a Galaxy III. After that, will have to see what they charge for that amount of space.

I like the new update. Install was smooth as butter.

BHP41
Mar 12, 2013, 04:41 PM
Dropbox is great for personal stuff but I ditched it a few months ago for Box. Box is a much better client for business.

That being said, this is a welcome update. Good stuff.

itickings
Mar 12, 2013, 04:44 PM
Looks promising.

I'll postpone the update for a while though, letting others find the critical bugs. :D

Pakaku
Mar 12, 2013, 05:37 PM
I like Dropbox...but I wish they would just take the leap and start to distribute through the Mac App store. Say what you want about the Mac App store, but it has definitely made updates easier.

I disagree entirely. I don't know if it's just me, but I am usually always notified when an app has an update. A window just pops up and tells me Hey, there's an update!

But if I get it from the App Store, I have no idea there's an update unless I load the store. And I do not want that icon in my dock, because I prefer to reserve it for important apps I actually use more than once in a while.

furi0usbee
Mar 12, 2013, 05:37 PM
Simply the best solution out there, and I've tried many of them. Plus with more iOS apps using DB, it's even better.

KALLT
Mar 12, 2013, 05:43 PM

My Dropbox was updated automatically today. I just noticed because I saw this news report. Yesterday I still had the old version.

Comeagain?
Mar 12, 2013, 05:47 PM
Is anyone else curious about what is in the preview document behind the dropbox dropdown?

edenwaith
Mar 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
That wouldn't happen unless Dropbox removed a lot of the functionality of the Mac client. Dropbox injects its own custom plug-in into the Finder so it can add custom context menus, badges and Finder window menu.

Take Evernote for example. Their service has only improved once they entered the App Store...and updates are just that much easier.

nutmac
Mar 12, 2013, 06:33 PM
My Dropbox was updated automatically today. I just noticed because I saw this news report. Yesterday I still had the old version.

Sometimes you get lucky and get the latest version right away. But as Dropbox's help center article (https://www.dropbox.com/help/13/en) points out, the update can take several weeks:
If you don't have the latest version yet, don't worry! Auto-upgrades are rolled out over the course of several weeks after a new update is available. We're very conservative about auto-updating. We never want to risk breaking a working version of Dropbox.

RMo
Mar 12, 2013, 08:17 PM

Dropbox updates easily enough for me. In fact, I thought it updated itself automatically in the background if you checked the option, but I can't seem to find that now, so I don't know if I made that up or not.

As for the App Store, I assume the requirements are too "sandboxy" for Dropbox to support all it currently does--e.g., Finder icon overlays (not sure, but I suspect they aren't supported), and so on. TextWranger and other apps have gotten around this by offering the user the option to download an additional installer (e.g., for the command-line tools and other things that aren't App-Store-safe), but that hardly makes it more convenient.

Plus, I don't doubt that Apple would reject it for providing iCloud-like functionality anyway... :D

somethingelsefl
Mar 12, 2013, 08:41 PM
That wouldn't happen unless Dropbox removed a lot of the functionality of the Mac client. Dropbox injects its own custom plug-in into the Finder so it can add custom context menus, badges and Finder window menu.

Good point. I guess I'm ok with them staying out of the App Store for now. I just really miss my iDisk. Haha

dakwar
Mar 13, 2013, 08:25 AM
I don't like the new behaviour of the menu bar icon.

It deviates from the default behaviour of the other menu bar icons (by being a drop down bubble as opposed to a solid ribbon) AND it hides the important info (% used, GB available, Preferences, Quit Dropbox) behind a second click. I wish there were a way to change its look back to version 1.6's.

Razeus
Mar 13, 2013, 09:00 AM
Now if they can just add the photo albums feature to the iOS app like they have on Android, I'd be happy. I can create photo albums on the desktop browser, so I'm THIS close to dropping iPhoto for good.

curmudgeon32
Mar 13, 2013, 10:52 AM

It deviates from the default behaviour of the other menu bar icons (by being a drop down bubble as opposed to a solid ribbon) AND it hides the important info (% used, GB available, Preferences, Quit Dropbox) behind a second click. I wish there were a way to change its look back to version 1.6's.

Agreed. The previous look and feel made it seem like Dropbox was just a missing part of OS X — now it calls a lot more attention to itself. The real beauty of Dropbox, as far as I'm concerned, is how much you don't have to think about it.

thasan
Mar 14, 2013, 02:10 AM
I disagree entirely. I don't know if it's just me, but I am usually always notified when an app has an update. A window just pops up and tells me Hey, there's an update!

But if I get it from the App Store, I have no idea there's an update unless I load the store. And I do not want that icon in my dock, because I prefer to reserve it for important apps I actually use more than once in a while.

really? i never received such notification from dropbox. this is the first time i actually realised they updated their client!!! i am running v1.6.16!!! :confused:

----------

....too late to read it :s now i want to go back for the same reason.. :mad:

thisMRguy
Mar 14, 2013, 03:09 AM
I never downloaded this new dropbox, and now I'm running 2.0, :mad:

Steve121178
Mar 14, 2013, 08:15 AM
Does anyone actually pay for this service?

Yes, 9.99 for 100GB. It's excellent and works seamlessly across my Mac's, PC's & iPhone.

Pakaku
Mar 14, 2013, 07:35 PM
really? i never received such notification from dropbox. this is the first time i actually realised they updated their client!!! i am running v1.6.16!!! :confused:

Well, no, I didn't receive an update notice either. But my point was I never get a notice if it's installed from the Mac App Store. If it's downloaded from elsewhere, usually the developers are kind enough to include an update notification system, since that's how it was done before the Mac App Store existed...

thasan
Mar 15, 2013, 12:28 AM
Well, no, I didn't receive an update notice either. But my point was I never get a notice if it's installed from the Mac App Store. If it's downloaded from elsewhere, usually the developers are kind enough to include an update notification system, since that's how it was done before the Mac App Store existed...

i see, i manually installed 2.0 and started looking for a downgrade in 5 minutes :(

blewvelvet
Dec 2, 2013, 06:00 PM
I use Dropbox with Chronosync and get the occasional white space conflict when I sync. Will this update solve that problem pretty please?:eek:

Apparently not. I have the same frustrating problem. Every time it syncs some files create hundreds of white sync conflicts..meanwhile...the name of the file has not changed.

I wish they would fix this...I also wish they would offer a version of DROPBOX where the file only goes UP to your folders...not syncing back down till you say..YES...go sync this device.