Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I have a MacBook Air 11 inch 2012 Model, with i7 processor and 8 GB Memory. It's still less than a year old. I bought it around last August. I bought as high spec as I could as I don't like slow computers and I bought the smallest because I wanted an ultra portable laptop. Now I don't do much with it that is seriously serious hungry. I mainly use it to send emails, browse the internet and occasionally watch movies. I have Adobe CS6 installed but I don't really use it.

Now and then the MacBook would start making the fan noise, like it's overheating or something, like you would get on a normal laptop. I always thought the MacBook Air was fan-less. Apparently from what I have been reading on this forum, it does have a fan.

I was also using a hardcase with the MB Air. I thought it may be that stopping the air coming out or something. But taking it off has not changed things. I am trying to monitor when this happens. And I think it is happening when I spend several hours watching videos. I am very surprised that watching videos could cause it to overheat given that it's got a powerful processor and loads of memory.

I am now thinking that, maybe putting in a powerful processor in such a small device with limited cooling capabilities may not have been the best idea. However, I would assume Apple (of all companies) know what they are doing, and would not put an i7 processor in an 11 inch MB Air unless they thought it could handle it, and it would have been tested rigorously for stability.

It's happening once in a while, so it's not a huge issue at the moment. However, I am worried if start using CS6 it may not be able to handle it as well as I would have hoped.I am just wondering if I just have faulty MB. Call it a manufacturing fault or something. I really don't know.

I would like to hear peoples views or opinions on this. If you've had similar problems I would like to hear about it. if you were able to resolve the issue, and if so, how?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
i would look at activity monitor the next time it happened and take a look at what's eating up cpu.

if it's less than a year old it's under warranty, so you could always take it to the fruitstand

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
... And I think it is happening when I spend several hours watching videos. I am very surprised that watching videos could cause it to overheat given that it's got a powerful processor and loads of memory.

OP,
videos, depending on format and codec can be anything but light. I recommend opening activity monitor and opening the small stay-on-top window which shows CPU utilization so that you can follow which videos stress the CPU and which don't.

BTW, you've certainly heard about flash's problems. If you want your machine to stay cool, stay away from flash and flash videos.

RGDS,

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
OK. I will watch the activity monitor.

I don't think I am using Flash. It's mainly Silverlight.

I am using things like iPlayer, LoveFilm, and Netflix. So it's not something completely out of the ordinary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.