PDA

View Full Version : video testing

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 12:09 PM
Hey, if someone has the new iPod and wants to give me a hand ( mine has not shipped yet ) I'm trying to figure out the best possible balance in video encoding/file size for mpeg-4 video. My goal it to make the video look good on the screen AND tv without breaking the bank in terms of file size.

So if someone has one of the units and doesn't mind downloading some video clips for testing, drop me a PM. It would be perfect if you also had the A/V hookup to see the video on the TV and give an impression of that as well. Clips are 30-70MB/each ( 2-4 minutes / 7-15/mb minute ) so don't bother if you are on dialup.

steve_hill4
Oct 18, 2005, 12:30 PM
I think apple are quoting 200MB per hour of downloaded footage from iTMS. If you go smaller than that, my guess is that the quality is then determined by what you define as acceptable.

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 12:39 PM
7-15mb/minute and from my current testing quality IS higher, but I may still be able to get the file size down some with objective testing on how the device actually operates.

Dr Riot
Oct 18, 2005, 01:01 PM
I can test it out on the ipod, but I don't have a dock, so I can't test the TV out

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 01:05 PM
Pm sent to Dr. Riot... hopefully once he has a chance he will post feedback on the playbility of these file on the iPod.

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 01:52 PM
1st test: Crash and Burn. Video looks good on computer, imports into Itunes, copie to iPod but results in a blank playback without video or audio.

hotwire132002
Oct 18, 2005, 01:57 PM
1st test: Crash and Burn. Video looks good on computer, imports into Itunes, copie to iPod but results in a blank playback without video or audio.

What kinds of settings were used on this test?

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 02:01 PM
What kinds of settings were used on this test?

IIRC...

ffmpeg -y -i <input 480x480 video> -hq -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1400 -bufsize 4096 -maxrate 2350 -r 29.97 -acodec aac -ab 96 -aspect 4:3 -f mov <outputfilename>.mov

hotwire132002
Oct 18, 2005, 02:13 PM
IIRC...

ffmpeg -y -i <input 480x480 video> -hq -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1400 -bufsize 4096 -maxrate 2350 -r 29.97 -acodec aac -ab 96 -aspect 4:3 -f mov <outputfilename>.mov

Thanks. :)

Do you have QT 7 Pro? It has an "Export for iPod" option. (Though my new iPod won't come in till Friday, so I can't test that yet, but I'd have to assume that it would work.)

BornAgainMac
Oct 18, 2005, 02:18 PM
Do you have QT 7 Pro? It has an "Export for iPod" option.

Does the export to iPod use H.264 or MPEG-4 plain vanilla?

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 02:21 PM
I don't plan on using QT Pro, I'm trying to develop a solution that will actually look good both on iPod and TV screen and that does not include QT Pro and convert to iPod.

hotwire132002
Oct 18, 2005, 02:26 PM
Does the export to iPod use H.264 or MPEG-4 plain vanilla?

I don't know--the "options" button is grayed out. I would assume H.264, since Apple's trying to promote it, but it doesn't actually say. (All it says is "Movie to iPod" -- the extension is m4v.)

hotwire132002
Oct 18, 2005, 02:27 PM
I don't plan on using QT Pro, I'm trying to develop a solution that will actually look good both on iPod and TV screen and that does not include QT Pro and convert to iPod.

Fair enough. Let us know when you come up with something! (In the mean time, QT works for me. :) )

steve_hill4
Oct 18, 2005, 02:39 PM
Not tried the export movie through iTunes, (no video capable iPod), but QT Pro would be the best option and it appears to be the only option apple refers to for getting your own video onto the iPod.

freeny
Oct 18, 2005, 02:46 PM
check out this link posted in another thread
http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/
Im doing some sample tests in anticipation of my ipod video arriving on thursday.

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 02:51 PM
check out this link posted in another thread
Im doing some sample tests in anticipation of my ipod video arriving on thursday.

I'm fairly positive that this will have problems too. Everything ( except QT Pro ) has been working off published specs that are flimsy at best.

This is why we need to do testing so that we can pin down EXACTLY what's needed to playback properly.

freeny
Oct 18, 2005, 02:58 PM
according to apple the ipod video will accept any video file ending in either .mov or .mp4

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 03:01 PM
according to apple the ipod video will accept any video file ending in either .mov or .mp4

nonononononononono....

"H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats"

freeny
Oct 18, 2005, 03:08 PM
nonononononononono....

"H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats"
I stand corrected. Here it is exactly as posted on the apple site;

iPod can play the following video formats:
* H.264 video
File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
* MPEG-4 video
File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

freeny
Oct 18, 2005, 03:15 PM
After going over the directions in;
there should be no reason your videos wont play as described on the apple site. all the instructions follow apples guidelines. I will try them out as soon as ive got my pod and tv connection cord.

acousticvibes
Oct 18, 2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks. :)

Do you have QT 7 Pro? It has an "Export for iPod" option. (Though my new iPod won't come in till Friday, so I can't test that yet, but I'd have to assume that it would work.)

It totally doesn't work! it has taken days to export a 120 min video out of quicktime. It is soo rediculus. I dont know what to do. and my video is on it's way

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 05:00 PM
After going over the directions in;
there should be no reason your videos wont play as described on the apple site. all the instructions follow apples guidelines. I will try them out as soon as ive got my pod and tv connection cord.I hate to say, but the steps on this site are NOT guaranteed to work... I tried ripping two DVDs using those steps, and neither of them would transfer to my iPod. I'm trying again with lower bitrates to see if that will help.

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 06:44 PM
Ok updates...

mpeg-4 SP ONLY SQUARE PIXELS!!! This is a bad bad thing. I'm trying to figure out now if it's my encoding or the player that is bad.

We were able to get mpeg-4 with resolutions up to 640x360 to play back, this is far higher than the stated 480x480.

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 06:47 PM
Ok updates...

mpeg-4 SP ONLY SQUARE PIXELS!!! This is a bad bad thing. I'm trying to figure out now if it's my encoding or the player that is bad.

We were able to get mpeg-4 with resolutions up to 640x360 to play back, this is far higher than the stated 480x480.How in the heck do you specify square pixels in a program like Handbrake?

(BTW, I'm the one who's been helping out snowmoon... he's got the files, I've got the iPod.)

Sky Blue
Oct 18, 2005, 06:48 PM
We were able to get mpeg-4 with resolutions up to 640x360 to play back, this is far higher than the stated 480x480.

ohhh, sounds good..anyone tried video out yet??

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 07:14 PM
no video out and square pixels mean that you have to encode video at a much higher bitrate then needed. This is QUITE annoying.

pseybold
Oct 18, 2005, 07:50 PM
hey snowmoon & clayj...thanks for all the leg work your doing trying to sort through the encoding process! do you guys have the correct settings worked out yet? ie..what bit rate we are all going to need to encode these DVDs in handbrake. any input would help us all out. thanks again for all the work your doing

Pete

blakecaldwell
Oct 18, 2005, 07:53 PM
I wanna get my MythTV mpeg2 (*.nuv) files over to mpeg4 using mencoder. I'm not a video codec geek, so I humbly ask for recommendations..

Can anyone recommend a nice mencoder cmdline for our new iPod?

I'd like it to look decent on the TV, but that's secondary to disk space

thanks!

- blake

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 08:24 PM
One thing I just found out is that the H.264 option in Handbrake seems to NOT be compatible with the 5G iPod... so I am sticking with MPEG-4 encoding right now. Will hopefully have something to post in a bit...

jaw04005
Oct 18, 2005, 08:28 PM
I hope MP4 works because I've spent numerous hours over the past week encoding DVDs to MP4 in anticipation of my iPod video. I'm such an overachiever. :)

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 08:32 PM
I hope MP4 works because I've spent numerous hours over the past week encoding DVDs to MP4 in anticipation of my iPod video. I'm such an overachiever. :)See, I didn't do that, and I'm glad I didn't... because strange things are afoot with video on the iPod. ;)

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 08:41 PM
I hope MP4 works because I've spent numerous hours over the past week encoding DVDs to MP4 in anticipation of my iPod video. I'm such an overachiever. :)

Seems as long as you 320x240 you will probably be ok, but no guarntee.

G5Unit
Oct 18, 2005, 08:45 PM
So if the iPod can handle 640 by 360 than the video out to TV will be pretty good quality right?

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 08:51 PM
So if the iPod can handle 640 by 360 than the video out to TV will be pretty good quality right?

I don't know... I have yet to find someone with TV out ability

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 09:04 PM
OK, here's what I've found so far that works, WRT ripping DVDs to an iPod... I will keep this updated with any new information, and will post a new thread once I've got totally finalized steps:

Follow the steps shown at http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide until you get to Figure 8.

Then, set the following settings:

File format (fig. 8): MP4 file
Codecs (fig. 9): MPEG-4 Video / AAC Audio (do NOT select AVC/H.264!)
Framerate: Same as source
Video Encoder: FFmpeg
Average bit rate (fig. 11): I've had success so far up to 1024... higher values might work
2-pass encoding (fig. 12): you can enable this or not... it works either way, and does not significantly affect the final file size... but it DOES DOUBLE the amount of time required to encode the movie
Sample rate (fig. 14): 48000 works fine, lesser values should be OK
Bitrate (fig. 15): 160 works fine, lesser values should be OK
Size (fig. 16): set Width to 320, Keep Aspect Ratio CHECKED

Doing this, I've been able to rip 3 chapters from Sin City to an MP4 file that plays perfectly on my 5G iPod. I'm testing higher video bitrates and longer rips (the entire movie) now... will report what I find.

But DON'T use AVC/H.264 with Handbrake... I have not been able to get this to work AT ALL! (If you do, please let me know.)

jaw04005
Oct 18, 2005, 09:26 PM
OK, here's what I've found so far that works, WRT ripping DVDs to an iPod:

Follow the steps shown at http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide until you get to Figure 8.

Average bit rate (fig. 11): I've had success so far up to 1024... higher values might work

Doing this, I've been able to rip 3 chapters from Sin City to an MP4 file that plays perfectly on my 5G iPod. I'm testing higher video bitrates and longer rips (the entire movie) now... will report what I find.

But DON'T use AVC/H.264 with Handbrake... I have not been able to get this to work AT ALL! (If you do, please let me know.)

clayj,

Off topic but do you have a set of Apple A/V cables that were shipped with the iPod photo or could be purchased separately? If so, can you hook your 5G into a television and give us an idea of what the interface is like on TV (assuming there is an interface)?

I'm a little confused on how the remote will work with the universal dock. I see no value to the remote if you have to be within sight of the iPod's screen. :confused:

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 09:32 PM
clayj,

Off topic but do you have a set of Apple A/V cables that were shipped with the iPod photo or could be purchased separately? If so, can you hook your 5G into a television and give us an idea of what the interface is like on TV (assuming there is an interface)?

I'm a little confused on how the remote will work with the universal dock. I see no value to the remote if you have to be within sight of the iPod's screen. :confused:Sorry, I don't have any of the cables... but I gotta tell you, there's virtually no interface on the iPod itself. You can pause and resume the video, and you can change the volume, but I've found no way to FFW or REW within a video.

jaw04005
Oct 18, 2005, 09:42 PM
Sorry, I don't have any of the cables... but I gotta tell you, there's virtually no interface on the iPod itself. You can pause and resume the video, and you can change the volume, but I've found no way to FFW or REW within a video.

Really? Weird. I swore Steve fast forwarded during the keynote presentation. It doesn't function the same a song (pressing the middle select button)?

asherman13
Oct 18, 2005, 09:46 PM
OK, here's what I've found so far that works, WRT ripping DVDs to an iPod:

2-pass encoding (fig. 12): you can enable this or not... it works either way, and does not significantly affect the final file size

i can't get handbrake's beta 0.7 to work; can i do this with the 0.6 version? could somebody try that quick with a chapter or something?

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 09:47 PM
Really? Weird. I swore Steve fast forwarded during the keynote presentation. It doesn't function the same a song (pressing the middle select button)?Ah... that was what I didn't try. Yes, pressing the Select button allows you to then use the scroll wheel to FFW or REW... but there are no chapters like on a DVD, it's all time-based.

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 09:49 PM
i can't get handbrake's beta 0.7 to work; can i do this with the 0.6 version? could somebody try that quick with a chapter or something?The 0.6 version has a totally different UI, IIRC. I am using 0.7 to do this, and it's working great now that I know about the H.264 bugbear.

Dr Riot
Oct 18, 2005, 09:50 PM
SNOWMOON:
I'm exporting the short movie you sent me using the 'Movie to iPod' feature in QT, and its taking a LONG time, its been nearly an hour now. I've managed to do the same thing to the two iPod ads (Eminem and U2) and they went pretty fast although they were only 30 secs each... I'll keep you updated on what happens to the short movie after the exprt is completed.

asherman13
Oct 18, 2005, 09:57 PM
The 0.6 version has a totally different UI, IIRC. I am using 0.7 to do this, and it's working great now that I know about the H.264 bugbear.

thats great and all, but for some reason handbrake won't even open...it bounces on the dock, then the little pinapple logo goes away....i tried redownloading stuffit; still no change....any suggestions

Scarpad
Oct 18, 2005, 10:03 PM
OK, here's what I've found so far that works, WRT ripping DVDs to an iPod... I will keep this updated with any new information, and will post a new thread once I've got totally finalized steps:

2-pass encoding (fig. 12): you can enable this or not... it works either way, and does not significantly affect the final file size

How about Videora's H264? One good thing about higher bit rates playing back is that they will look alot better playing back on Hotel TV's etc...

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 10:07 PM
How about Videora's H264? One good thing about higher bit rates playing back is that they will look alot better playing back on Hotel TV's etc...All's I know is what I've tested using Mac the Ripper and Handbrake.

What I wouldn't give for an iPod-centric version of PSP Movie Creator... it rips DVDs into PSP-compatible movies in ONE STEP (DVD -> MP4).

asherman13
Oct 18, 2005, 10:10 PM
All's I know is what I've tested using Mac the Ripper and Handbrake.

What I wouldn't give for an iPod-centric version of PSP Movie Creator... it rips DVDs into PSP-compatible movies in ONE STEP (DVD -> MP4).

uh buddy...handbrake does that (if only i could get hte beta to work!), instead of choosing the DVD folder, use the detected volume when your DVD's in, and then do the settings thing, and it rips from DVD -> mp4.

can anybody help me with running handbrake?

asherman13
Oct 18, 2005, 10:15 PM
has anybody tried ripping via h.264 or MP$ with the program ffmpegX (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15473)?

if so, what were your results when syncing to the ipod?

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 10:15 PM
uh buddy...handbrake does that (if only i could get hte beta to work!), instead of choosing the DVD folder, use the detected volume when your DVD's in, and then do the settings thing, and it rips from DVD -> mp4.Yeah, I know, but that page mentioned occasional problems with using JUST Handbrake, so I've been using Mac the Ripper.

And it's still more complicated than PSP Movie Creator. ;)

asherman13
Oct 18, 2005, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I know, but that page mentioned occasional problems with using JUST Handbrake, so I've been using Mac the Ripper.

And it's still more complicated than PSP Movie Creator. ;)

but what about ffmpegX (http://homepage.mac.com/major4/)?

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 10:31 PM
but what about ffmpegX (http://homepage.mac.com/major4/)?I've had no luck using it... maybe I'm dense, but it just doesn't seem to want to work for me.

snowmoon
Oct 18, 2005, 10:35 PM
All the applications mentioned ( except for QT pro ) use ffmpeg as the end conversion tool.

Stick to square pixels, keep you bitrate under 2500 ( video + audio + overhead ), and mpeg-4/aac.

A very simplified example...

ffmpeg -i <inputfile> -vcodec mpeg4 -b <bitrate> -r <framerate> -acodec aac -ab <audiobitrate> -f mov output.mov

moesker007
Oct 18, 2005, 10:43 PM
I'm going to be doing the same thing becuase i want pretty much all my videos on my ipod to be watchable on the screen but still look good on a TV. I tried to export an iMovie i had just made by going to expert settings > then ipod and I let it go while i was at work and i let it go overnight and it was barely half done in the morning. I think Apple needs to fix this problem becuase i tried it again and it still took too long i think and other people seem to be having the same problem. So far, i ripped a dvd and i ripped it as a .mp4 file at 480X368 and i used AAC audio. It should work on the ipod i'm not positive but it's basicaly all the specs of the maximum supported size and quality for .mp4's. That's just my 2 cents!

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 10:45 PM
It should work on the ipod i'm not positiveThat's the $64,000 question right there... the info we all got before the 5G iPods became available is, it turns out, not really very accurate... hence all of the testing that people like snowmoon and myself have been performing.

freeny
Oct 18, 2005, 10:48 PM
As for what the videos look like on a tv- I should be recieving my vpod tomorow (wednesday Oct 19th) and will stop by tekserve (apple supply store in NYC) after work and pick up an av cable. by then, I hope i'm not the first one to put these two together, but if so I will post my results......
also, does the vpod come with a manual?

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 10:51 PM
also, does the vpod come with a manual?It's more like a pamphlet... I didn't even bother reading it. (True geeks do not RTFM unless absolutely necessary... ;))

retiarius
Oct 18, 2005, 11:44 PM
Ok updates...

is the the rescaling for ipod nice (like photoshop bicubic or bilinear)
or yucky (just throwing away pixels) -- test with something like
like movie credits text. is interpolation quality better
for identical aspect ratio (480x360) material?

i know you just want to get it to work first, but much hair-pulling
can be saved by just using QT pro to pin down resolution/simple profile
.mp4 issues first, without bringing non-apple codecs to the fore ...

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 11:46 PM
is the the rescaling for ipod nice (like photoshop bicubic or bilinear)
or yucky (just throwing away pixels) -- test with something like
like movie credits text. is interpolation quality better
for identical aspect ratio (480x360) material?

i know you just want to get it to work first, but much hair-pulling
can be saved by just using QT pro to pin down resolution/simple profile
.mp4 issues first, without bringing non-apple codecs to the fore ...The biggest problem with QT Pro so far seems to be that it is PAINFULLY slow... I've heard others quote conversion times exceeding 24 hours. Plus, I don't know that it provides an option to convert DVDs to iPod-playable movie files (which is what I have been focusing on).

asherman13
Oct 19, 2005, 12:12 AM
kinda redundant but...

since i can't use handbrake 0.7 beta3, will the mp4/aac encoding from handbrake 0.6 suffice? meaning, will it play on the new ipod? if somebody could check that quick, with a chapter of a DVD or something, that'd be great.

freeny
Oct 19, 2005, 08:18 AM
kinda redundant but...

since i can't use handbrake 0.7 beta3, will the mp4/aac encoding from handbrake 0.6 suffice? meaning, will it play on the new ipod? if somebody could check that quick, with a chapter of a DVD or something, that'd be great.
Perhaps this is not an ipod issue but a handbrake issue. It is a Beta of course. I would be curious to see if the older version of handbrake works. still dont have my pod so I cant test. anyone else?

snowmoon
Oct 19, 2005, 08:24 AM
I fully recommend that people who are not conversion geeks wait 1 week for everything to settle down some. Even then this software has always been "touchy" and can work on day and not the next, always test your output before doing a lot of work!

For us conversion geeks we are working hard to give you much more quality than iTMS is giving you. It's looking like 2x file size will prodice DVD like quality on playback, but I can't be positive till I have run some more tests and tested video out.

When I'm done I will have 2 settings... one where quality is more important than size ( but size is still a close second ) and the other that is optimized for watching on the iPod itself or when TV out is not a big deal.

Dr Riot
Oct 19, 2005, 09:18 AM
For what its worth, I converted a .AVI file to a MP4 h.264 using ffmpegx and I could play it on QT, so after I finish class, I will try and export 'Movie to iPod', it should work. So anyone interested in converting .AVI files to watch on your iPod.. it works.

(Maybe I can even add it straight to my iPod without needing to do 'Movie to iPod' well see what happens when I get a chance to actually do it.)

asherman13
Oct 19, 2005, 10:41 AM
Perhaps this is not an ipod issue but a handbrake issue. It is a Beta of course. I would be curious to see if the older version of handbrake works. still dont have my pod so I cant test. anyone else?

interesting idea; i'll have to try that when i go home. earlier, i found that i can crop the picture to scale it down to 320x240 using the crop tool in handbrake 0.6. i'll let you know how it turns out, but i won't be able to test it on an ipod with video until next tuesday or wednesday...

pistol44
Oct 19, 2005, 12:52 PM
For what its worth, I converted a .AVI file to a MP4 h.264 using ffmpegx and I could play it on QT, so after I finish class, I will try and export 'Movie to iPod', it should work. So anyone interested in converting .AVI files to watch on your iPod.. it works.

(Maybe I can even add it straight to my iPod without needing to do 'Movie to iPod' well see what happens when I get a chance to actually do it.)

With .avi files I have had success using only QT Pro to convert them to iPod format. However, you do have to have the .avi codec. (Link (http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/)). It says its not Tiger compatible but I haven't had any problems. I've basically learned if you can get it to play in QT, you can convert it. It just takes a loooooooong time.

mrzeve
Oct 19, 2005, 01:07 PM
As for what the videos look like on a tv- I should be recieving my vpod tomorow (wednesday Oct 19th) and will stop by tekserve (apple supply store in NYC) after work and pick up an av cable. by then, I hope i'm not the first one to put these two together, but if so I will post my results......
also, does the vpod come with a manual?

I'll be waiting :)

Dr Riot
Oct 19, 2005, 01:24 PM

Ok, After I went back to my dorm, I successfully used the 'Movie to iPod' function to convert it to a .m4v, but when I added it to the iTunes Library, and try to drag it to my iPod, it says the format is not supported. This is kind of wierd because I just did a 'Movie to iPod' export. I don't understands whats wrong... it didn't work. I'll try exporting it again after I finish my chem class.

With .avi files I have had success using only QT Pro to convert them to iPod format. However, you do have to have the .avi codec. (Link (http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/)). It says its not Tiger compatible but I haven't had any problems. I've basically learned if you can get it to play in QT, you can convert it. It just takes a loooooooong time.

Thanks!! :cool: I'll try it out! I really need something that can convert .avi to an iPod format.

snowmoon
Oct 19, 2005, 03:03 PM
I am trying something new to see if 480x480 video might be possible under the iPod. People that I have been working with have been sent a PM!