Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnazzyMax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
London, UK
Hi!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Basically, I use a fairly old MacBook, who's screen no longer functions at all. I therefore currently use an external monitor as my primary display, and keep the lid of my Mac closed.

However, I would like to create a Windows partition on my MacBook, an I think that when you try and boot up from another partition on your hard disk, the Mac automatically uses the MacBook display rather than the external one.

Is there any possibility to make the Mac think that the external display IS the primary, laptop screen, so that the laptop screen is no longer used?

Thanks!

rcanpolat

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2009
Ireland!
It might work if you completely rip out the display. Then it might see there is no alternative but to use the mini dvi output.

See this: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16688895/

One thing i would do (i know it sounds messy)...

Look up a device called a "USB Rubber Ducky" and programme it to automatically download a VNC and configure it on the machine to your known specifications in both OSX & Windows. Then have that as a backup. In the event that the screen not work (say after a format and reinstallation of the OS or you made a mess of the settings on the machine) you can plug in the duck and the duck will automatically install and configure VNC allowing you to get a GUI of the machine on another machine. This will let you remotely configure the machine to output video through the DVI port

soapsudz

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
You might have a problem with Windows setup if it only detects the Macbook's display. You won't be able to see anything during the install process.

I assume you're using an older Macbook with Intel GMA graphics. Once Windows is installed, you should be able to adjust the display driver settings to use only the external display. I do this with my old 2006 Macbook without any issues.

In OS X, if you want only the external display on, you can put a small magnet on the casing between the headphone jack and security latch. It tricks the system into thinking the lid is closed. I don't know why OS X display drivers don't have the option of using just the external display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.