PDA

View Full Version : Tibook 800 vs. 867?

arainert
Dec 11, 2002, 06:50 AM
Is there any notable difference (heat-up, battery life, screen quality) other than the slight bump in Mhz and the slight upgrade of the video card? Do those justify the small price difference?

Basically which is a better *deal* for your money?

Thanks,

:a

iGav
Dec 11, 2002, 10:12 AM
Well the video card is a huge upgrade especially if you run 2 screens..... iit'll also make a speed difference in OSX!!

The speed difference.... well it'll be faster!! Remember that it wasn't so long ago (beige G3's) that Apple was increasing speeds only in the region of 30Mhz to 60Mhz, so I think it'd still provide a handy difference in speed!! Remember also of Apple's double the RAM offer!!

That said, the PowerBook 800MHz is still a dandy machine (I own a TiBook 500Mhz, and it's no real chore working on it!!) so if the price difference is quite huge and you're on a budget go for the 800Mz..... , if the difference is really small... then go for the faster one!

Either way, I'm sure you'll be blown you away!:D

Bradcoe
Dec 11, 2002, 10:22 AM
The 867 is a better deal because the video capabilities are greater. The Radeon 9000 is a great mobile video card. It's sad to see Apple only put 32mb in the 867 model. Having the 1Ghz model with 64mb on the Radeon 9000 makes it SWEET. I'd go for that one if you can.

Wano
Dec 11, 2002, 10:57 AM
The 867 is a better deal...although you might want to updgrade the ram, and with the double your ram deal it will be cheap...then the only thing you will be mising will be the airport card, and if you get that you will have everything that the 800mhz model has but 67mhz more, at around the same.

jorgev
Dec 11, 2002, 07:51 PM
And, what about the battery?
I hear about 3 hours in the 1GHz machines.
But I don't know anything about 867.
Where is the most expensive element in baterry lifetime. The DDR ram in the video card and in the Cache or the 200 ghz up
I would interested in 800 if the battery lifetime was 5 hours.
Somebody can corfim?
I hear by a friend that the 867 give only 3 hours of batery in the normal use.(only whit 2 days of using it)
Somebody knows about lifetime of tg4 800?

iGav
Dec 12, 2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jorgev
And, what about the battery?
I hear about 3 hours in the 1GHz machines.
But I don't know anything about 867.
Where is the most expensive element in baterry lifetime. The DDR ram in the video card and in the Cache or the 200 ghz up
I would interested in 800 if the battery lifetime was 5 hours.
Somebody can corfim?
I hear by a friend that the 867 give only 3 hours of batery in the normal use.(only whit 2 days of using it)
Somebody knows about lifetime of tg4 800?

It totally depends on use..... if you turn the screen brightness down, and use the energy saver to reduce processor performance, and spend the time typing, then you'll probably see 5 hours.......

If however you really push it..... I've seen sub 1 hour times on my TiBook 500MHz when doing lot's of RAM previews in After Effects!!

2-3 hours is average for solid use!!