Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Well, the title might be awful but bear with me. Yesterday I decided to buy this Belkin Car Charger which has a lightning to USB cable. What I simply want to ask is if I can safely use the USB-lightning cable to replace then one I got when I bought my iPhone 5? The simple reason of why I want to use Belkins cable instead is because it's longer.

Now, I thought to myself that this would be no problem since it's the wall charger that actually decides the power output? The original USB cable I got when I bought the phone, should be exactly the same as the one from Belkin, right?

"The USB Port is universal, so you can still charge your legacy Apple devices with a 30-pin cable or other devices that use a Micro-USB cable. And the included 4-foot Lightning to USB cable can be used anywhere—plug it into your laptop to charge and sync, or use your own wall charger to charge from the wall. Great as a replacement cable or if you simply need an extra."

Well I guess that pretty much answered my question and made this thread useless.

But what about the fact that this one gives 10 w and 2.1 Amp, while the iPhone 5 wall charger only gives 5 w and 1 Amp? I guess that won't really be a problem?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
But what about the fact that this one gives 10 w and 2.1 Amp, while the iPhone 5 wall charger only gives 5 w and 1 Amp? I guess that won't really be a problem?

No problem whatsoever. U just have extra capacity that won't be used.

Your household electrical jacks typically gives you 15 amps and we hookup things to it that takes less than 15 amp all the time. Same story.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
Well, the title might be awful but bear with me. Yesterday I decided to buy this Belkin Car Charger which has a lightning to USB cable. What I simply want to ask is if I can safely use the USB-lightning cable to replace then one I got when I bought my iPhone 5? The simple reason of why I want to use Belkins cable instead is because it's longer.

Now, I thought to myself that this would be no problem since it's the wall charger that actually decides the power output? The original USB cable I got when I bought the phone, should be exactly the same as the one from Belkin, right?

"The USB Port is universal, so you can still charge your legacy Apple devices with a 30-pin cable or other devices that use a Micro-USB cable. And the included 4-foot Lightning to USB cable can be used anywhere—plug it into your laptop to charge and sync, or use your own wall charger to charge from the wall. Great as a replacement cable or if you simply need an extra."

Well I guess that pretty much answered my question and made this thread useless.

The Belkin charger has more charging capacity so it can charge iPads and other higher drain devices. It will supply your iphone just fine.

The two cables are interchangeable, except that the surround on the belkin plug is larger than the Apple one and will not fit in some cases.

Of note: The Belkin plug is mostly rubber, and I was easily able to sand it down to near the same dimensions as the apple plug without any ill effects so far.

Also of note: The strain relief is insufficient on the lightning end, and the outer sheath has separated from the plug. I fixed it with some glue and sugru.

But it's black. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.