PDA

View Full Version : [iPad] iPad in Case + Charging Stand = Problem?

jmine83
Mar 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
Does anyone know if there is a product solution out there that will allow a person with an iPad in a case to plug the iPad into a charging stand without having to remove the case? Or at the very least a stand/cradle for the iPad that will hold an iPad in a case above the surface of the ground sufficiently so that a person can plug a charging cable in from under the bottom edge of the iPad?

I have exhaustively searched eBay for a solution and have yet to find anything. I've purchased one of the dock extender adapters before, but their no good either because it raises the iPad too high and throws off the center of gravity of the charging stand; i.e. just makes the iPad topple over. I want to be able to have my iPad plugged into a charging stand in portrait orientation without needing to remove the case.

takeshi74
Mar 14, 2013, 08:18 AM
Cases aren't all identical so what will and what won't work with a given dock will vary. Which case are you using or intending to use?

jmine83
Mar 15, 2013, 10:52 PM
Cases aren't all identical so what will and what won't work with a given dock will vary. Which case are you using or intending to use?

I'm using a very basic, plain black-colored hard rubber case that covers the entire back side of the iPad. What I need is one of the two possible solutions:

1. A case just like the one I have, except it leaves the bottom edge where the iPad data/charge port is very open and uncovered. The current case I have hugs the whole bottom edge very closely.

2. A simple, elegant black charging stand that is specifically designed to accommodate an iPad in a case.

Cptnodegard
Mar 16, 2013, 07:08 AM
My golden rule for using cases:
Don't even try to find accessories, just make your own.
A charging stand is a base and a cable. A 5 year old could make that :)