PDA

View Full Version : I Got IT!

Dr Riot
Oct 18, 2005, 11:55 AM
Its not ugly as I thought it might be.. the casing is pretty cool as well!

vouder17
Oct 18, 2005, 12:02 PM
Wow congrats!! post some more pics...if you can

music251
Oct 18, 2005, 12:04 PM
Would you be so kind to see if this new model has the capability to import custom EQ-settings from iTunes? I would really like to know if this is possible. If so, I'll order one white 60gb myself right away.. Thanks!

chucknorris
Oct 18, 2005, 12:08 PM
What size is it? Does it feel noticeably sleeker?

Sky Blue
Oct 18, 2005, 12:10 PM
whats the tv out like?
is the case 'soft'?

jcrewleif
Oct 18, 2005, 12:22 PM
I got mine too:
my 5g ipod video (http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=386814&st=0)

steve_hill4
Oct 18, 2005, 12:28 PM
Not sure that it is officially a 5G model is it?

Dr Riot
Oct 18, 2005, 12:30 PM
What size is it? Does it feel noticeably sleeker?

Yep it does! Its the same height, only thinner.. and less bulky compared to the 4G..

The Case is like a sock but has a sort of leathery feel and not really that easy to stretch.

Video quality its pretty awesome watching on the ipod itself.. I'm not sure about the TV out cos I don't really have a dock

Dr Riot
Oct 18, 2005, 12:34 PM
Would you be so kind to see if this new model has the capability to import custom EQ-settings from iTunes? I would really like to know if this is possible.

Sorry, I don't really know how to check that...

Dr Riot
Oct 18, 2005, 12:39 PM
Here is another pic, sorry, I don't have my digital camera with me right now, so, I'm using my iSight.

Tommyg117
Oct 18, 2005, 12:41 PM
When did you order? I paid for 1 day delivery and it says mine isn't going to arrive until the 20th! what the heck! I ordered like 2 hours after the announcement!

jcrewleif
Oct 18, 2005, 12:45 PM
I ordered mine on the 12th with regular ground shipping

ftaok
Oct 18, 2005, 12:47 PM
Its not ugly as I thought it might be.. the casing is pretty cool as well!
Do you have an iPod/FireWire cable? Can you check to see if this iPod can/can't sync over FireWire.

The consensus seems to be that it can't, but I haven't read anything that confirms that it doesn't. Although I could have skipped over one of the 32 million pages in this forum.

Thanks!

Chundles
Oct 18, 2005, 12:47 PM
Not sure that it is officially a 5G model is it?

Yes it is a 5G.

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 12:48 PM
Do you have an iPod/FireWire cable? Can you check to see if this iPod can/can't sync over FireWire.

The consensus seems to be that it can't, but I haven't read anything that confirms that it doesn't. Although I could have skipped over one of the 32 million pages in this forum.

Thanks!I'll test the FireWire functionality as soon as my iPod has synched up all of my music... might take a few hours.

Sky Blue
Oct 18, 2005, 12:48 PM
Video quality its pretty awesome watching on the ipod itself.. I'm not sure about the TV out cos I don't really have a dock

errr....you need a dock?

noelister
Oct 18, 2005, 12:49 PM
That is sweet. Mine is only one state away from me :). Hopefully, it will arrive early :D

Dr Riot
Oct 18, 2005, 12:58 PM
When did you order? I paid for 1 day delivery and it says mine isn't going to arrive until the 20th! what the heck! I ordered like 2 hours after the announcement!

I ordered it around 8PM Eastern on the 12th..

errr....you need a dock?

To plug it into a TV you do...

and no, I don't have an iPod firewire cable so I can't really test it, sorry.. :(

Sky Blue
Oct 18, 2005, 01:03 PM
To plug it into a TV you do...

i was under the impression you could use the headphone socket as audio/video out

Dr Riot
Oct 18, 2005, 01:05 PM
i was under the impression you could use the headphone socket as audio/video out

you can?

let me try it out then..

Sky Blue
Oct 18, 2005, 01:07 PM
please do

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 01:07 PM
you can?

let me try it out then..

You need the cables from the apple store! They go into the headphones jack and give you standard a/v cables ( red, white, yellow ).

Sky Blue
Oct 18, 2005, 01:11 PM
You need the cables from the apple store! They go into the headphones jack and give you standard a/v cables ( red, white, yellow ).

i would think any standard av cable would work, apples are a bit pricey

Dr Riot
Oct 18, 2005, 01:11 PM
oh, are the different from the normal cables you can buy at radio shack which fit into the headphone and the otherside fits into the tv? I had one of those cables, I can't find it!!

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 01:12 PM
oh, are the different from the normal cables you can buy at radio shack which fit into the headphone and the otherside fits into the tv? I had one of those cables, I can't find it!!

If it fits the headphone jack on the iPod with 3 distinct seperators on the headphone jack and breaks out into 3 rca then you are probably good.

Tommyg117
Oct 18, 2005, 01:40 PM
darn, I ordered 4:00 PM eastern on the 12th. Maybe it is taking longer for the 60 gig black? So much for 1 day shipping being worth the extra 16 bucks...

hotwire132002
Oct 18, 2005, 01:52 PM
If it fits the headphone jack on the iPod with 3 distinct seperators on the headphone jack and breaks out into 3 rca then you are probably good.

I don't know about that one--my old (Clamshell) iBook would only take Apple's 1/8" > RCA cable. (Other 1/8" > RCA, like the ones from my camcorders, wouldn't work.) I think Apple rearranged the pinout of the 1/8" plug to make sure you buy their cable. Then again, they could have changed that since the days of the clamshell iBooks.

briangig
Oct 18, 2005, 01:52 PM
just one persons opinion...but I would think the 60gb black would be one of the more popular ones..

Edge100
Oct 18, 2005, 02:10 PM
I don't know about that one--my old (Clamshell) iBook would only take Apple's 1/8" > RCA cable. (Other 1/8" > RCA, like the ones from my camcorders, wouldn't work.) I think Apple rearranged the pinout of the 1/8" plug to make sure you buy their cable. Then again, they could have changed that since the days of the clamshell iBooks.

Unless they physically moved the pinout to different locations on the actual 1/8" plug, you should still be able to use the standard cables. Its just that the video (yellow) RCA would now be audio L or audio R, and one of the audio signals would go to the Yellow RCA. I dont think there is anything physically different about the cables carrying the video signal to the yellow RCA versus the audio signals to the red and white RCAs.

Bottom line, unless they've got some proprietary cable and connector, a standard cable should work.

hotwire132002
Oct 18, 2005, 02:17 PM
Unless they physically moved the pinout to different locations on the actual 1/8" plug, you should still be able to use the standard cables. Its just that the video (yellow) RCA would now be audio L or audio R, and one of the audio signals would go to the Yellow RCA. I dont think there is anything physically different about the cables carrying the video signal to the yellow RCA versus the audio signals to the red and white RCAs.

Bottom line, unless they've got some proprietary cable and connector, a standard cable should work.

That's a good point--I never tried that! I feel stupid now ;) :p

EDIT: Just tested the theory on my old clamshell iBook--no luck. All three connectors (red, white, yellow) display a distorted version of the screen's image when plugged into the TV's video in, and just give a buzzing on the audio in. The cable that came with the iBook works fine.

That doesn't necessarily say anything, though--Apple could be using a different pinout on the iPod's TV out. (Or the iBook could be messed up :rolleyes:. It's old. )

jaw04005
Oct 18, 2005, 08:04 PM
I know for a fact that standard headphone to A/V cables won't work on my iPod photo, so I wouldn't think they would work on the new iPod video either.

By the way, Apple's A/V cables won't work on my Canon camcorder either. They display a distorted signal, so I'm sure they did something to make you have to purchase their cables.

Edit: I tried moving the cables around (red, white, yellow) but it still didn't work. I'm convinced Apple did something proprietary.

Ashapalan
Oct 18, 2005, 08:19 PM
no, apply rigged the ipod photo's so that only their cable worked for output, i can't imagine thats changed.

3rd party cables wont do the job.

jeraiya
Oct 19, 2005, 05:45 PM
what's the battery life like?

watcher2001
Oct 19, 2005, 06:50 PM
I know this ? was posted already but I don't see the answer... has anyone tried with the firewire cable to see if it will work????

devilot
Oct 19, 2005, 07:00 PM
I know this ? was posted already but I don't see the answer... has anyone tried with the firewire cable to see if it will work????You can charge via firewire but you can NOT transfer data via FW.