PDA

View Full Version : Apple Maps Gains Flyover and 3D Buildings in Many New Cities

MacRumors
Mar 12, 2013, 06:22 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/12/apple-maps-gains-flyover-and-3d-buildings-in-many-new-cities/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/applemaps-150x150.jpgApple has updated its iOS Maps application with Flyover support or expanded Flyover coverage in a number of cities around the world, and updated 3D buildings and turn-by-turn navigation for a number more, reports The Loop (http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/03/12/apples-maps-being-updated-often-and-significantly/). Apple recently pushed significant updates for Maps users in Japan (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/11/apple-maps-updated-in-japan-with-bug-fixes-and-enhancements/).
Apple also made a number of updates in China, one of the company's newest and biggest markets. Maps in China now has a new coloring scheme that matches the vector-based Maps; new Chinese character font for improved readability; Re-prioritized locations so more relevant/interesting locations display first; Updated road network; and it now contains narrower roads.

In addition to all of these changes, Apple has updated city labels in cities worldwide and improved satellite imagery in a number of countries. Other updates include location information for Apple Stores, businesses, movie theaters, restaurants, airports and transit stops.The Loop has the full list of cities seeing improvements (http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/03/12/apples-maps-being-updated-often-and-significantly/), noting that Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company has been working hard on fixing the issues with Apple Maps.

Article Link: Apple Maps Gains Flyover and 3D Buildings in Many New Cities (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/12/apple-maps-gains-flyover-and-3d-buildings-in-many-new-cities/)

gmanist1000
Mar 12, 2013, 06:24 PM
As much as some people hate Apple Maps, I'm glad to see some updates rolling in.

antster94
Mar 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
>not using Google Maps
>2013

nutmac
Mar 12, 2013, 06:31 PM
As much as some people hate Apple Maps, I'm glad to see some updates rolling in.

Aside from some inaccuracy, I think main issue is lack of POI data (as well as aliases for key POI names and types). While I love Apple Maps as navigation tool (I have since ditched NAVIGON USA) it is fairly weak for POI search.

ammonkapow
Mar 12, 2013, 06:33 PM
>not using Google Maps
>2013

>somehow mistook MacRumors for 4chan
>did not die in a fire

mp0890
Mar 12, 2013, 06:34 PM
Not sure how Flyover technology is implemented, but I wonder if the lack of support for Washington, DC has to do with air space restrictions? I want to fly-over my house!

Bathplug
Mar 12, 2013, 06:39 PM
Flyover is pointless unless your Spider-Man. Bring back street view.

keysofanxiety
Mar 12, 2013, 06:43 PM
>not using Google Maps
>2013

>tries to greentext on MR
doesn't use green text
>mfw

Jadzea
Mar 12, 2013, 06:44 PM
To be honest, who cares about flyover when the information in Apple maps is so woefully incorrect.

In the UK POI data is out of date by 10 years (our price records is listed in Leicester still!) and the address information is poor. We have a road nearby that is listed as being in a town 100 miles away!

Many people have spent a long time reporting these errors to Apple and it seems rather than fixing basic data errors they have spent their time on creating fly over cities which, lets be honest, are a poor alternative to street view.

stanleyRoper
Mar 12, 2013, 06:45 PM
After the Dvorak article I gave Apple Maps another shot. The previous poster has the same assessment as I do, for navigation it's as good as Google Maps or Waze. Just don't expect it to know where the nearest Starbucks can be found.

keysofanxiety
Mar 12, 2013, 06:46 PM
To be honest, who cares about flyover when the information in Apple maps is so woefully incorrect.

In the UK POI data is out of date by 10 years (our price records is listed in Leicester still!) and the address information is poor. We have a road nearby that is listed as being in a town 100 miles away!

Many people have spent a long time reporting these errors to Apple and it seems rather than fixing basic data errors they have spent their time on creating fly over cities which, lets be honest, are a poor alternative to street view.

I guarantee in 5 years' time, Apple Maps will be the choice of the majority.

Although I'm probably wrong. Just wanted to say something ridiculous to have the merit of "I called it first!" :D

stanleyRoper
Mar 12, 2013, 06:46 PM

You're correct. A map problem with a simple spelling error that I reported in October hasn't been fixed. I've submitted many updates to Google Maps also. Usually within a few days I get a "You were right!" email from Google.

oldcelt
Mar 12, 2013, 06:49 PM
Just be nice if they could put my house in the right place. Have told them quite a few times.

MasterHowl
Mar 12, 2013, 06:49 PM
I love Maps when it comes to navigation. I think the UI of the turn-by-turn is second to none, and it always takes me to the right place if I drop the pin manually.

However, there are hardly any POIs in my local area... since I live in the centre of Manchester, this is pretty bad!

tekboi
Mar 12, 2013, 06:50 PM

It gives apple maps a nice distinguishing touch. But I agree.

Apple Maps has a LOOOOONNNNG way to go before catching up with google maps... if it actually does catch up at all.

unobtainium
Mar 12, 2013, 06:51 PM
You're correct. A map problem with a simple spelling error that I reported in October hasn't been fixed. I've submitted many updates to Google Maps also. Usually within a few days I get a "You were right!" email from Google.

They're probably completely overwhelmed with the volume of corrections being sent over the past few months. It's bound to take a while to integrate them all.

Also, for those complaining that they're working on 3D flyovers but not fixing basic errors -- the programmers doing 3D renders are obviously not the same programmers who are fixing map data.

moderngamenewb
Mar 12, 2013, 07:00 PM

Although I'm probably wrong. Just wanted to say something ridiculous to have the merit of "I called it first!" :D

You my be right. In 5 years time, Apple Maps will be the choice of the majoirty...if you have an Apple Device

I wonder if Apple will make a web version, since Google has a maps website, and a maps app

lunaoso
Mar 12, 2013, 07:04 PM
Anyone else think the pulsating blue circle around your location changed a little. It might just be in my head.

abz1981
Mar 12, 2013, 07:08 PM

Maybe in Leicester this may be the case. However in Glasgow and the surrounding towns I have tested, it's perfect and really accurate. Am impressed by Apple Maps and Flyover.

The Phazer
Mar 12, 2013, 07:11 PM
Maybe in Leicester this may be the case. However in Glasgow and the surrounding towns I have tested, it's perfect and really accurate. Am impressed by Apple Maps and Flyover.

It most certainly is not.

Radio
Mar 12, 2013, 07:13 PM
flyover.. the most useless feature ever

sculley
Mar 12, 2013, 07:25 PM
Flyover is a gee-whiz ******** technology that I've only ever used to show people how cool it looks... And then THAT'S IT! I've never used it for any other purpose. Apple should stop wasting time and resources on features that are nothing more than fancy window dressing.

Rogifan
Mar 12, 2013, 07:33 PM

Scott Forstall would beg to differ. :D

KiwiAdventure
Mar 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
Apple mapping is hopeless in New Zealand. Siri will not work on mapping and does not have street view. Siri is hopeless in most things.

I wish I could change form Apple mapping to goggle mapping for find my friends.

I don't need fly over just a map that is correct and I don't give a toss about China. If we didn't have China the western world would still be a rich place to live.:eek:

Rogifan
Mar 12, 2013, 07:49 PM
Guess I need to inform Apple that the Minnesota Twins no longer play at the Metrodome. :rolleyes:

http://i45.tinypic.com/dbjic6.jpg

8a22a
Mar 12, 2013, 07:52 PM

It's 3D satellite imagery, how can that not be useful?

The world isn't flat.

Mar 12, 2013, 08:36 PM
Lot have things have changed for the better, but Google maps is still SOLID!

----------

If you dialed 911, would you rather have the Police and EMS use Google maps or Apple maps to drive to your location?

coder12
Mar 12, 2013, 08:40 PM
Guess I need to inform Apple that the Minnesota Twins no longer play at the Metrodome. :rolleyes:

Image (http://i45.tinypic.com/dbjic6.jpg)

Maybe they'll update it by the time the Vikings move out... ;)

genovelle
Mar 12, 2013, 08:42 PM
Lot have things have changed for the better, but Google maps is still SOLID!

----------

If you dialed 911, would you rather have the Police and EMS use Google maps or Apple maps to drive to your location?
Apple's i have had my share of google map screwups over the years including sending me 10 miles in the wrong direction because I couldn't turn around.

nagromme
Mar 12, 2013, 09:03 PM
Dagnabbit!

My street gained Flyover, but it stops short of my house. I'm still stuck in flatland! Down the road, my neighbors' doghouses are in 3D.

Oh well--my time will come.

It got dog slow in the last hour, too--I blame MR for making the whole world look at their house at the same moment.

I've seen some of my errors reported fixed within a week or two. Others, still unfixed after months. Many, I know, are errors served up by partners like Yelp.com, so Apple in theory must be passing reports on to those partners. They must be prioritizing and automating how they deal with the flood of reports, and I'm sure they face some learning curve.

Luckily, I've never seen a major error--mainly just businesses pinned a hundred feet off of their actual building. (I'm in the US. I know some areas are better than others.)

One thing I know: the people flying the Flyover planes are NOT the same people who "fix basic data errors." Apple has people to maintain both efforts at once :)

P.S. Imagine if Apple made Street View. Imagine the HOWLS of rage and mockery at the blurred-out unreadable signs, massive lens flares, cars cut in half, and whole scenes lost in shadow. Bloggers would be posting screenshots daily of errors we just give Google a free pass on. (Likewise, we always gave Google a free pass for wrong addresses, which were and still are frequent... but with an Apple logo, the same type of error is a war crime!) Street View is useful to me once or twice a month, and it was a really cool idea, but it's a mess in its own right.

Meanwhile the level of detail in Flyover is enough to be useful. It doesn't show readable signs the way Google (1/3 of the time) does, but it gives you the look of the street and the buildings VERY clearly.

And unlike Street View, you don't have to maddeningly and awkwardly jump node to node to node. You can zip around smoothly and not lose your bearings. Fly a mile or a meter with a flick. Try realizing you're on the wrong block in Street View and going a block down the street--it's so slow and finicky that it's basically useless. You have to use regular map view for that jump and then return to Street View. Google's solution is decent if you already know EXACTLY the spot you want to see. Not so good for exploring your way around. Plus, Street View has very little that isn't a... street! Flyover lets me cross through woods, parks, public squares, footpaths, private drives/complexes, etc.

Of the two (both flawed, both gimmicky) features, I'll take Flyover. (And of course, I still have Google Maps and Street View as well when I want them.)

ArtOfWarfare
Mar 12, 2013, 09:07 PM
Unlike Street View, you don't have to maddeningly and awkwardly jump node to node to node. You can zip around smoothly and not lose your bearings. Fly a mile or a meter with a flick. Try realizing you're on the wrong block in Street View and going a block down the street--it's so slow and finicky that it's basically useless. You have to use regular map view for that jump and then return to Street View. Google's solution is decent if you already know EXACTLY the spot you want to see. Not so good for exploring your way around.

Of the two (both flawed, both gimmicky) features, I'll take Flyover. (And of course, I still have Google Maps and Street View as well when I want them.)

This. I would have said it myself but you beat me to it by four minutes.

Although you're not actually saying quite the same thing as me. I love flyover for figuring out how to walk around a city. Street view is pretty worthless. I can normally walk down a street in person faster than street view will simulate me walking down it. Flyover, on the other hand, lets me see where I am right now, and lets me easily pan down the street and see what's around the corner 1/4 mile from me or so. And I can look up and see the same landmarks in person that I see on my phone. If Apple could stick that same thing on my watch, that'd be amazing as it wouldn't involve me jogging 1/4 mile at a time, then pulling my phone out, unlocking it, and looking for the next landmark, then putting it back in my pocket... in addition to being more convenient, it's less likely that I'll be mugged or have my phone stolen (which hasn't happened yet, but I'm worried about the possibility every time I have to use my phone in an alleyway or busy sidewalk.)

honjoe
Mar 12, 2013, 09:58 PM
Still no flyover for Washington D.C. :(

Masterkona
Mar 12, 2013, 10:21 PM
What's amazing is that they managed to make Apple Maps better than Google maps in under 1 year. Google was launched in 2005? That's what - 8 years?
I have no doubts that Apple will make Youtube and Google obsolete. I suspect they are killing off the services as quickly as they can without diminishing the user experience. Wouldn't surprise me if an Apple Video service popped up within the year.

Radio
Mar 12, 2013, 10:59 PM
It's 3D satellite imagery, how can that not be useful?

The world isn't flat.

When do u want to use that?

----------

Scott Forstall would beg to differ. :D

Isn't he dead?

maxosx
Mar 12, 2013, 11:00 PM
The app is improving.

Snowy_River
Mar 12, 2013, 11:07 PM
P.S. Imagine if Apple made Street View. Imagine the HOWLS of rage and mockery at the blurred-out unreadable signs, massive lens flares, cars cut in half, and whole scenes lost in shadow. Bloggers would be posting screenshots daily of errors we just give Google a free pass on. (Likewise, we always gave Google a free pass for wrong addresses, which were and still are frequent... but with an Apple logo, the same type of error is a war crime!) Street View is useful to me once or twice a month, and it was a really cool idea, but it's a mess in its own right.

Meanwhile the level of detail in Flyover is enough to be useful. It doesn't show readable signs the way Google (1/3 of the time) does, but it gives you the look of the street and the buildings VERY clearly.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to feel this way. Personally, I've never found street view to be all that useful. Those times that I've tried to use it, the images were never sufficiently clear to allow any practical use.

Like you, I'll take flyover any day..

Bill Killer
Mar 12, 2013, 11:09 PM
What's amazing is that they managed to make Apple Maps better than Google maps in under 1 year. Google was launched in 2005? That's what - 8 years?
I have no doubts that Apple will make Youtube and Google obsolete. I suspect they are killing off the services as quickly as they can without diminishing the user experience. Wouldn't surprise me if an Apple Video service popped up within the year.
This is factually incorrect. The Apple app, itself, is excellent, but Google's map data is objectively much more comprehensive than Apple's offerings.

newagemac
Mar 12, 2013, 11:46 PM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to feel this way. Personally, I've never found street view to be all that useful. Those times that I've tried to use it, the images were never sufficiently clear to allow any practical use.

Like you, I'll take flyover any day..

Same here. Street View is a joke compared to Flyover. Just compared the two recently to figure out the downtown area in a big city we were visiting. Trying to tap, tap, tap down all the way down every single street in Street View was maddeningly frustrating but really easy with Flyover. Heck, Street View wouldn't even let me traverse the downtown park... I guess because it isn't a street. No such limitations with Flyover though.

Street View is just way to slow and restricting compared to Flyover. Google needs to pull its head out of its ass and stop resting on old tech because Apple seems to be catching up fast and already surpassing them in some areas like this Flyover as well as turn by turn navigation and overall UI of the maps app.

Masterkona
Mar 13, 2013, 12:27 AM
This is factually incorrect. The Apple app, itself, is excellent, but Google's map data is objectively much more comprehensive than Apple's offerings.

Apple Maps found to be more accurate.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416321,00.asp

W1LLk
Mar 13, 2013, 12:46 AM
When I saw this post, I got excited and immediately opened my maps app to see if San Antonio had finally caught up with the other large Texas cities. Nooooope. I suppose they definitely are not choosing their locations based on population or city size. :(

I'll also admit that once it is available here, it will quickly be sort of a gimmick and just something I play with when I'm bored.

gmanist1000
Mar 13, 2013, 01:07 AM

Probably the worst test I have ever read.

gnasher729
Mar 13, 2013, 03:07 AM
They're probably completely overwhelmed with the volume of corrections being sent over the past few months. It's bound to take a while to integrate them all.

Also, for those complaining that they're working on 3D flyovers but not fixing basic errors -- the programmers doing 3D renders are obviously not the same programmers who are fixing map data.

Both are not programmers. You don't have programmers fixing map data. You have lots of people driving around in little cars fixing map data.

You my be right. In 5 years time, Apple Maps will be the choice of the majoirty...if you have an Apple Device

I wonder if Apple will make a web version, since Google has a maps website, and a maps app

Since maps arrived, they have fixed all the satellite images in the UK (at least I haven't found problems in areas where they had problems), and the massive problems with satellite images in the south of Germany (at least I haven't found problems where I found them before). So yes, in a years time I expect Apple's data to be better than Google's, and the software always was better.

BTW. The Australians figured out that Google sends you to the same desert locations that Apple Maps did when you typed in certain town names. Except that Apple has fixed the problem since. Google hasn't. And on Google Maps, the pub in my village is still in the middle of the cricket field.

Bill Killer
Mar 13, 2013, 03:13 AM

Let's go ahead and not confuse an editorial column with a real and credible experiment.

Those people should conduct the test again in a smaller, rural US town or overseas. Let's see who the "winners" are then.

----------

Same here. Street View is a joke compared to Flyover. Just compared the two recently to figure out the downtown area in a big city we were visiting. Trying to tap, tap, tap down all the way down every single street in Street View was maddeningly frustrating but really easy with Flyover. Heck, Street View wouldn't even let me traverse the downtown park... I guess because it isn't a street. No such limitations with Flyover though.

Street View is just way to slow and restricting compared to Flyover. Google needs to pull its head out of its ass and stop resting on old tech because Apple seems to be catching up fast and already surpassing them in some areas like this Flyover as well as turn by turn navigation and overall UI of the maps app.

I don't view Flyover and Street View as competing functions. Flyover, to me, is a novelty made for people who aren't necessarily using the app, at the time, for directions. Street View is for people who need directions and need to be able to see what their final destination looks like from their level.

If you don't see Street View as a valuable resource of directions, then you're blind.

vmachiel
Mar 13, 2013, 03:35 AM
Sweet. I'm actually loving Apple Maps, since I hasn't sent me to the middle of nowhere yet :)

OllyW
Mar 13, 2013, 03:52 AM
In addition to all of these changes, Apple has updated city labels in cities worldwide

They haven't got round to my part of the world yet, most of the smaller towns in the West Midlands are still unlabelled. :(

Since maps arrived, they have fixed all the satellite images in the UK...

No they haven't. It might be better for where you live but there are still lots of areas in the UK where they are still quite poor.

decafjava
Mar 13, 2013, 04:12 AM
The big problem for me with both google and apple maps is they are equally useless when travelling unless you like paying huge fees for data roaming. Bloody phone companies, after so many years here in Europe still annoyed Canadians and Americans can use unlimited data travelling a modest distance while the same distance in Europe you have to flit from wifi to wifi or risek large charges-thank goodness that only happened once on voice to me. [/rant]

Dagless
Mar 13, 2013, 04:54 AM
It's okay, I have Google Maps now.

Streetview is rather wonderful.

----------

And unlike Street View, you don't have to maddeningly and awkwardly jump node to node to node. You can zip around smoothly and not lose your bearings. Fly a mile or a meter with a flick. Try realizing you're on the wrong block in Street View and going a block down the street--it's so slow and finicky that it's basically useless. You have to use regular map view for that jump and then return to Street View. Google's solution is decent if you already know EXACTLY the spot you want to see. Not so good for exploring your way around. Plus, Street View has very little that isn't a... street! Flyover lets me cross through woods, parks, public squares, footpaths, private drives/complexes, etc.

Unlike Flyover, I can pinpoint where a building is going to be on eye-level. I'd love Flyover if I was flying over, but since I approach most things at street level I'm more keen on Streetview. Just seems to be functional and cool, rather than having no functionality at all.

F1 Fan
Mar 13, 2013, 05:00 AM

I was about to say that it's been more than 18 months and they haven't fixed ANYTHING!... but then I read this...

I've seen some of my errors reported fixed within a week or two. Others, still unfixed after months. Many, I know, are errors served up by partners like Yelp.com, so Apple in theory must be passing reports on to those partners. They must be prioritizing and automating how they deal with the flood of reports, and I'm sure they face some learning curve.

That's the first time I've heard anyone reporting a problem fixed. Armed with this new information, I decided to check the biggest problem local to me and joy of joys! - It's fixed! The label for my town is now on my town rather than in the middle of nowhere 10 miles away :)

The other two errors I'd reported (one of which is, I freely admit, a tiny, insignificant error) are still there but at least progress is being made :)

tobyw7
Mar 13, 2013, 05:12 AM

I'd hope they'd be using something a whole load more accurate like dedicated GPS rather than either web-based solution.

silvetti
Mar 13, 2013, 05:26 AM
Still waiting for them to integrate this on www.icloud.com

gnasher729
Mar 13, 2013, 06:07 AM
No they haven't. It might be better for where you live but there are still lots of areas in the UK where they are still quite poor.

It was always fine where I live. And it is fine now where I checked (huge areas near the south coast that were low quality). Where I used to live, there were huge areas missing, a few weeks ago there was a thin, long strip from north to south missing (with my old home right in the middle), and now it is fine. At any rate, it looks like they are getting there.

tatonka
Mar 13, 2013, 07:17 AM
As long as Apple maps can't figure out the most common abbreviation or typos in search it is basically useless .. search for rd. instead of road still leads to an empty result.

But well .. Google Maps is back on iOS so there really is nothing to complain anymore. Just hide Apple Maps somewhere way deep and hope they learned their lesson and make iOS 7 rock.

jayducharme
Mar 13, 2013, 07:31 AM
I wonder when Apple will fix the Maps icon, which shows directions for driving off an overpass...

Am3r1ca16
Mar 13, 2013, 09:18 AM
Nice to see that they are updating the maps.

But I wish you would be able to bookmark places so I don't have to keep looking for them!
Like in google maps.

vtstarck
Mar 13, 2013, 09:21 AM
But I wish you would be able to bookmark places so I don't have to keep looking for them!
Like in google maps.

Drop a pin and select "Add to Bookmarks".

Snowy_River
Mar 13, 2013, 09:23 AM
I don't view Flyover and Street View as competing functions. Flyover, to me, is a novelty made for people who aren't necessarily using the app, at the time, for directions. Street View is for people who need directions and need to be able to see what their final destination looks like from their level.

If you don't see Street View as a valuable resource of directions, then you're blind.

Unlike Flyover, I can pinpoint where a building is going to be on eye-level. I'd love Flyover if I was flying over, but since I approach most things at street level I'm more keen on Streetview. Just seems to be functional and cool, rather than having no functionality at all.

Okay, folks, I know this kind of thing comes up from time to time, but let's try to be a little more civil about it. I'm delighted that you find Streetview useful. It's great that it's there for you. But, if when I've tried to use it I haven't found it terribly useful, whereas I have found Flyover to be useful, doesn't mean that I'm blind or not understanding the true coolness and functionality of Streetview. It just means that I like a different set of tools.

Personally, the ability to shift the view in a 3D sense gives me a much better feel for how an area around a destination looks and feels than the blurry, hard to distinguish, flat photos that make up Streetview every could. It has nothing to do with the question of "flying over" vs. being at "street view".

I'm not saying that Streetview has no functionality, or that anyone who can't see the usefulness of Flyover is blind. I'm saying that they offer different things, and my preference, from an overall functionality for me standpoint, is the Flyover in Apple maps.

Now, what could make things even better would be if the two technologies merged to the point where you could shift the flyover view all the way down to a street view perspective.

I wonder when Apple will fix the Maps icon, which shows directions for driving off an overpass...

Honestly, this criticism is old and, frankly, was pretty weak when it first came out. The map image shown in the icon is a simplified map that doesn't show on ramps, etc. In this kind of simplified map, when drawing a route on, it would be typical to show the route turn right (or left, in this case) onto the freeway.

Am3r1ca16
Mar 13, 2013, 09:25 AM
Drop a pin and select "Add to Bookmarks".

Haha oh wow thank you. Now I feel silly

gmanist1000
Mar 13, 2013, 10:27 AM

That's what they want you to do.

ELMI0001
Mar 13, 2013, 10:38 AM

Image (http://i45.tinypic.com/dbjic6.jpg)

Ha ha. I was excited to see that Mpls was included in the update but didn't wander to that side of downtown. Target Field and TCF Bank Stadium both look amazing.

SmileyBlast!
Mar 13, 2013, 11:26 AM
They need to find a way to crowd source these Mapping Data fixes.
Maybe :apple: needs to acquire Waze and do the Social GPS thing.
It should be effortless for the end users but the more you use Maps the better it should get.

matty.p
Mar 13, 2013, 12:17 PM
They need to find a way to crowd source these Mapping Data fixes.
Maybe :apple: needs to acquire Waze and do the Social GPS thing.
It should be effortless for the end users but the more you use Maps the better it should get.

I think the problem that Apple then runs into is that it has to trust a user to provide accurate information. If a user enters an address wrong or a phone number incorrectly they will receive the same criticism of having inaccurate information.

They rely on Cities and Government data right now. That data seems to be the weak point right now. I've actually seen a lot of POI data being updated and additions lately in San Diego, where I live. A restaurant that opened just three or four weeks ago now shows up on the map when I zoom in to where my school is. Always improving is good and as a user we will be much better off with Apple working so hard to improve.

extradryny
Mar 13, 2013, 12:24 PM
But well .. Google Maps is back on iOS so there really is nothing to complain anymore.

Except you can't select a default mapping app, so everybody I know with iOS 6 still ends up in Apple Maps all the time, like it or not.

Am3r1ca16
Mar 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
So Apple Maps update themselves?

gaggenau
Mar 13, 2013, 01:56 PM
This is old News atleast parts of it. The area of the 3D View of Stockholm was expanded include the suburbs weeks ago. One funny thing is that apple missed the 120 meter high hotel Victoria tower in Kista outside Stockholm you can only see the shadow in the 3d view.
Last week the Swedish town Linköping got 3d view support. The company behind apples 3d view ( C3) has its roots in the that town.

olowott
Mar 13, 2013, 02:43 PM
My House is still in the middle of the road :mad:

keep telling me my current location is on the road while am in my room on my bed.

powers74
Mar 13, 2013, 03:18 PM

Have to disagree. I just realized iPad2 (which I rarely use since it's the wife/kids machine) supported 3D maps the night before last and... AWESOME! While I get that "StreetView" is more "realistic" since it's from the same POV as, well, street view, "Flyover" is way faster, more dynamic and gives you a great sense of the overall surroundings. I'm sold.

Yeah, well, call me nuts, but I have to agree with that statement.

larrylaffer
Mar 13, 2013, 05:21 PM
>somehow mistook MacRumors for 4chan
>did not die in a fire

>implying there's a difference
>mfw

constanza.jpg

Reason077
Mar 14, 2013, 10:43 AM

Indeed. Even London's imagery is pretty bad when you compare it against what Google has.