Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmericanIdiot12

macrumors regular
Original poster
ive been holding out on buying one until i hear them...make me want to buy it...put whatever you want but i specifically wanna hear about battery life, video playback, video out, thinness, accessories included, the new screen, scratchability, etc.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Initial impressions (mine's still synching)...

Thinness: Just slightly over two nanos thick.

Accessories: Dock adapter, standard Apple earbuds (with two sets of foam covers), USB cable, protective sleeve (very rudimentary, but it should help with scratches while we wait for better cases), Apple stickers, iTunes/iPod CD.

New screen: Seems much bigger than the old 4G screen, quite bright.

Scratchability: Yeah, like I'm gonna test THAT. ;) It appears to be the same material as on the nano, though.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
A friend of mine received his the other day and the build quality is worse than the nano. Why, all he did was rub sandpaper over the screen for less than 5 minutes and scratches were all over the place. He is planning on setting up his own website to complain to apple about this and hopes others with similar sandpaper related issues, (or those with cracked screens due to simple, sudden impacts applied to the screen), can come together to raise the issue with apple. ;)

All in jest of course, but give it a week or two until suffcient numbers have been sold and we will see what happens.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
clayj said:
scratchability: Yeah, like I'm gonna test THAT. ;) It appears to be the same material as on the nano, though.

Before people start flipping out about scratching, remember that the nano scratches only affected about .1% of all users.

Macworld magazine quoted Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, as saying the broken screens were due to a "vendor quality issue" that affected "less than one-tenth of 1 percent of the total iPod nano units that we've shipped."
third paragraph

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
AmericanIdiot12 said:
any word on synching over firewire...and what about charging over firewire using an old firewire powerbrick

how does apple expect us to charge this for example in a hotel if there are no computers there
I'm going to test this as soon as my synch is done... still got the FireWire cable here from my 4G iPod. But every indication is that charging WILL work, but data transfer will NOT.

And they're selling USB bricks for the new iPods... if you want one, you have to buy it. (Smart, since not everyone needs one.)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
katie ta achoo said:
Before people start flipping out about scratching, remember that the nano scratches only affected about .1% of all users.
Reread that, it was the broken/bendy screen problem that affected 0.1% of nanos. They haven't given any numbers about the scratch issue.

B

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
balamw said:
Reread that, it was the broken/bendy screen problem that affected 0.1% of nanos. They haven't given any numbers about the scratch issue.

B
Exactly. My nano's screen has never been touched by anything other than a soft eyeglass cloth, but it still has some fine hairline scratches on it.

Again, I move that Apple start equipping new iPods with crystal-hard screens, like those found on expensive watch faces. Scratches suck.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
steve_hill4 said:
A friend of mine received his the other day and the build quality is worse than the nano. Why, all he did was rub sandpaper over the screen for less than 5 minutes and scratches were all over the place. He is planning on setting up his own website to complain to apple about this and hopes others with similar sandpaper related issues, (or those with cracked screens due to simple, sudden impacts applied to the screen), can come together to raise the issue with apple. ;)

All in jest of course, but give it a week or two until suffcient numbers have been sold and we will see what happens.

I thought only overweight obese people were the reason for the damaged screens :eek:

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
steve_hill4 said:

LOL!

Sooner or later, some website is going to throw the 5G iPod 30 ft in the air to test it, or run over it with a car.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
katie ta achoo said:

third paragraph

No. the .1% number refers to the defective nanos whos screens cracked. It doesn't have anything to do with the scratch prone nature of the nano. They are scratch prone and common sense dictates you put a skin on them or put them in a case. Fortunatly the new iPod comes with a case so one can b!tch about scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.